anyone have an eczema CURE story? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cradle cap turned into dermatitis, now spreading down ds's face. the scalp seems to be clearing, the face getting worse.

i've been on some kind of diet for a YEAR. i had GD, then i went on colic diet (restricting many foods), i've been off dairy for three weeks (i was off it for his first six weeks), i've been on this Dr Sear's elimination diet for 5 days:

lamb
green/yellow squash
rice
pears
sweet potato
salt

today i switched to alkaline foods in an attempt to stop the burning he has.

i am a lactating woman, so now i'm deficient in almost everything and feeling emotionally low because of it. this can't go on. i'm sick of diets, esp cos now i weigh less than 110lbs and am becoming snappy and weepy.

help me. can someone help me? i'm seeing a chiro on wed, a homeopath this week, a paediatrician (he has LOTS of mucous and strings of white stuff in the green of his diarrhea filled nappies ).

i can't deny myself much longer without falling apart. has anyone actually cured eczema; do they grow out of dermatitis?

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

PS, we are both on probiotics. I am also on vit B again as biotin deficiency is linked to dermatitis.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#3 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

I just read I should wait three weeks before evaluating results. I may go back to a regular diet, just eliminating trigger foods for another couple of weeks. I could do that and stay sane.

#4 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You're not going to like my answer but I did the Dr Sear's diet that you're on and that worked. It took about 6 weeks though for all the dairy to be out of my system and for dd's excema to be totally gone and she didn't even have much to begin with. It's been gone ever since though and her skin is nice and clear. One thing though, when I started the diet, she got exponentially worse with her other symptoms (spitting up, diarhea, etc) and it turned out she was sensitive to rice so I had to cut that out too.

I think it's the Food Allergy Network forums that have one for people on a TED and they have recipes that will help keep you a little more sane. There's also a eliminating foods while bfing support thread here on MDC in the Breastfeeding Challenges forum. They helped a lot when I first started. I'm still slowly adding foods back in, it's been 8 months now since I was on the TED, but it's been worth it.

Are you sure your probiotic is allergen free? It's very very hard to find a good hypo allergenic probiotic.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#5 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me, I took out gluten and dairy and the eczema went away.

If you ask in the allergy forum you will get a TON of info. Those ladies really know their stuff.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#6 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 01:25 PM

Yeah- come on over to the Allergy forum!!

I want to say first that your health is most important. If you feel like you are becoming unhealthy by doing the diet, you need to look at other options. That said, there are ways to get through an ED. We have a lot of stuff in the Allergy forum- check out the meal ideas sticky, the resources sticky, etc.

Also- you should not stay on the ED if you are not noticing improvements. It will take weeks and weeks for dairy to get out of your system, but you should still be seeing some improvement within the first week.

I did ED after ED after ED... and still, DD kept flaring up. It turns out that she is allergic to many of the things I was eating on the ED- pears, yellow squash, etc. So it's possible that if you are not seeing an improvement, you might have to switch up the foods a little.

OOH- another thing- I didn't see any type of oil in your ED list. That is really important to use so that you get those extra calories and fat. I used olive oil on my ED, and I think that was another thing DD was sensitive to.... now we use safflower oil with no reactions. So try to find things on the ED that are high calorie. I'm currently eating buckwheat pancakes every morning for breakfast- high calorie (kind of bland, but they work) and filling- I just use buckwheat flour, flax (as an egg replacer- 1-2 T. micro'd with water for ~1 min.), and water. And then maple syrup if you can have it- but it's a pretty low allergen food, so usually ok.

Also- check out this thread- it has some eczema success stories!

HTH!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#7 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I HIGHLY reccomentd these two books by

Queen Afua: Heal thyself and Sacred Woman, a guide to healing the femanine mind body and spirit

SHe has excellent methods of cleansing- involving eliminating all but fruits and veggies - fresh juices, salads- raw and organic if possible, and doing this cleanse for 21 days.
Also doing enemas. Great book.
I am trying to do it to heal infertility and a cyst on my ovary. I did it for 10 days and felt amazing. Then I got off it and hurt again.
I am actually going to see the author for a consultation this week!
She explains everything in her book ( especially get Sacred Woman but I want a personal consult to help me do it.

Good Luck! Really, check this out I think it will explain and help you in a lot of ways! IT is helping me a lot.
#8 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 04:16 PM

I doubt this helps, but I grew out of it. By the time I was twelve, it had gone away and has never come back.

My sister, OTOH, still has it (at 27), but she continues to use a ton of scented body products, while I use natural soaps or Dove and gentle laundry detergent.
#9 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 06:51 PM

My dd had horrible eczema that went away when we identified and eliminated her allergens. Check the "resources" sticky in the allergy forum.
#10 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 02:52 AM

Search for Wugmama's story. I thought that was interesting. She ended up having to focus on healing, not avoidance.
#11 of 42 Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Yes. We were lucky and it was only 2 food that were causing the problem. I think that healing the gut is a good way to go, but avoidance helps in the mean time or at least gives your body a break so it can heal.
#12 of 42 Old 07-24-2008, 05:40 PM

What worked for DD was total elimination of dairy in my diet when she was EBF and keeping it out when she started solids, making my own laundry detergent and adding coconut oil to her bath water (or simply rubbing it onto her skin, just to relieve the itch and keep the skin supple).

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#13 of 42 Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

how long did it take when you eliminated dairy for your dd to show improvement?

#14 of 42 Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM

For us, the eczema didn't go away with just the elimination of dairy though it did improve within...oh, 2-3 weeks or so.

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#15 of 42 Old 07-26-2008, 12:37 AM

Yes me.

Grew up with eczema all my life, sometimes it was AWFUL. Doctors gave me all sorts of creams and lotions but nothing worked.

My eczema did not go away until I stopped using all chemical lotions/soaps etc. And used a shower filter.

That's it. No food changes, it was just all the chemicals in my enviroment/body.

It's been about 2 years now. :

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (14), Aidan (12), Brighton (9), and Oliver (6) and Ephraim (3) 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#16 of 42 Old 07-26-2008, 03:52 PM

Have you tried putting some EBM on his skin for soothing?

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (11y) and one sweet boy (7y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#17 of 42 Old 07-27-2008, 07:00 AM

Dairy is my biggest excema trigger. I had horrible excema on my scalp as a child, and get it various places still as an adult. I can tolerate raw goat milk, though . . . something to keep in mind as an option even if you can't do cow's milk. I'm also lactose intolerant and can't do even pasteurized goat milk, but am fine with the raw goat milk. Lots of probiotics helps for me, too, and I avoid most grains. For a while I had a problem with coconut and had to make my own laundry soap with no corn, soy or coconut in it.

Corn is actually one of the most common triggers for really severe excema, and it's really hard to pinpoint if someone is really sensitive to it because it's in or on literally almost everything.

Here's a list of many common corn derivatives, and here's a corn-free product list (there's also a corn-and gluten-free version of the list posted there).

An allergist told me that more frequent baths with very mild soap (or we sometimes use no soap at all) can be helpful with excema.
#18 of 42 Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 AM

Oh, and my DD had excema, rashes, mucousy diarrhea, etc too. It turned out she had food allergies/intolerances, a sugar intolerance, reflux and aspiration issues. She is super-healthy now and can eat pretty much anything after a year or so on all organic whole unprocessed foods, grass-fed meat, and lots and lots of probiotics, EFAs and prayer!
#19 of 42 Old 07-27-2008, 01:35 PM

Avoidance of allergens is sooo hard on nursing mamas. I know, I went through it. I was at the point of tears a lot of the time.

I feel the key is to build up the digestion so the allergies are no longer a problem. My ds had severe eczema covering his entire body. What eventually helped the most was goat milk kefir, cod liver oil, and homeopathy along with a healthy diet.

See, by the time I had him, I was so run down and overly thin that I couldn't even think of an elimination diet for me. I'd done that and knew how punishing it can be. But what I did worked. And I think adding evening primrose oil would have been even more helpful.
#20 of 42 Old 07-27-2008, 09:34 PM

Yes, we have a grip on eczema...
first came a total dairy elimination.
Then came eggs.
Next was corn.
Oh, and don't forget fragrance.

Of people with eczema, 50% have food allergies.
Of those, 50% are sensitive to eggs.
You might try it next.
Good luck!

Also, EPO and CLO come highly recommended.
Vitamin D and zinc are super necessary for skin/gut healing.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#21 of 42 Old 07-28-2008, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

thanks all.

i've been off eggs, the whole lot of usual triggers for weeks.

good news is it isn't getting worse. i've figured it out, which i'll post when i have more time.

i will get one of those necklaces, they're cool.

#22 of 42 Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My daughter, now almost 16 mo old had eczema when she was about 4 months old. It started with cradle cap and spread to her face, then neck, over her shoulders...over all her body.

Her pediatrician gave me prescriptions for all kinds of creams and shampoos, etc. and AT FIRST I tried them - but they burned her skin, so I stopped.

Then my mom who seeks out information on the web came across a book Super Immunity for Kids, by Leo Galland [I think that's his name], anyway he recommended using Essential Fatty Acids. Evening primrose oil and flax oil and just rub it all over the baby's body once a day. By the end of the 1st week there was a notable decrease in the eczema.

By the end of the month my daughter had it only in the deep folds of her skin; and finally one morning I got her up and it was totally gone.

I'm still giving her EFA's as they are called, but now she gets them in her milk at breakfast, and she hasn't had any eczema since.
#23 of 42 Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

ok, here's the story and the plan on my blog (start at the bottom post and read up) - I'm on a rampage! : CSS - c-section syndrome

#24 of 42 Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 PM

Calm, read about the specific probiotic choice in this article about Neonatal Necrotizing Enterocolitis: Possible Role of Probiotic Supplementation: http://www.jpgn.org/pt/re/jpgn/fulltext.00005176-200003002-00004.htm;jsessionid=LRfDddgSXkPSyqpNTLgDLynG12L28 Kc87lhFyPLLNJXLlXwRx2Yh!982088527!181195629!8091!-1

My recommendation is to get some water or milk kefir grains from someone and make coconut milk, or raw goat's milk kefir. Or consider raw milk kefir, which will have the beneficial enzymes, in addition to the 37 prebiotics and probiotics and beneficial kefir yeasts in balance. I totally agree that you need to populate his gut with healthy flora. Dh and ds can not tolerate pasteurized, organic dairy. However, neither react to raw milk proteins. You want Guernsey cow milk, it is less "allergenic" than Jersey cow milk.

"Milk from Guernsey cows, goats, sheep, and humans produce milk that
do not have the problematic casein peptides when digested."
http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtcowmilktypes.htm
http://www.a2corporation.com/index.php/ps_pagename/faqs
http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/content/elimination-diet/gluten-casei\
n.aspx

Here are some of the benefits of coconut water (different than coconut milk). It is the water found in young green thai coconuts. Most stores carry Goya brand in their ethnic foods or juice sections. Consider it for yourself as a nutritive supplement. It is amazing!
http://www.amazon.com/Goya-Coconut-W...5572802&sr=8-1

Here are two links to info on many of the health benefits of coconut water:
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/coconutwater.html
http://www.cocotap.com/nutrition.htm

I imagine that coconut water could even be used to make kefir. Although, there are antifungal properties to coconut oil.

Additionally, read about Weston Prices' information about homemade infant formula. http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html I'm not recommending formula, just gleam the whole foods that he suggests as nutrient dense additives to your/baby's diet.

I'm off to read more of your blog.

Pat

I have a blog.
#25 of 42 Old 07-31-2008, 12:19 AM

Consider adding Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Actually, it is an excellent natural weapon against the yeasts! http://www.candida-cure-recipes.com/...egar-cure.html

ETA: CO2 is an acid.

Pat

I have a blog.
#26 of 42 Old 07-31-2008, 01:02 AM

Ok, here are some more suggestions and issues. Buckwheat is highly allergenic.

Most-Allergenic Foods: dairy products, wheat, egg whites, peanut butter, corn, citrus fruits, soy and food additives.
Also common allergens:
berries buckwheat
chocolate cinnamon
coconut mustard
nuts peas
pork shellfish
sugar tomatoes
yeast
Least-Allergenic Foods:
apples - apricots - asparagus - avocados
barley - beets - broccoli - carrots
cauliflower - chicken - cranberries - dates
grapes - honey - lamb - lettuce
mangoes - oats - papayas - peaches
pears - poi - raisins - rice
rye - safflower oil - salmon - squash
sunflower oil - sweet potatoes - turkey - veal
90% of child food allergies are due to egg, milk, wheat, fish, peanuts and soy.

http://emily.erdelynet.com/allergies.html

Another list: The most common foods that cause breastfed babies to become fussy and/or gassy are:
*Broccoli and cauliflower
*Chocolate
*Spices (cinnamon, garlic, curry, chili powder)
*Citrus fruits and juices
*Onions and peppers
*Brussel Sprouts and cabbage
*Cherries
*Prunes
*Dairy products
http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/encyclo.../What-to-Avoid

We had huge issues with buckwheat, cinnamon, citrus, berries, broccoli family, nightshade family, all tomato products, soy (hard to eliminate from diet), CORN!

Btdt, got the t-shirt too.

Please consider adding some (grass-fed) beef bone broth, chicken broth to your diet. It will provide significant nutrient and micro-nutrient replacement. http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/broth.html
Guaranteed to help what ails you. Seriously.

Continue the Epsom salt baths, that will help detox the yeast die-off and add magnesium for neuro and hormonal health and development. (As an aside, our son's constitutional homeopathic remedy is Mercurius also.)

Rotate your probiotics every 4-7 days. Apparently, the gut develops "probiotic resistance" when the same specific probiotics are used over a longer term. That is why the kefir is so much more beneficial. It has a balance of probiotics and (kefir) yeasts to repopulate the gut.
http://www.kefir.net/
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=203282

We used "Flander's Butt Cream". It is made from balsam wood. It soothed the irritated skin. It STAINS everything it touches, however. http://www.drugsupplystore.com/servl...intment/Detail

Consider Silver gel for topical use. It has resolved some amazing wounds in our family. It can be ingested even. http://www.colloidalsilvergel.com/

Soak your grains to make them more bioavailable and more easily digested. Your digestive reactions chemically are transfered to baby through milk. Read at the "Healing the Gut" thread/tribe about how healing the mama's gut, was essential to the babies' digestive recovery. https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071

I soak organic steel cut oats, whole grain barley and whole grain brown rice overnight to make wheat-free pancakes. They are indistinguishable from "normal" pancakes. Dh and ds love them. Sue Gregg has many recipes about soaking grains for nutritional health. It is so simple. Here is the link about it. But, seriously, this is much more nutrient dense. http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/brea...erwafflesA.htm

Increase your fats. Both you and baby can eat coconut oil directly. Add fats to the broth. Drink 2-4 cups per day.

I totally agree with your CSS theory and observations.

Fondly, Pat

I have a blog.
#27 of 42 Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Buckwheat is highly allergenic.
Really? On the Joneja scale (posted in the Starting Solids sticky in Allergy forum), it's pretty far down the page (top to bottom is most allergenic to least allergenic) and its one of the few grains that we can actually tolerate. I wonder if they accidentally switched buckwheat and barley on that list...?

But really, those most/least allergenic foods don't always work.... DD has reacted to many of the "least allergenic" foods- pears, yellow squash, etc. You just have to find what works for you.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#28 of 42 Old 07-31-2008, 02:21 AM

I don't think there's any cure for eczema but we have had great success (no eczema symptoms anymore) by avoiding all products containing detergent, perfume etc... (we use lots of plain sorbolene cream for cleansing and moisturising) and we strictly avoid those things we KNOW our child is allergic to. You cannot avoid everything that might potentially be a problem (over the long term) so get your babe tested and then avoid, avoid, avoid. Our trigger was egg and dairy and avoidance has fixed everything. Hand in there!
#29 of 42 Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM

Re: buckwheat allergies. From what I've read, genetic origin is a variable in allergen sensitivity. Buckwheat allergy is considered less common in the US, more common in the SE Asian population.

We have no Asian blood, as far as I know. Ds did react to buckwheat proteins. We had a very limited diet. Although, we have been able to do oats and barley, not wheat. It is challenging to identify the specific foods.

This was an interesting overview of allergies and intolerances from a scientific perspective: http://members.ift.org/NR/rdonlyres/.../allergens.pdf

Pat

I have a blog.
#30 of 42 Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 AM

My son started getting cradle cap around 1.5 months. By 2 months it had started down his forehead like the original posters experience. Soon after I went to a dermatologist who diagnosed the same as the original poster and prescribed hydrocortisone 1%. We used it but it kept spreading. I cut out ALL dairy (hidden and all) for 22 days with absolutely no improvement. We went to a naturopath/homeopath and his remedies didn't help either.
What did help is cutting out all gluten! Within the week there was improvement. Now, he is 7 months and is eczema free. At one point it was all over his back, legs, chest, arms, shoulders (quite thick there) and of course face.
I know you're on an elimination diet, just know that there are sucess stories out there. We're happy at 7 months, hydrocortisone, eczema, naturopathic medicine and gluten free.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page