HELP!! Should I be scared? 20 x-rays in one day for an 8 month old. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Due to medical and CPS persecution, my 8 month old nephew received 20 x-rays yesterday. They were trying to find all the broken bones they insited were there due to a calcium deficiency. At the same time they were very rough with him!! They could have been breaking his bones if they were so weak.

He is very emotionally traumatized by the ordeal,but should my sister be worried about increased cancer risk? How can she help him detox? Any suggestions for his stress/distress?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-06-2007, 12:41 PM

from what I've read, it doesn't increase it that much. sitting in the sun at the beach all day, or being on an airplane, exposes us as well, but we don't worry quite so much about that. I can't find the page I read, but this one looks good too

http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informa...00104xray.html

I'm sorry about their horrible experience. I hope they're both okay

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#3 of 7 Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Honestly, with all the other things your sister is dealing with right now, I wouldn't even worry about increased cancer risk. It's over and done with and the radiation can't be taken back out.

Here's a link on the amount of radiation in xrays and stuff, compared to background radiation. Somebody posted it on my thread about mammograms.

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/safe...p=1&bhhash=1#3

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults

#4 of 7 Old 12-07-2007, 01:13 AM

If he has more then one broken bone, he needs to be tested for osteogenisis imperfecta (OI) a genetic defect that causes weak/brittle bones. OI is often mistaken for child abuse, and it can be treated once it is recognized.

I am really hoping there are no broken bones :-)
#5 of 7 Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.
They DIDN'T find any broken bones. Because blood tests showed a low calcium level, they were insistent he must have broken bones.

My nephew apparently does have some curvature of the bones. His (the baby's) father had leg braces as a child, so I wasn't that surprised. I understand that it(the low calcium) has a genetic component.

My sister had the nerve to be Muslim on Medicare and non-vaxing, so she incurred the wrath of the establishment.

I just hope things are finally over with that whole deal. And that my poor nephew recovers from the rough handling he received during X-ray.
#6 of 7 Old 12-07-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warda_Rose View Post
My sister had the nerve to be Muslim on Medicare and non-vaxing, so she incurred the wrath of the establishment.
That's just completely sad.

FWIW, girls are more at risk of radiation damage than boys. Actually, it's the eggs already inside the ovaries that are at risk. Those eggs can be altered by x-radiation.

Sorry for your sister's and your nephew's stress.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#7 of 7 Old 12-07-2007, 03:17 AM

do they supplement with vitamin d? some good quality cod liver oil may help your nephew's bones. I'm so sorry they went through that, it's horrific.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page