THE Adrenal Fatigue Thread - Page 51 - Mothering Forums

#1501 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
I'm one. But it's my understanding you should take care of adrenals first because your thyroid treatment will work better.
That's true. But, from what I understand, only because cortisol helps with the utilization of the thyroid hormones.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1502 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
you may want to look through a few of your nut/seed choices and see if you want to tweak anything else.
Yeah, realized this yesterday *after* I'd eaten like a pound of pistachios. :

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#1503 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
That's true. But, from what I understand, only because cortisol helps with the utilization of the thyroid hormones.
Most thyroid medication has a statement in the little pamphlet that says not to take it if the patient has untreated adrenal problems, though I don't know the exact wording.

I don't have a pamphlet right in front of me at the moment, but that's one of the things people complain about in my thyroid group when a doc won't treat adrenals...it says right on the medication that you're supposed to take care of adrenal problems first. For whatever reason, you'd think the people prescribing would know about it.

ETA-found it online, and yup, you're right, it's for adrenal cortical
insufficiency as you said, which many thyroid docs completely ignore.

http://www.frx.com/pi/armourthyroid_pi.pdf

Cortisol is what helps many people overcome adrenal fatigue, whether they're taking hydrocortisone or using natural supplements to help their body produce more cortisol.

for intuitive readings click here :

#1504 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No! Think of all the lovely things pistachios _do_ have, and enjoy that, and enjoy something else another day. I'm probably going to start shelling some of the brazil nuts for us (they've been reserved so far for our dog, she's old and has issues), they have lovely things, but I'm going to add in some other good stuff too. I'm _finally_ feeling like I can start paying more attention to what we eat. I've been going in cycles, and for the past few months, I've had no interest or extra energy to do stuff. I'm going to try the pumpkin seed butter (it has 4 or 5 ingredients, not so difficult, yet I haven't done it in the past year) and idlis (which are easy, just multi-day). You're pretty darn functional for a pregnant, not-feeling-well lady, so cut yourself some slack!
#1505 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
ETA-found it online, and yup, you're right, it's for adrenal cortical
insufficiency as you said, which many thyroid docs completely ignore.

http://www.frx.com/pi/armourthyroid_pi.pdf

Cortisol is what helps many people overcome adrenal fatigue, whether they're taking hydrocortisone or using natural supplements to help their body produce more cortisol.
The problem is that the mainstream medical establishment only recognizes Addison's disease as adrenal insufficiency... anything that doesn't qualify as Addison's doesn't qualify as adrenal insufficiency, as far as they're concerned... Hence people not being treated for adrenal *fatigue* (until they go see a ND, DO or other "alternative" practitioner).
Thankfully, the first thing my ND did was put me on adrenal support. I'm so incredibly glad I found him.

ETA: It's nice to be right for a change.

#1506 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
The problem is that the mainstream medical establishment only recognizes Addison's disease as adrenal insufficiency... anything that doesn't qualify as Addison's doesn't qualify as adrenal insufficiency, as far as they're concerned... Hence people not being treated for adrenal *fatigue* (until they go see a ND, DO or other "alternative" practitioner).
Thankfully, the first thing my ND did was put me on adrenal support. I'm so incredibly glad I found him.
Yup. It's a major source of ass chappage for me. :

Quote:
ETA: It's nice to be right for a change.
:

#1507 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
No! Think of all the lovely things pistachios _do_ have, and enjoy that, and enjoy something else another day. I'm probably going to start shelling some of the brazil nuts for us (they've been reserved so far for our dog, she's old and has issues), they have lovely things, but I'm going to add in some other good stuff too. I'm _finally_ feeling like I can start paying more attention to what we eat. I've been going in cycles, and for the past few months, I've had no interest or extra energy to do stuff. I'm going to try the pumpkin seed butter (it has 4 or 5 ingredients, not so difficult, yet I haven't done it in the past year) and idlis (which are easy, just multi-day). You're pretty darn functional for a pregnant, not-feeling-well lady, so cut yourself some slack!
Only recently have I started really getting functional again... For 4 or 5 months prior to this, I sat on the couch all day feeling terrible. My floors didn't get washed for about 3 months, I only washed clothes when everyone had none clean, I postponed supper as long as I could, and I have *yet* to unpack (we've been in this house for what? 2 months now? ).
My suggestion to you is this: first thing you should do is make a supper menu. That way, you can sort of go on auto-pilot for supper. I have 3 weeks of suppers planned. They're not the *best* nutritionally, but they're better than we've been eating the last several months and it allows me to concentrate on everything else that has been neglected (including the kids and DH) while I was out of commission.
Now that I have my prenatals back in my supps, my next supp to add is my adrenal support, so hopefully I'll be feeling even better soon!

#1508 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
does anyone know of a good herbal tea that you drink in the morning to help boost your cortisol levels?

Tri-aspiring momma of 2 AP'd, BF'd, BW'd, GD'd teens
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lyme Disease survivor

POTS/Dysautonomia survivor

Endometriosis survivor?...

Infant & Toddler Childcare Provider @

Published Author of WAITING FOR PAINT TO DRY
#1509 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
does anyone know of a good herbal tea that you drink in the morning to help boost your cortisol levels?
Have you heard of my green juice? Or kefir? Bone broth?

Pat

I have a blog.
#1510 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Have you heard of my green juice? Or kefir? Bone broth?

Pat
green juice? NO

Keifer? Yes, we drink it in the morning - does this boost cortisol levels?

bone broth...gross...in the morning?

Tri-aspiring momma of 2 AP'd, BF'd, BW'd, GD'd teens

Lyme Disease survivor

POTS/Dysautonomia survivor

Endometriosis survivor?...

Infant & Toddler Childcare Provider @

Published Author of WAITING FOR PAINT TO DRY
#1511 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 PM

I think it was in this thread someone suggested yerba mate.

I haven't noticed any big change when I drink it. It tastes like a whole lot of nothing, and it must have some caffeine because I don't get a caffeine withdrawal headache when I use it instead of coffee....but I switched for about a week and didn't notice any difference in the way I felt. I still drink it occasionally just to use it up, but I don't think I'll buy it again.

YMMV.

#1512 of 2293 Old 02-22-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
Not cortisol directly, but licorice helps adrenal fatigue by increasing sodium (in a complex way - it's described back in the beginning of this thread.) I don't know if it's as effective when heated in a tea.

On the topic of teas - does anyone know if chamomile lowers blood pressure like valerian does? I've noticed that I feel more lightheaded after drinking chamomile tea.

Oh! This morning I ate about 1-2 TBSP of raw beef liver. I cut it into very small pieces & swallowed them whole. Man, I felt great for a couple of hours, totally energized, less brain fog...then it wore off.

For dinner we had grilled heart again. I'm finally using up all of these organs!

Mama
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#1513 of 2293 Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Two Brazil nuts, a day is considered the maximum. Yesterday, I learned that Brazil nuts are high in copper, which is like "anti-zinc". So, you don't want to deplete your zinc. Pumpkin seeds are high in zinc.

Pat
I had just put brazil nuts on my Whole Foods list today when I read this. If my hair elements toxic elements test showed me at super high copper, should I not be getting brazil nuts? I'm trying to figure out adrenal support since I'm finally going to do something about mine (that I've ignored because I thought the ND was making it up even though my saliva test was positive).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#1514 of 2293 Old 02-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I had just put brazil nuts on my Whole Foods list today when I read this. If my hair elements toxic elements test showed me at super high copper, should I not be getting brazil nuts? I'm trying to figure out adrenal support since I'm finally going to do something about mine (that I've ignored because I thought the ND was making it up even though my saliva test was positive).
I think Pat was saying that you should only have 2 a day because of the copper- 2 also provides enough selenium for most people.

#1515 of 2293 Old 02-23-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I think Pat was saying that you should only have 2 a day because of the copper- 2 also provides enough selenium for most people.
Yeah, when I scrapped my TED, I gorged on brazilnuts (for some reason they were in the house in abundance as opposed to all other food that had been banned). The next day, I had the worst brain fog ever, and then spots appeared on a couple of fingernails in the same spot, growth-wise. White specks on your fingernails are associated with zinc deficiency.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#1516 of 2293 Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Anyone else crashing in the afternoon around 4pm? If so, is there anything you are doing that is getting you through it?

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#1517 of 2293 Old 02-23-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_mia View Post
Anyone else crashing in the afternoon around 4pm? If so, is there anything you are doing that is getting you through it?
Yes I do. Not sure what to do about it.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#1518 of 2293 Old 02-23-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I used to before I gave up ALL forms of caffeine. Now I crash around 9:30pm right in time for bed.
#1519 of 2293 Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 PM

I do, though not as often as I used to. For instance, today I actually sat on the couch between 4 and 5 and read a book while ds#1 watched TV. Normally, I would have been out that entire hour (or at least as long as any of the three boys would let me), and there are still many days each week where I still would fall asleep (probably half the days of a week I'm totally dropping). What seems to be a difference, at least today (and maybe I'll try to keep some journal/record) is that I had baby spinach in my smoothie today (about a cup of raw dark leafy greens ). I ate an okay lunch, but not too much. I have been pretty up on my supplements today including licorice and AdreneVive. I took magnesium and cod liver oil last night before bed. And when I got snacky about 3pm, I ate a bunch of raw almonds and then had a few roasted plantain chips ( ). So, I'm not sure, but thinking something out of that list might have helped today. I can feel, though, that I will probably be very ready for bed by 10pm at the latest tonight.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#1520 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Quote:
You have to be careful of selenium, that's what Pat was saying. Brazil nuts have SO much selenium, that about two nuts is what you can safely eat in one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Yeah, when I scrapped my TED, I gorged on brazilnuts (for some reason they were in the house in abundance as opposed to all other food that had been banned). The next day, I had the worst brain fog ever, and then spots appeared on a couple of fingernails in the same spot, growth-wise. White specks on your fingernails are associated with zinc deficiency.
I don't have a bad reaction to Brazil nuts & I eat 2 or 3 every day (the kids each eat 1 - I give it to them & call it the "magic nut.")

BUT, my zinc level is awesome, so that could make all the difference. I eat a lot of nuts, especially pecans, walnuts & Brazil nuts, but I also eat a lot of red meat & pumpkin seeds, which have a lot of zinc.

Quote:
I've found that eating a few small pieces of raw liver gives me a GREAT boost! I chop it up really small so I can swallow the pieces whole with water - don't even taste it! The boost is like caffeine, without the jitters. I eat between 1 - 2 TBSP a day.

I have a cup of green tea in the morning & skip all other caffeine throughout the day.

Mama
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#1521 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The last 3-4 days have I been feeling good ALL day long. If I eat a big green salad for lunch that helps and of course stay away from the junk food (processed and sugars), but I think what's really making the difference for me is my thyroid supp and my adreno supp.
#1522 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
The last 3-4 days have I been feeling good ALL day long. If I eat a big green salad for lunch that helps and of course stay away from the junk food (processed and sugars), but I think what's really making the difference for me is my thyroid supp and my adreno supp.
nak
sorry i might have missed it, which thyro/adrenal supps are you taking

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#1523 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM

My solution to the 4pm crash (it was worse last year) was less impressive. I moved the kids' naptime later in the day a bit, and I napped with them, and I worked on accepting that I was going to be doing life on slow speed for a while, and that helped with me feeling stressed out about how bad I felt. But since you're on Cortef, should you be getting this? I'd sorta think you could just ask to up your dosage (is it a once-a-day thing? or could you do another smaller dose at midday? My husband's taking an adrenal support supp, with breakfast, with lunch and it's optional to take more around 4 or 5pm). Oh, and my other solution was finding a few TV shows we could all snuggle and enjoy together from 4-5pm, we like Good Eats on the food network and MythBusters (lots of discussions of explosions in our house ).
#1524 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
You have to be careful of selenium, that's what Pat was saying. Brazil nuts have SO much selenium, that about two nuts is what you can safely eat in one day.
Thank you for the clarification.

I took my supp last night and I can already feel it starting to work. I've been experiencing shortness of breath (among other symptoms) ever since I stopped taking it in October and it already seems to be getting better. I am so looking forward to full effects.

#1525 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
nak
sorry i might have missed it, which thyro/adrenal supps are you taking
Nature Thyroid and the adrenal supp I'm taking now is called AdrenoPower - it's royal jelly powder + a "proprietary blend" but I think it really helps. It's hard to know which is helping more b/c I started them at the same time (along w/other new supps.)

Quote:
My solution to the 4pm crash (it was worse last year) was less impressive. I moved the kids' naptime later in the day a bit, and I napped with them, and I worked on accepting that I was going to be doing life on slow speed for a while, and that helped with me feeling stressed out about how bad I felt. But since you're on Cortef, should you be getting this? I'd sorta think you could just ask to up your dosage (is it a once-a-day thing? or could you do another smaller dose at midday? My husband's taking an adrenal support supp, with breakfast, with lunch and it's optional to take more around 4 or 5pm). Oh, and my other solution was finding a few TV shows we could all snuggle and enjoy together from 4-5pm, we like Good Eats on the food network and MythBusters (lots of discussions of explosions in our house ).
Oh man, I think that's very impressive. I've been praying for nap times since my girls were born. Seriously. I have non-nappers and now that they are almost 4 and 5, I've pretty much let that resentment go.
#1526 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Yikes. I just learned the thing they give me to help me sleep contributes to my brain fog, fast heart rate and increased blood pressure.

Of course, when I asked, the pharmacist and the doctor told me it didn't.

I cannot find anything that will help me sleep that doesn't have [email protected] side effects. And if I take nothing, I get daily headaches from lack of sleep. :

#1527 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I cannot find anything that will help me sleep that doesn't have [email protected] side effects. And if I take nothing, I get daily headaches from lack of sleep. :
Tryptophan doesn't help? That's what my allergist suggested when I commented on my crap sleep- although, as I'm learning in the detox discussions in the Allergies forum, it does point to other nutrient deficiencies. I'm just not sure which nutrients to be able to say yet.

#1528 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Yikes. I just learned the thing they give me to help me sleep contributes to my brain fog, fast heart rate and increased blood pressure.

Of course, when I asked, the pharmacist and the doctor told me it didn't.

We take phosphatydilserine at bed and it helps us sleep. I also make sure I take my magnesium and 1 teaspoon of honey, and combined, I think they are all working at making my sleep more sound and maybe a bit more restful.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#1529 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM

Can you try melatonin to help you sleep?

I really think that the phosphatidylcholine I'm taking helps me sleep. Well, that and the magnesium for sure.
#1530 of 2293 Old 02-24-2009, 03:34 PM

Okay, what about teeth grinding at night? Is anyone else experiencing this?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page