I'm worried, MIL wants to bring their GD for a visit - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 09-23-2007, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually listen to my intuition about things, I have a bad feeling about them bringing their granddaughter down to see my DS. She's about 7 or so, but she is not a kid who listens. I am worried that DS might catch something from her, because she is around a lot of kids, goes to school and daycare as well.

Am I just being paranoid? DS is almost 2 months old. Should I just chill and then eat a lot of garlic after they leave? Any tips on how to keep DS from catching anything? I'm not isolating DS from the world, because I had brought him up to see my parents 2 times, and he's seen other adults as well (my one neighbor had a cold and didn't come to see him, they are very nice and considerate).

We had him at the pediatricians when he was 3 weeks (Bleech) and took him to the ER when he was 3 day (because of my mom WIGGING out...ugh).

FIL also told me there is a bad case of impetigo at the schools up in the city, but she doesn't go to the city schools....

I'd just be so mad if he caught something being so young and all.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-23-2007, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
if it were me i would not worry UNLESS the girl is sick presently or has impetigo somewhere on her.

otherwise whatever she has to offer in way of microorganisms i would just consider it a positive addition to my child's ecosystem.
#3 of 8 Old 09-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Spy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you don't isolate your baby from the world, what's so different about this one girl? Assuming she is more or less well at the moment. She is just as much of a microbioligical zoo as anyone else, it's part of life which we don't have much control over.

#4 of 8 Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Personally I don't think it's healthy to isolate infants.

-Angela
#5 of 8 Old 09-23-2007, 03:16 PM

:

Beyond the first few weeks, I would not worry. Imagine you had an older child in preschool. Would you segregate him/her from the baby?
#6 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post

I'm not isolating DS from the world, because I had brought him up to see my parents 2 times, and he's seen other adults as well (my one neighbor had a cold and didn't come to see him, they are very nice and considerate).
LOL, I'm quoting myself now, ha ha!

I just have a 'sense of foreboding' which is not good, it's like my instinctual feelings or something else. Could also be that I do not enjoy her company at all. She's very...grating on the nerves.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#7 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 02:09 AM

Well, if you don't want the kid at your house- you absolutely have every right to tell MIL that GD isn't invited (I assume that MIL is not the guardian of this child, because if she is you're pretty much stuck if MIL comes...)

But I wouldn't use her making the baby sick as an excuse.

-Angela
#8 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 AM

When my DS was 5 weeks old my SIL, her companion (now husband) and his DD came to visit for the weekend. The DD had a terrible cough (those kind that sound absolutely horrible). She'd been sick and was taking medicine for whatever she had yet they didn't even let us know ahead of time about it. I probably would have made DH tell them to come another time!
Also, my step-niece wasn't a kid who listened very well either but she was very gentle around DS. She is 12 now and is a sweet girl and beloved by DS. I'm glad I didn't write her off when she was younger.

Anyway my point is that I was extremely p!ssed with them but in fact DS did not get sick at all. Breastmilk is good stuff! I wouldn't eat a bunch of garlic, your baby might not like the sudden change. I'm sure he'll be fine even though I understand your protective feelings. I do think the germs are good for them and have long since forgiven SIL and BIL!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page