Anyone take Iodine? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 05-04-2008, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone take Iodine? For thyroid or other issues? Is it safe for bfing? What kind do you take?
Thank you so much!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 PM

I'm still BF'ing and I supplement with an iodine called Magnascent (or also known as Nascent) Iodine. I also take Armour thyroid for hypothyroidism.

But I have felt the best and biggest difference with the Nascent Iodine - I feel like I a whole new person when I take it!

You can read more about it here:

http://www.magnascent.com/

HTH!

(I would have replied sooner, but I just saw this thread)

#3 of 11 Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Iodine can mobilize mercury. I took a fairly high dose (I used Iodoral, sometimes 1 tab, sometimes 1/2 tab) for a while nursing to help my hypothyroidism when a) I didn't realize that iodine could mobilize mercury, and b) I didn't realize that my hypo was related to the mercury leaching from my amalgam fillings (so I have a lot more mercury in me than most people). Live and learn, I still feel sorta crappy about it, but at the time, I was doing the best I could. But on the plus side, it did help some--my hair stopped falling out and I felt a bit better (but not good).

Iodine (and selenium) are two of the few minerals that change dose in the blood easily with supplementation, so if mom supplements at really high levels (I did with both), then baby gets high levels. Most minerals stay much more stable in the blood (and thus in the milk) and only change if mom is really high or low. At the time, since I suspected I was deficient, I didn't worry about baby getting so much, but the mercury thing never crossed my mind.

There are great alternative (non-prescription, I mean) treatments for hypo. One place to read is stopthethyroidmadness.com. Another is ithyroid.com. But it took a healthcare professional in my case to make the leap from thyroid/adrenal problems to mercury for me (and my kids, since my son is affected too).

#4 of 11 Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am currently on Armour, so I'm treating the hypo. But I didn't know that about the iodine and mercury, thanks. I also have many amalgam fillings. I didn't know when I got them that they were bad. It was only about 2 years before I had my son that I got them in. I am not sure if this had anything to do with my hypo or not (dx 6 mo after he was born). I have looked for a dentist to take them out but there isn't one around here (at all! 2 hours away, impossible with our schedule right now). Plus even if I could I have been pg or bfing since I got the dx and I don't want to have them taken out while I am doing that.

What have you done/planning to do about your amalgams, if anything?

#5 of 11 Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 PM

My health has been poor for about 2.5 yrs now. Hypo, adrenal fatigue, and the last symptom for me was infertility (not a big deal for me, I felt so bad that getting pregnant was the last thing I wanted).

When my son was 14mos old, I figured out what was going on with my HCP's help, and when my son was 21mos old I weaned him. I got my fillings out just under 2 months ago (I drove 3 hours to my old city, Austin, TX, to do it because I also had trouble finding someone local--we moved right after I weaned, it was a hectic time--so I feel your pain about the practicalities of getting the work done). So, got my fillings out, started chelating with DMSA using the Andy Cutler protocol with my HCP's guidance. Also, since my son is affected (thankfully slightly--head-banging, sleep disturbances, food intolerances, stuff like that, all fairly minor, but indicative of a problem), I've been doing vit/min supps with the kids (also with HCP's guidance) and I'm starting oral chelation with him.

For me, the choice of doing nothing really isn't feasible--this has trashed our quality of life as a family and I can't leave this stuff in my kids' bodies as a ticking time bomb, waiting to ambush them like I was ambushed.

It sounds really scary, and truthfully a year ago it was. But at this point, I've spent eighty-zillion hours reading and I think this is the lowest risk way to get us healthy. And I am happy with our results so far, we are all showing improvement. There's a chelatin' mamas thread in Dental that was helpful, and info on this website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/HOW_TO_hair_test.html

Not just that page on the site, but it was the one I had up just now because I'm considering getting a hair test for my daughter (I don't think she's mercury toxic, but she got a lot of mercury and other toxins from me--she just got better genes from my husband and wasn't as affected--and I think I might get some useful info from the test).

I think Andy Cutler used the available data best in order to describe the problems and solutions to mercury poisoning. He wrote a book, Amalgam Illness, and has a website, which have both been helpful to me.

Mercury messes with the endocrine system, among other things. And it alters mineral transport--I treated my hypo just with minerals sorta successfully (as a temporary fix, it was great). The hair test link talks about minerals a lot more.
#6 of 11 Old 06-01-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

You know I did have a hair test done about a year and a half ago and it showed that I wasn't at a high level, it was very normal. I had it done through Green peace.

So, you have felt better since having your fillings removed? I don't want to do it until DD is weaned, but I hate knowing it's in there and getting to them.

So far DS doesn't show signs of anything. Well, he does have an allergy to apples and tomatoes but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

#7 of 11 Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 PM

I had that same green peace hair test a few years ago. Mine was nice and reassuringly low. Didn't know at the time that meant I just wasn't excreting it, I was storing it. The hair test I linked doesn't look at the heavy metals (or rather, it tests them, but to interpret the results, it doesn't matter if mercury is high or low). It looks at whether the other minerals are atypically high or low--things like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, stuff like that. Mercury messes with _those_ minerals.

I feel okay, but I rely on high dose vit/min supps (just a general multi, but 3x what my husband is taking) and some other stuff. The removal went well, but I did some prep work and had some stuff on-hand to deal with detox reactions (had a nasty headache brewing a couple hours after I got the last out, stuff like that). It's been annoying, but treatable and I see progress. My hormones are normalizing--not all the way yet, but since that was the last thing to get wonky for me, makes sense it would be the first to recover.

I'm functional--we eat good-quality food, for the most part, and we have clean clothes most days, but housework is really hit-or-miss. But that's been true for 2.5 yrs now. I don't feel better yet, but I've had these fillings for almost 20 years, so I didn't expect it to be a short road to getting better. I've seen a lot of signs of healing and recovery, and I remind myself to be patient. In a year, I think I'll have better health than I ever have before.
#8 of 11 Old 06-01-2008, 11:01 PM

I take iodine. I have taken it for years and whole nursing. Testing showed that my levels were dangerously low for my kids. It does mobolize metals as well as halogens, but I do take measures to protect the breastmilk. It is important to me that my kids get adequate stores and thyroid hormones (which are passed through breastmilk and are reliant on the iodine stores) so I focus on ways to create health and support my system as it detoxes. It is possible to protect yourself and the baby, but I wouldn't advocate taking large amounts of iodine off the bat.
#9 of 11 Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

What measures are you speaking of to protect the breastmilk?

#10 of 11 Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM

specifically I do glutathione, methionine, MSM and chlorella to protect the breastmilk. All of them help in some way to bind the metals and various toxins, but the glutathione is the one really used to protect the baby.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._73959332/pg_1

Again, I wouldn't start off high with the iodine. I started low and worked up gradually.
#11 of 11 Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

thank you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page