The Thyroid Thread (Part II) - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

#541 of 863 Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone take Priority One Thyroid? My ND calls it a *somethingIcantRemember* of Armour, meaning a generic form of it.

I changed to it from levothyroxine about 5 weeks ago.

I was on 130, but felt too low. She told me to double it 2 weeks ago. Now I feel to high. She said there is no pill in smaller dosage and to alternate taking 1 & 2 every other day.

This is bogus and scary to me. I don't want to be on an emotional and physical roller coaster.

Today was my first day taking one, and it was horrible. Cranky, exhausted, impatient. Although my period started tonight too.

Is Armour totally a pain to find with the backorder issues?? It appears that it has 30 and 60mg dosing...

thanks mamas

ETA: I have hashimoto's hypothyroid and was on 175 of levo...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 863 Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
Does anyone take Priority One Thyroid? My ND calls it a *somethingIcantRemember* of Armour, meaning a generic form of it.

I was on 130, but felt too low. She told me to double it 2 weeks ago. Now I feel to high. She said there is no pill in smaller dosage and to alternate taking 1 & 2 every other day.

This is bogus and scary to me. I don't want to be on an emotional and physical roller coaster.

Today was my first day taking one, and it was horrible. Cranky, exhausted, impatient. Although my period started tonight too.

Is Armour totally a pain to find with the backorder issues?? It appears that it has 30 and 60mg dosing...

thanks mamas

Armour is nearly impossible to find right now, as are both Naturethroid and Westthroid. I am getting my dessicated thyroid from an apothecary/compounding pharmacy and they just increased my dose by 15mg. They're mailing all over the country right now (with prescriptions, of course). If you want their info, pm me.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#543 of 863 Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueone View Post
Does anyone track their BBT for thyroid status?

I was told by my endo to track it on day 2-5 and if it was below 97.8 a majority of the time (most have to be at or above it) that I needed a raise in my dose.

If so, what thermometer do you use? I was told a glass was the best and so far that's been true. I trust it well over a digital.
Hey there...

I take my bbt to avoid pregnancy. I got a digital one off of amazon. I like it a lot. My temp is about 97.8ish until I ovulate. I do think I'm a little hypo right now...I've been sleeping 9 hours a night I feel kinda lame going to bed at 9pm, but that is the only way I can function. I hope that helps.

#544 of 863 Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post

thanks mamas

you can cut it in half! so you could take 1.5 a day. Get a pill cutter or just cut it on a cutting board with a cheese knife. Good luck. And yes, I always think something is wrong with me the few days before my period starts. It is no joke! But then my period starts, and I'm like ahhhh...no wonder I was such a witch
#545 of 863 Old 03-12-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalove View Post
hi! i was just dx with hypo and of course i ran to mdc for advice from all the lovely mamas here! i have lots of questions and am having a hard time finding answers online and this thread, while informative, is dizzying to read all the posts so forgive me if i aske common questions that have been answered 100's of times! so, backgroud is... i have an 8 month old, plus 3 other kiddos. i started having wacky periods so i asked for a hormone test and ultrasound to check for fibroids. alll that was find but tsh came back at 14. t4 is not normal, but i cant rememebr the number exactly and the dr. office cant find my labs!! just super, eh?! my symptoms are:
tired, memory loss, foggy mind, no sex drive, irregular bleeding, gaining weight dispite good eating and exercise, moody~ very frusterated with my kids, low body temp (ive actually bought and tossed out 3 termometers in the last 8 months because they always stop at 97.6!), low breast milk production, and thats about it. ive always just thought it was motherhood that did it to me.
heres my questions
1. what was your tsh number when you were dx?
2.did you loose weight when you started medication and if so, how much?
3.do i need to see an endocrinologist or is my pcp enough?
4. if this is related to post partum, will it go away?
5. my doc wants to do antibody tests so should we do those before i start medication?
6. i eat lots of tofu, tempeh and soy milk, do i need to stop or will cutting back be enough? why do soy foods even have anything to do with this?
7. i started the meds today and its called levothroxine~ is that synthroid or a generic?
8. if thats a generic, should i ask for the real thing, and what is the real thing called?
9. how long till you started feeling better after the meds started?
thanks sooo much to anyone who tries to answer these questions. i appriciate it!

I don't remember too much, but I did start feeling better after a couple of days. I like the real thing better, but my insurance required me to try the generic first. Yes, you should avoid soy, but I'm not perfect about it honestly.
#546 of 863 Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post
you can cut it in half! so you could take 1.5 a day. Get a pill cutter or just cut it on a cutting board with a cheese knife. Good luck. And yes, I always think something is wrong with me the few days before my period starts. It is no joke! But then my period starts, and I'm like ahhhh...no wonder I was such a witch
or that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalove View Post
<snip>
heres my questions
1. what was your tsh number when you were dx?
2.did you loose weight when you started medication and if so, how much?
3.do i need to see an endocrinologist or is my pcp enough?
4. if this is related to post partum, will it go away?
5. my doc wants to do antibody tests so should we do those before i start medication?
6. i eat lots of tofu, tempeh and soy milk, do i need to stop or will cutting back be enough? why do soy foods even have anything to do with this?
7. i started the meds today and its called levothroxine~ is that synthroid or a generic?
8. if thats a generic, should i ask for the real thing, and what is the real thing called?
9. how long till you started feeling better after the meds started?
thanks sooo much to anyone who tries to answer these questions. i appriciate it!
1. >100
2. 5 lbs
3. i just see my pcp
4. no one can tell you that
5. yes, they usually decrease after medication is started
6. Soy foods are goitrogens (as are brassicas: broccoli, cauliflower, canola etc and millet and a few others I can't recall atm). They prevent the body from properly using iodine. I cut back drastically on all goitrogens.
7. I don't know for sure. Levothyroxine is the name for both, but it's probably the generic. Ask your pharmacy and make sure, if you stay with the synthetics, that they don't switch brands on you.
9. about a week i started feeling better- not falling asleep constantly etc, but im still not "back to normal" but my antibody levels are INSANELY high

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#547 of 863 Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Hey there...

I take my bbt to avoid pregnancy. I got a digital one off of amazon. I like it a lot. My temp is about 97.8ish until I ovulate. I do think I'm a little hypo right now...I've been sleeping 9 hours a night I feel kinda lame going to bed at 9pm, but that is the only way I can function. I hope that helps.
awwww don't feel lame I'm usually headed to bed then too

Plus it's better for the adrenals to asleep by 10pm so look at it as a good thing
#548 of 863 Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Just wanted to post my experience here with acupuncture. I had 6 sessions then had my thyroid checked. My TSH is a 2.5, my T3 and T4 are also in normal range and my thyoid antibodies are a lot lower!!! First time things have been normal for almost 2 years. Thought I would share
#549 of 863 Old 03-16-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Just wanted to post my experience here with acupuncture. I had 6 sessions then had my thyroid checked. My TSH is a 2.5, my T3 and T4 are also in normal range and my thyoid antibodies are a lot lower!!! First time things have been normal for almost 2 years. Thought I would share

#550 of 863 Old 03-17-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Wow that is awesome! Were you doing anything differently?

I have been feeling really crappy this winter, but now that spring is here I feel like myself again. Woohoo!!!! This time change actually fits my schedule better.
#551 of 863 Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Hey there...

My doctor said it's ideal to get 9 hours of sleep. I go to bed around 9 too. Any later and I'm tired. But my son gets up at 6.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#552 of 863 Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueone View Post
My doctor said it's ideal to get 9 hours of sleep. I go to bed around 9 too. Any later and I'm tired. But my son gets up at 6.
Wow I didn't know that. I thought that if you slept more than 8 hours/night you were depressed or had something wrong. Good to know! A lot of people sleep in on the weekend and as a mom I can't do that....so maybe this is my way of staying rested. At least once a week I like to stay up past my kids bedtime though. I'd say they sleep like 10 hours/ night.
#553 of 863 Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Wow that is awesome! Were you doing anything differently?

I have been feeling really crappy this winter, but now that spring is here I feel like myself again. Woohoo!!!! This time change actually fits my schedule better.
acupuncture....I've been off naturthroid since summer. That's great that your feeling better
#554 of 863 Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 AM

This was posted on H&H already but I'm not getting many responses so I'm hoping I will get more here

We finally got some blood work done on DD basically her ND and I were worried she could have a thyroid issue based on her symptoms so here's her results...I'm really trying to figure this out but it's not at all what I expected.

Her thyroid looks pretty good but T4 is slightly elevated.
T4-1.6(high) normal is .9-1.4 so not sure what this means
T3 3.5
TSH 2.56

Creatinine(not sure if speling correct) is low at .30 so this indicates decreased muscle mass so she needs more protein right??? What could be causing this? How much protein does a 21 month old need daily?

Vit D was a little low at a 45.

potassium is high at a 5.7 but we had blood drawn first thing in the am so she didn't have a lot of water so not to concerned about this one for the moment.

Chlosterol high at a 180
triglycerides-84(low)
HDL-37(low)
LDL-129(high)

So this is odd to me. WE eat healthy which in my mind is lots or raw milk,raw cheese, butter,grass fed meats,wild salmon, organic fruit and veg(however DD won't touch a veg), so mainly traditional foods. Anyone know what this means is going on? All I think is her liver may be sluggish but her liver enzymes came back normal. She had everything checked including minerals and all of that was normal. Any thoughts mamas??
#555 of 863 Old 03-18-2010, 12:30 PM

mom61508,
my first thought is impaired conversion of t4 to t3.

#556 of 863 Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That is a very high potassium. Was it a little tiny vial to collect blood? It might have coagulated. That is abnormally high. I'd consider some kidney and liver function follow up. Or repeat the blood draw, perhaps.

Pat

I have a blog.
#557 of 863 Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
mom61508,
Wouldn't her T3 be off though? Could that have to do with iodine deficiency?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
That is a very high potassium. Was it a little tiny vial to collect blood? It might have coagulated. That is abnormally high. I'd consider some kidney and liver function follow up. Or repeat the blood draw, perhaps.

Pat
We are repeating in 6 weeks. The fact that we did it first thing in the AM could be a reason for the high Potassium right? They took 3 small vials. Her liver looked good and all her other kidney labs looked good as well. I just can't figure any of this out?? I really don't understand why her cholesterol would be so high either
#558 of 863 Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
We are repeating in 6 weeks. The fact that we did it first thing in the AM could be a reason for the high Potassium right? They took 3 small vials. Her liver looked good and all her other kidney labs looked good as well. I just can't figure any of this out?? I really don't understand why her cholesterol would be so high either
The time of day should not affect the potassium to that degree, imo.

Were the blood collection vials tiny "pinky" size or bigger "forefinger" sized? The tiny ones will coagulate too quickly, if the site was not flowing freely. That could alter the potassium, more than other results.

I personally would not worry about her cholesterol! I'd be sure to include Omega 3 fatty acids, avoid Omega 6 (seed oils) and continue the grass-fed saturated fats, alongside some food folate sources (green smoothies?, pureed greens hidden in meals, or a mthf-folate source)

Pat

I have a blog.
#559 of 863 Old 03-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow I didn't know that. I thought that if you slept more than 8 hours/night you were depressed or had something wrong. Good to know! A lot of people sleep in on the weekend and as a mom I can't do that....so maybe this is my way of staying rested. At least once a week I like to stay up past my kids bedtime though. I'd say they sleep like 10 hours/ night.
I think those of us working on health issues that have been building a while often need more sleep than average, and probably more than we will after we feel good. There's individual variation as well, but for me, I was really rundown, it was a slow process that took a couple decades, and extra sleep now, while I really pamper myself, is helpful in getting back to normal good functioning.
#560 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
mom61508,
Quote:

Pat
Quote:
The time of day should not affect the potassium to that degree, imo.

Were the blood collection vials tiny "pinky" size or bigger "forefinger" sized? The tiny ones will coagulate too quickly, if the site was not flowing freely. That could alter the potassium, more than other results.

I personally would not worry about her cholesterol! I'd be sure to include Omega 3 fatty acids, avoid Omega 6 (seed oils) and continue the grass-fed saturated fats, alongside some food folate sources (green smoothies?, pureed greens hidden in meals, or a mthf-folate source)

Pat
I think 2 forefinger sizes and 1 pinky size but I'm not 100% sure. I also don't THINK it was flowing freely...but geez It's hard to remember because I was holding down my poor baby and trying to distract her She won't touch veg...used to love green smoothies but not so much anymore. What about something like greens first?? Haha not sure why all those quotes showed up :/
#561 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't her T3 be off though? Could that have to do with iodine deficiency?
According to thyroid.about.com, the "normal" reference range for T3 should be 3.5 - 7.7. Assuming that that is the case, I would say that a T3 falling right on the low end "cut off line" with a T4 that's through the roof shows an impaired conversion. I would think it would probably have more to do with selenium deficiency, although I believe there are a couple of other nutrients involved, which I can't recall atm.

eta: also the most recent studies are suggesting a cut off TSH of 2.5 so that's also borderline...

#562 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
What about something like greens first??
What do you mean? I don't understand the question.

Any greens are folate sources, basically. 5-MTHF is a folate supplement, chemically 'similar' to food folate.

Pat

I have a blog.
#563 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
According to thyroid.about.com, the "normal" reference range for T3 should be 3.5 - 7.7. Assuming that that is the case, I would say that a T3 falling right on the low end "cut off line" with a T4 that's through the roof shows an impaired conversion. I would think it would probably have more to do with selenium deficiency, although I believe there are a couple of other nutrients involved, which I can't recall atm.

eta: also the most recent studies are suggesting a cut off TSH of 2.5 so that's also borderline...
Gotcha...thanks for this info...
Quote:
What do you mean? I don't understand the question.

Any greens are folate sources, basically. 5-MTHF is a folate supplement, chemically 'similar' to food folate.

Pat
http://www.amazon.com/Greens-First-P.../dp/B0006GISQ6 Sorry wasn't very clear on that...
#564 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Deleted because I was confused about what a high TSH level means...I was thinking it meant hyperthyroid...

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#565 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Ok I'm confused because according to this her numbers are good. http://thyroid.about.com/library/how...yroid-test.htm Now I'm really confused or looking in the wrong place????
#566 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
acupuncture....I've been off naturthroid since summer. That's great that your feeling better
Wow this just blows my mind. Who did you go to for your naturthyroid and tsh check (md/naturopath/endo)? Were they supportive of your natural healing?
#567 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Ok I'm confused because according to this her numbers are good. http://thyroid.about.com/library/how...yroid-test.htm Now I'm really confused or looking in the wrong place????
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsfor...d/a/freet3.htm
that's free t3
no links for the 2.5 tsh atm and have to run right away. but that was the newest rec i've seen

#568 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Wow this just blows my mind. Who did you go to for your naturthyroid and tsh check (md/naturopath/endo)? Were they supportive of your natural healing?
naturopath plus an herbalist but I really think it was the acupuncture that helped balance me but I also take supps and herbs so maybe that too. I want to do more treatments but can't for awhile of course my antibodies are still hanging around but you know how that goes. i also did some homeopathy for thyroid so maybe that helped a little too Yes they are very supportive
#569 of 863 Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsfor...d/a/freet3.htm
that's free t3
no links for the 2.5 tsh atm and have to run right away. but that was the newest rec i've seen
Ok I thought that's what we had checked...I'll have to pull out the labs and see. Apparently I'm mixed up on things.
#570 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 AM

I learned recently that my Dad, dad's sister, her two daughter all have thyroid issues (and myself) we all have hypo but one of the cousins has hyperthyroid. Is this indicative of autoimmune thyroid? Also my older sister said she had "borderline results" once or twice. I asked her what they were and 7 years ago at a physical her TSH was 6.9...they told her she was fine. I told her to get it checked again and if it was over 3 she should be treated. I'm on a very low dose of synthroid and it has helped me so much.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page