Nebulizer - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone...I've never posted here before. My LO is 10 months old (this past week) and is sick again. He has what his ped is calling a virus. It started about 4 days ago with fever/diarrhea/runny nose but he is also cutting two teeth on the top, so I didn't think anything of it. Then, yesterday, around noon, he started this hacking cough which made him hoarse by the end of the day. He woke last night every 1 1/2 - 2 hours to nurse. I've had him on Tylenol/Motrin pretty much for 2 days now trying to manage his 102+ fever, but after seeing the doc, I feel like there is no real solution in sight until this passes.

I'm supposed to keep him on the BRAT diet to manage the diarrhea with lots of fluids, Tylenol or Motrin constantly to keep the fever down, and to use a nebulizer 3 x per day with Albuterol in it. I am so upset. I just gave him his first treatment (this is the 2nd time he's had to have it in his life) and he screamed bloody murder. Are there any herbal remedies or treatments you ladies would suggest?? I am slowly learning the power of natural healing and am so grateful for any information you have to offer.

: thanks mamas!!

Jessica - I my guys!! DH Marty (4-22-06) DS Marty (7-2-07) DS Anderson (4-12-10)
Mighty-Mama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 05-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am so sorry your lo is having so many probelms. If he does have a virus why not let the fever take care of it? Fever is a natural thing and it is the body's only defence. It is not a disease and does not need to be treated. Besides, your lo fever is so low, why dose him with all sort of medicine that his kidney and liver have to filter out again?

Why is your lo sick so much?

You might want to research vaccines in that forum and see how healthy unvaccinated kids are. Perhaps that is his problem, trying to rid himself of those toxins?

I would continue with the BRAD diet and nursing. Besides that I would give him SA and CLO. I would skip everything else.

Here is a post as to what that is, where to order it and how much to give --

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...03&postcount=2

Good luck!
#3 of 21 Old 05-05-2008, 06:32 PM

I disagree. If he's having breathing difficulties then they need to be treated. Little ones can go down hill very quickly if breathing problems aren't treated effectively and promptly.

If you're concerned speak to your doctor but I don't think this is the right time to dump the meds and go natural.

#4 of 21 Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 PM

What kind of virus is this? My DD had RSV as a baby and had a horrible time breathing until we used the nebulizer. It cleared her up in no time and we were all able to sleep again. I'm all for trying a natural route, but trouble breathing is not something to mess around with.
#5 of 21 Old 05-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post
I disagree. If he's having breathing difficulties then they need to be treated. Little ones can go down hill very quickly if breathing problems aren't treated effectively and promptly.

If you're concerned speak to your doctor but I don't think this is the right time to dump the meds and go natural.
:

I agree. I know it's hard to have your lo on meds (and the nebulizer treatments are no fun at all), but when they're too little to be verbal, you really do need to err on the side of caution. If you're worried about the diagnosis, definitely get a second opinion.

Both of mine have asthma and I didn't really want to have the baby on the nebulizer, but one trip to the emergency room for out of control breathing was scary enough for me to accept that in this case, the doctor was right in his diagnosis.
#6 of 21 Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate the support.

In my heart I know that he needs the nebulizer treatments or else the ped wouldn't have told me to do it. I think what bugs me most is that I have this piece of medical equipment in my home which, in my mind, means he has a "condition," YKWIM? I'm probably overreacting about that, but this is my first child and I just don't want him to have a lifelong problem if there is a way to avoid it. I just want to be able to tell him that I did everything I could.

I'm emotional, can you tell?? LOL I had to physically hold him down to give him the nebulizer earlier today and it was beyond traumatic for both of us. The second treatment went MUCH better - no tears, no flopping around like a fish...he was a very good boy. The albuterol makes him hyper and that is another downside to the nebulizer.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any alternative suggestions. I'm frustrated because ever since I've gone back to work and he's been in daycare (3 days a week) he is sick a lot. The late winter/early spring have been much better on him and then this hit him like a freight train. I thought we had the germs at school beat and that I was winning that battle, but I guess some things are just unavoidable.

Most of all I just hate to see him suffering. His little cheeks were bright crimson around 2 pm when he woke from his nap and his temp was 102.4 while on Motrin. That kind of thing scares me. I put a cool cloth on his head and put warm clothes on him (he was shivering ), let him nurse, gave him some water and after about an hour he started to cool down and passed out on my chest. I sat and stared at him for 2 hours while he slept. I am just not dealing well I guess. My husband was epileptic (or so his ped said 31 years ago) as a child, but apparently outgrew it and I know high fevers can bring that out in children. I feel very scared right now and hate that feeling. I just like to feel like I am doing what needs to be done so that my son will get well. Helplessness is just not very comfortable.

Thanks again for the info though...I'm going to keep doing the treatments and hope he doesn't need too many more.

to you all!! -Jess

Jessica - I my guys!! DH Marty (4-22-06) DS Marty (7-2-07) DS Anderson (4-12-10)
Mighty-Mama
#7 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Try not to be so hard on yourself. Kids get sick, unfortunately day care kids get sick more often (in my experience). He's lucky to have a loving and carying mama to nurse him back to perfect health. How's he doing today?
#8 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM

I also wanted to reiterate not to stop the breathing treatments - this is one thing you do not want to mess with. My DD has viral induced asthma and in the past I've never been too worried when she wheezed. I would medicate as told and it would clear up, but this weekend she came down with bronchitis and went from slight wheezing one night to respiratory distress the next morning (I think this all started from the pollen) and let me tell you, it was scary. She's okay now, but is on 3 days of oral steroids and that is really what you want to avoid having to give, but again I have no other choice. I'm all for natural treatment when possible but if they are having breathing problems then you don't want to ignore that. Also, each time they have a wheezing episode there is going to be the potential for scar tissue to develop on the lungs so my plan is to medicate appropriately now to prevent any long term damage in the hopes that she will eventually outgrow this, or at least get better.

I will say that I think chiropractic has helped her a lot. I found a chiro that has lots of experience with kids and I have rushed her there a couple of times this winter with wheezing, cough etc. one evening and with the adjustment and a puff of xopenex, she has been almost back to normal the next day. The change was very remarkable. Unfortunately this weekend it didn't do the trick. I am also taking her to a homeopath, and I'm trying to boost her immune system with probiotics.

Good luck, I know how hard it is.
#9 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post

motrin and tylenol do NOT treat breathing problems

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#10 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 PM

my son uses a nebulizer, has since he was teeny.....our pulmonologist had use using saline in the neb. between albuterol treatments. It really seemed to help him since really dry air makes his breathing worse when he's ill or has an asthma attack.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#11 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
my son uses a nebulizer, has since he was teeny.....our pulmonologist had use using saline in the neb. between albuterol treatments. It really seemed to help him since really dry air makes his breathing worse when he's ill or has an asthma attack.
Our ped recommended that in the beginning and the pharmacy didn't have any...weird. I'll have to look into that again...thanks!!

Mighty-Mama
#12 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb422 View Post

I'm emotional, can you tell?? LOL I had to physically hold him down to give him the nebulizer earlier today and it was beyond traumatic for both of us. The second treatment went MUCH better - no tears, no flopping around like a fish...he was a very good boy. The albuterol makes him hyper and that is another downside to the nebulizer.
do you have a mask for him? the neb. should have come with a regular mouth peice for adults as well. I used to nurse timmy,and hold the mouthpiece up to his nose while he was nursing. It really helped keep him calm. Also, if he was asleep and he needed a treatment, I did NOT wake him up. I'd sit by him and hold it up to his nose without touching him while he slept.

#13 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Our ped recommended that in the beginning and the pharmacy didn't have any...weird. I'll have to look into that again...thanks!!
It's just salt water. make your own with distilled water....the pharmacist should be able to tell you the salt to water ratio.

#14 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Last night was rough...lots of waking, screaming, coughing...I'm exhausted, but thankfully today has been better. The highest his fever has gotten is 100.8 which is much better than 102.6. It never got super high, but I'm sure that was because of the Motrin. He's also been sleeping a lot today, so that has got to help...I'm a firm believer in sleeping to help heal.

The nebulizer seems to make him cough more and I think that is just because it is breaking up the congestion. I hate albuterol...if I may say so. It makes him all hyper and aggressive...looking forward to being done with this.

I really appreciate everyone's advice, truly and sincerely. I just want to do right by my boy and give him the best care possible, but who doesn't, right? Where is the mom handbook when you need one?? to you all!!

Mighty-Mama
#15 of 21 Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM

If it is a productive cough that you are hearing now then that is a good thing.

If it isn't cost prohibitive for you, you should ask to switch to xopenex. It is the same medicine as albuterol but doesn't have the side effects (doesn't make them hyper, jittery, etc.) My DD has always been on xopenex for that reason and hasn't had any side effects. The only problem is it is more expensive. For us, it's just a slightly higher copay, so not a big deal.
#16 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:

The nebulizer seems to make him cough more and I think that is just because it is breaking up the congestion. I hate albuterol...if I may say so. It makes him all hyper and aggressive...looking forward to being done with this.
For my dd, who is on a chamber inhaler, she is old enough not to have to use a nebulizer, in the bigining she was very hyper after a treatment, but after a while she got better and the change in jitteriness, and attitude wasn't as noticeable.

The caughing is from the lungs opeining up, ans as you go along it will get less severe. Right now you are helping the lungs heal. But when you start using it as a preventative or a way to keep if from getting worse the irritatioin will be much less and work faster.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#17 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
If it is a productive cough that you are hearing now then that is a good thing.

If it isn't cost prohibitive for you, you should ask to switch to xopenex. It is the same medicine as albuterol but doesn't have the side effects (doesn't make them hyper, jittery, etc.) My DD has always been on xopenex for that reason and hasn't had any side effects. The only problem is it is more expensive. For us, it's just a slightly higher copay, so not a big deal.
I will ask about that. We have really good prescription coverage, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge deal. Thank you so much!!

Mighty-Mama
#18 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommathea View Post
For my dd, who is on a chamber inhaler, she is old enough not to have to use a nebulizer, in the bigining she was very hyper after a treatment, but after a while she got better and the change in jitteriness, and attitude wasn't as noticeable.

The caughing is from the lungs opeining up, ans as you go along it will get less severe. Right now you are helping the lungs heal. But when you start using it as a preventative or a way to keep if from getting worse the irritatioin will be much less and work faster.
Thanks He is coughing SO much today. It just breaks my heart. I just hope that means everything is trying to come out of his chest.

Mighty-Mama
#19 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 PM

You didn't mention anything about a steroid, but did the dr prescribe any for him? The reason I'm asking is that for babies giving a liquid steroid can sometimes help the lungs strengthen and expel the yuckies.
With my ds and RSV he was on a steroid for a week and he immediatly improved. I may help and lessen the need of meds in the long run.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#20 of 21 Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks He is coughing SO much today. It just breaks my heart. I just hope that means everything is trying to come out of his chest.
I'm going through the same thing- DS is 22 mos, but he is newly on a nebulizer with pulmicort for night time and albuterol for daily use. I have been at wits end too because his cough seems to be getting WORSE than better, BUt he did manage to sleep for 4 hours last night before waking up with coughing fits, so I think it may have just worn off at that point. Hopefully you're right and its just breaking it all up. Hang in there!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#21 of 21 Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommathea View Post
You didn't mention anything about a steroid, but did the dr prescribe any for him? The reason I'm asking is that for babies giving a liquid steroid can sometimes help the lungs strengthen and expel the yuckies.
With my ds and RSV he was on a steroid for a week and he immediatly improved. I may help and lessen the need of meds in the long run.
No, no steriods yet. If his cough doesn't improve by the afternoon I'm going to call the doc and get another appointment or a different treatment. This is getting ridiculous and poor DS didn't sleep hardly at all last night. I'm pooped!

Mighty-Mama

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page