Pertussis 101--i have no idea where to start - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read through various posts regarding symptoms and such and I am quite certain that my dh has whopping cough..he has displayed symptoms for 4 days now and I started yesterday....my dd#1 who is 3 years old is sick this morning...I also have a 1 year old who seems fine right now. my question is...WHAT DO I DO? I am going to the health food store today to buy whatever supplies, supplements, foods that I need...but I do not know what I need so I am depending on you ladies : ....my children are not vaccinated at all and dd#2 is underweight 17 pounds and usually breastfeeds for approx. 80% of her calories (by her choice: ) if you need any more info lmk :-) THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard something about loading up on vitamin c, Just because of the nature of the sickness, I would eliminate ANY and ALL mucous forming foods--ncluding dairy and soy. Other than that I have no idea. Do you know of any holistic practitioners?

I just ran and got my book, it says a liquid diet during acute stage with juices, broths, and water. add steamed vegetables, brown rice, pineapple, and grapes after crisis has passed. Crystal Star STRESS OUT muscle relaxer drops and ANTI-BIO capsules as an immune stimulant. Use B&T COUGH AND BRONCHIAL syrup to reduce sleepless nights caused by coughing/ give vitamin c with bioflavanoids, 1/4 tsp. every hour until stool turns soupy. to soothe respiratory tract marshmallow root, slippery elm bark, or osha root tea or lobelia extract. apply hot ginger-garlic compresses to chest; use a eucalyptus steam in a vaporizer at night.

hope that helped!
sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#3 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Sodium ascorbate. That's the best form of vitamin c and what you need to fight this off.

good luck!

-Angela

#4 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
For most of your family to be showing signs then you all must of been exposed at the exact same time.The cough it's self doesn't start until several weeks after exposure. I know in my house, DH got it first, he was around us every single day, and DD1 was the next one who got it and that was 2 weeks AFTER DH started coughing hard, I was the next week after DD1, and little DD2 who was a newborn, was a good week after me, and then it took her almost a month to get really sick. Start on SA now, I took 375mg per kg, I sipped on it all day long. You can start at 325mg and see how that goes, I needed the high dosage for DD2. Good luck.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 12:57 PM

where do you get SA? only health food stores ?and what form is it in?

DS 5-11-06
#6 of 7 Old 04-23-2007, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
where do you get SA? only health food stores ?and what form is it in?
Yep, health food stores, all the ones in my area stock it, but I know some don't and you can order it off websites for cheaper though. It's a powder, i mix it into water and drink it.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 7 Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 AM

You can get SA powder here. It took me ages to find it online since I couldn't find it in the health food stores around here.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page