HELP ME HELP HER HELP HIM......Need Help With A Child and Getting Him Healthy! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 12-31-2007, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My SIL's son (my Nephew) is a terrible eater. He will only eat white bread, some cheese, cereal, pizza, cheeseburgers, and bare meat tacos. He has had many health issues, such as not being able to have bowel movements(some kind of rectal hernia), has developed allergies, has had a stuffy nose for the last 2 months, and lots more. He appears anemic, and probably is. He has a big aversion to squishy foods(mashed potatoes, bananas), and gags very easily. Some of it is being very picky, but some of it I may believe could be helped by homeopathy because it's deeper than that.
What can we do? I'm looking for a good Osteopath in her area, but I know she needs more.
We need a way to get him to try foods, and eat healthier. And a good pediatrician/family doc in the Peoria Arizona area.
Anyone have any advice??
BTW he's 7 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 AM

It sounds like sensory issues to me. I would talk to a developmental pediatrician.

ETA...

If she can get him eating EFAs, it could help a bit. There are gummy versions, and straight-up oils he can take.
#3 of 5 Old 12-31-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I let her know.

If anyone has any other advice I'm all eyes.

#4 of 5 Old 12-31-2007, 06:16 PM

Sounds like me at that age. Kids can be picky. Ever read Bread and Jam for Frances? It is a great book. I wouldn't do much of anything in an assertive manner. Just buying great fruits, and leaving out washed and sliced. Enjoy a variety of foods herself, without harping to her ds about nutrition.

I survived to the age of ten or twelve on cold cereal, peanut butter and honey sandwiches, noodles with butter, and hamburger patties dipped in ketchup. I now eat everything but broccoli and brussel sprouts.

A good friend's dd1 was so picky as a child that you couldn't even take her to a restaurant. Once my dh and her dh took the kids out to eat, and nothing on the entire menu was acceptable to her (think she was around 8?). The waitress brought her a bowl of strawberries (that were generally used for garnish) because she said she liked some kinds of fruit. She is now 12 and eats a variety of things.

I really wouldn't put too much focus on it. I think it is something that will be outgrown.
#5 of 5 Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

It would be ok, but it's affecting his health. He really looks anemic and has health issues.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page