Treatment for Staph Infection - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 05-25-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom has staph. She got it from my brother who got it from his now ex girlfriend. Anyway, this is like the third or forth time she has had it. This time it started inside her nose and now her whole face is swollen her neck and throat are hurting. She starting taking an antibiotic she got from the last time she had it in her nose. ( she didn't take it the last time because it didn't get this bad!) But it is hurting A LOT!!! Shes had to take vikadin (SP?) and this is a woman who won't even take advil for a headache.

Anyway, to get to my point, is there anything more natural she can do?? She hates to take antibiotics because she knows they deplete her body of everything good and bad. She is going to try and get some probiotics. Is there anything else?? It just keeps coming back and she's been sick a lot this winter too!! TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Is this MRSA (methicillin-resistant staph) or just regular staph? Do you know what antibiotic was prescribed to her?

BTW, staph lives everywhere, on everything. Most of it is regular staph aureus, some of it is drug-resistant. It doesn't really matter where it came from unless someone is passing around a resistant staph, in which case more effort needs to be made to eradicate it.

Whatever the issue, anytime you take antibiotics it's a good idea to follow up with probiotics (the kind in the fridge case at the health food store). No matter what antibiotics she's taking, it's really really important for her to finish the whole course as directed.
#3 of 4 Old 05-26-2008, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That sounds like a serious infection! I would have her up her Vit C and try to figure out any underlying healthy problems so she can be stronger and not get it again. She needs to be aggressive about the antibiotics and finish them all, and make sure it doesn't come back. If it is, jump on it right away.

When my dd was struggling with a staph infection I drowned it with hydrogen peroxide several times a day. It kept coming back but eventually after a few months it stayed away for good.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 4 Old 05-26-2008, 12:57 AM

If it is MRSA, I wouldn't mess around. she needs to do the antibiotics and do the entire treatment.

She should also consider disinfecting her shower/tub each time she uses it with a bleach solution.

Also consider buying Hibiclens scrub to use as well. Ask the pharmacist for it.

And she should wash all of her bedding/pj's daily in hot water.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page