The Thyroid Thread (Part II) - Page 20 - Mothering Forums

#571 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
I learned recently that my Dad, dad's sister, her two daughter all have thyroid issues (and myself) we all have hypo but one of the cousins has hyperthyroid. Is this indicative of autoimmune thyroid? Also my older sister said she had "borderline results" once or twice. I asked her what they were and 7 years ago at a physical her TSH was 6.9...they told her she was fine. I told her to get it checked again and if it was over 3 she should be treated. I'm on a very low dose of synthroid and it has helped me so much.
Autoimmune thyroid can be hypo or hyper. I have Hashis and I fluctuated from hypo to hyper but now my labs are in normal range. Have you had your antibodies checked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#572 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsfor...d/a/freet3.htm
that's free t3
no links for the 2.5 tsh atm and have to run right away. but that was the newest rec i've seen
Her labs show her ND tested for free T3 and Free T4.
#573 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
[

Autoimmune thyroid can be hypo or hyper. I have Hashis and I fluctuated from hypo to hyper but now my labs are in normal range. Have you had your antibodies checked?
I did once and they said it was negative. My cousin who is hyper also had negative antibodies.

My mom's side of the family has a history of nodules and thyroid cancer. It seems like I have a lot of family with thyroid issues.

#574 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 PM

I saw that, mom61508. I'm just trying to give you the information I have. Do with it as you see fit.
Quote:
I did once and they said it was negative. My cousin who is hyper also had negative antibodies.

My mom's side of the family has a history of nodules and thyroid cancer. It seems like I have a lot of family with thyroid issues.
There's more than one antibody for which to test. There are 2 that I can think of offhand, possibly 3. Anti-TPO and Tgab.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#575 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=JacquelineR;15205717]I saw that, mom61508. I'm just trying to give you the information I have. Do with it as you see fit.

I understand that and thank you for the help but I went to the site you gave and found different numbers than you did so that's why I posted the link with confusion. We did test Free T3 and free T4 but I guess you were thinking total maybe that's why it confused me is all?
#576 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 01:32 PM

I read through some of this thread and will read more later because I hear DD waking up...

Is it possible to have hypothyroidism w/o the rapid and uncontrollable weight loss? I'm still BFing my 18 month old and easily GAIN weight if I don't work out for at least 30 minutes a day! My mom did RAI about 3 months ago because she ended up having full blown Grave's Disease shortly after being diagnosed with a slightly hyperactive thyroid. I get serious fast and strong heart palps, I'll be clammy/cold/sweaty constantly, I get winded from bending down to pick up a toy, I get the shakes pretty badly during the heart palp episodes, and my hair is falling out like it did a few months PP. It's been going on for about a month only once in a while, but recently I've been experiencing all this at least every other day.

I know thyroid issues can give you trouble with your milk supply but my only issue was oversupply for the first couple months.

ETA: after reading a coulple of the links on the OP I'm thinking I may be Hypo. *sigh* I guess I have to suck it up and go to the doctor.

~Courtney~
IBCLC to be & newly single mama to Ariana Raen 8/31/08
#577 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arianascrunchymama View Post
I read through some of this thread and will read more later because I hear DD waking up...

Is it possible to have hypothyroidism w/o the rapid and uncontrollable weight loss? I'm still BFing my 18 month old and easily GAIN weight if I don't work out for at least 30 minutes a day! My mom did RAI about 3 months ago because she ended up having full blown Grave's Disease shortly after being diagnosed with a slightly hyperactive thyroid. I get serious fast and strong heart palps, I'll be clammy/cold/sweaty constantly, I get winded from bending down to pick up a toy, I get the shakes pretty badly during the heart palp episodes, and my hair is falling out like it did a few months PP. It's been going on for about a month only once in a while, but recently I've been experiencing all this at least every other day.

I know thyroid issues can give you trouble with your milk supply but my only issue was oversupply for the first couple months.

ETA: after reading a coulple of the links on the OP I'm thinking I may be Hypo. *sigh* I guess I have to suck it up and go to the doctor.
You don't have to have all the symptoms. I was in a very hypo state for awhile but I stayed thin my weight stays pretty consistent. I also had hyper and hypo symptoms together so it's very possible.I think in your first sentence you meant hyper right? I too had oversupply for the first 3-4 months of BF. Make sure you get a full thyroid panel done along wit antibodies.(tpo and tgb) because in case you don't know most doctors will only check TSH. I highly recommend Why do I still have Thyroid symptoms by Datis Kharrazian
#578 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I understand that and thank you for the help but I went to the site you gave and found different numbers than you did so that's why I posted the link with confusion. We did test Free T3 and free T4 but I guess you were thinking total maybe that's why it confused me is all?
No, I wasn't thinking total. In the link that I gave, the NACB is said to be making the statement that FT3 should be in the range of 3.5-7.7. If you follow the link in that statement in the link I gave you, you will also come to this page which states that the TSH should be 2.5 or less because >95% of patients who have healthy thyroids (euthyroid) have a TSH which is (between 0.5 and 2.5).
Hope that clarifies.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#579 of 863 Old 03-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
No, I wasn't thinking total. In the link that I gave, the NACB is said to be making the statement that FT3 should be in the range of 3.5-7.7. If you follow the link in that statement in the link I gave you, you will also come to this page which states that the TSH should be 2.5 or less because >95% of patients who have healthy thyroids (euthyroid) have a TSH which is (between 0.5 and 2.5).
Hope that clarifies.
Ok thank you will check that link as well.
#580 of 863 Old 03-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Can someone explain how thyroid problems would affect milk supply?

I have normal tsh/t3/t4, but ATA's and nodules.

DD is now 10 months old.

I had no supply issues until she was five months old. However, I had gained 15 lbs in months 3, 4 & 5, and now a total of 25 lbs since DD was 1 month old.

Milk supply started dropping in month 5, my pumping session amount decreased in half from 7 to 3.5. Then in Month 7 it decreased in half again to 1.5 - 2 ounces 2 x during work day.
Now I pump only once at work and get about 2 ounces. I try the 2nd pumping session and get only drops.

My endocrinologist wants me on T4 but I refused because it passes through to breast milk.

Seems sort of sad that the medication that might help is one reason I'm weaning dd.

Besides Levothryoxin (I think), any other way to help thyroid? I'm going to talk with my natural doctor to see if I can get Armour, but everything else seems normal.

I also do acupuncture regularly and take chinese herbs. My acu. says this will take months to clear up. Should I just stick with her?

Thank you.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#581 of 863 Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn View Post
My endocrinologist wants me on T4 but I refused because it passes through to breast milk.
Just wanted to address this.
Yes, it passes through breastmilk, but so does any thyroid hormone you would normally be producing.

#582 of 863 Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM

I have a quick question. I just found out a few days ago that I'm expecting. I'm on L-thyroxine and the dr. has upped my dose slightly (to 50mcg) but I have a question about iodine. I do not eat Iodized salt ... I use "sea salt without iodine" ... so I'm not really sure how much iodine I'm getting. My prenatal that I was using (GNC) was giving me 100% or 150mg daily ... I just ran out and went to get more and they changed their formula and lessened some vitamins/minerals and raised others and others they added or deleted. Well, iodine is now 290mg daily ... should I be concerned? I don't know if iodine is good or bad for me. I know flouride/flourine seemed to cause me to have the same symptoms that soy does -- like my thyroid is acting up. Is it ok to take this much? They are 2 pills daily so today I only took 1 this morning ... I could take another tonight. I'm confused - - can anyone help?
#583 of 863 Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I have a quick question. I just found out a few days ago that I'm expecting. I'm on L-thyroxine and the dr. has upped my dose slightly (to 50mcg) but I have a question about iodine. I do not eat Iodized salt ... I use "sea salt without iodine" ... so I'm not really sure how much iodine I'm getting. My prenatal that I was using (GNC) was giving me 100% or 150mg daily ... I just ran out and went to get more and they changed their formula and lessened some vitamins/minerals and raised others and others they added or deleted. Well, iodine is now 290mg daily ... should I be concerned? I don't know if iodine is good or bad for me. I know flouride/flourine seemed to cause me to have the same symptoms that soy does -- like my thyroid is acting up. Is it ok to take this much? They are 2 pills daily so today I only took 1 this morning ... I could take another tonight. I'm confused - - can anyone help?
Have you ever had your antibodies tested?
Even if you HAVE antibodies there is conflicting advice on iodine, so I can't really answer your question. One side says that those with autoimmune thyroid disorders should take HUGE doses of iodine but avoid small amounts and the other side says that people with autoimmune thyroid disorders should avoid iodine at all costs.

#584 of 863 Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Can someone explain how thyroid problems would affect milk supply?

I have normal tsh/t3/t4, but ATA's and nodules.

DD is now 10 months old.

I had no supply issues until she was five months old. However, I had gained 15 lbs in months 3, 4 & 5, and now a total of 25 lbs since DD was 1 month old.

Milk supply started dropping in month 5, my pumping session amount decreased in half from 7 to 3.5. Then in Month 7 it decreased in half again to 1.5 - 2 ounces 2 x during work day.
Now I pump only once at work and get about 2 ounces. I try the 2nd pumping session and get only drops.

Seems sort of sad that the medication that might help is one reason I'm weaning dd.

Besides Levothryoxin (I think), any other way to help thyroid? I'm going to talk with my natural doctor to see if I can get Armour, but everything else seems normal.

I also do acupuncture regularly and take chinese herbs. My acu. says this will take months to clear up. Should I just stick with her?

Thank you.
If your T4 and TSH is normal why did your HCP want you to take it? I had oversupply for the first 3 months then it normalized, I don't think thyroid issues affect everyone the same as far as milk supply goes so it's hard to tell you what to expect. I BF DD for 18 months just fine. I would definitely stick with the herbs and acupuncture it did great for me

Are you noticing any differences since you started the herbs/acupuncture?
#585 of 863 Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
If your T4 and TSH is normal why did your HCP want you to take it? I had oversupply for the first 3 months then it normalized, I don't think thyroid issues affect everyone the same as far as milk supply goes so it's hard to tell you what to expect. I BF DD for 18 months just fine. I would definitely stick with the herbs and acupuncture it did great for me

Are you noticing any differences since you started the herbs/acupuncture?
THR has been shown to decrease ATA bc it suppresses thyroid function- meaning there is nothing/no reason for the ATAs to attack. It's said to decrease the rate of destruction of the thyroid.

#586 of 863 Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM

mom61508 - I think the doctor thought it would help decrease size of nodules and decrease antibodies. I was a bit concerned about taking any hormone since my hormone panel looks good.

And sadly, no improvement on breast milk. In fact it continues to decrease. I spent about $60 on herbs and teas the past two months. I now only get 2 ounces when I pump at noon and just drops or nothing in the afternoon. I now can go all night long and never leak or get engorged. Last night I nursed at 6 pm and then pumped at 7 a.m. and got 3.5 ounces. It's all probably good at this point since my dental work is Thursday. Our last nursing session will be most likely tomorrow night. I have real mixed emotions about it.

Adamsmama - I am one of those with antithryoid antibodies and I take large amounts of iodine, 12.5 mg / day. My experience is that I had thyroid nodules in summer of 2008 and took 25 mg/day for just six weeks and thyroid nodule was significantly smaller. I stopped taking the 25 mg/day when I was pregnant. I recently read that iodine requirements are higher for a pregnant mom. I haven't read why those with ATA's are supposed to avoid iodine, but in my personal experience it appeared to help greatly.

Jacqueline - my concern is that I am producing normal quantities of thyroid hormone, but my doctor wants to add extra T4. That seems out of balance, especially for my baby.

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#587 of 863 Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Jacqueline - my concern is that I am producing normal quantities of thyroid hormone, but my doctor wants to add extra T4. That seems out of balance, especially for my baby.
Yes, I understand that. However, THR would suppress thyroid function so your thyroid would stop producing thyroxine and use the thyroid hormone provided orally instead. There would be a temporary increase in circulating t4/t3 but that *should* (gradually) go back to normal levels after a week or two, as your body adjusts the amount of t4 it produces.
Not trying to "convince" you to do it, by any means! You have to do what you're comfortable with. And if I were doing amalgam removal/replacement, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd be weaning! I'm hoping the process is smooth and relatively painless.

#588 of 863 Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Goitrogenic foods: If you are hypo, do you eat them or avoid them completely? Does cooking render the goitrogenic chemicals inactive? Do you take iodine with them?

I was so stoked to start green smoothies when I realized that almost ALL of the great greens (spinach, broc, cabbage, etc. etc. ) are goitrogenic. I'd love to hear some insight...
#589 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 09:08 AM

i do green smoothies with chard or spinach but avoid the cabbage family raw and limit them cooked...
#590 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 12:33 PM

going to jump in even though I haven't kept up with this thread this week! too busy reading about thyroid stuff!

Quote:
eta: also the most recent studies are suggesting a cut off TSH of 2.5 so that's also borderline...
Yes, American Academy of Clinical Endocrinologists recs 2.5. Whatever UK body is equivalent recs 2.0.

You can have a genetic inability to convert T4 to T3 as well. And a Reverse T3 problem which appears to be genetic influenced as well. The more I read, I do think nutrition plays a role, but only to a point. The genes may have already been damaged.

I haven't finished the book "Thyroid Problems in Women and Children" yet but a child's metabolic rate needs to be higher to spur on growth and bone development. My next task is to find out if that is supposed to correlate to higher T4/T3 ranges and also body temps?
#591 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
Goitrogenic foods: If you are hypo, do you eat them or avoid them completely? Does cooking render the goitrogenic chemicals inactive? Do you take iodine with them?

I was so stoked to start green smoothies when I realized that almost ALL of the great greens (spinach, broc, cabbage, etc. etc. ) are goitrogenic. I'd love to hear some insight...
Yes, cooking reduces the goitrogenic compounds by 90% but only if you cook for 30 min
http://www.westonaprice.org/Bearers-...n-Science.html

Goitrogen list
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/goitrogens/

There are also goitrogens in SSRI's and bcp's. Estrogen is a goitrogen and that is why more women than men have thyroid issues (plus we need a lot more iodine for our breast tissue).
#592 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 01:22 PM

In reading the WAPF article posted (thanks JaneS) if you are hypo and love your greens (broc, cabbage, spinach), it seems to imply you can offset the goitrogenic damage by consuming an adequate amount of iodine in your diet.

Am I reading that wrong possibly? I love my greens (especially the ones above) cooked and raw, so I am hestiant to remove them from my diet even though I have hashi so I flux borderline hypo a bit.

So if we need iodine - what are good sources of I?

Kate

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#593 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
going to jump in even though I haven't kept up with this thread this week! too busy reading about thyroid stuff!

Yes, American Academy of Clinical Endocrinologists recs 2.5. Whatever UK body is equivalent recs 2.0.

You can have a genetic inability to convert T4 to T3 as well. And a Reverse T3 problem which appears to be genetic influenced as well. The more I read, I do think nutrition plays a role, but only to a point. The genes may have already been damaged.

I haven't finished the book "Thyroid Problems in Women and Children" yet but a child's metabolic rate needs to be higher to spur on growth and bone development. My next task is to find out if that is supposed to correlate to higher T4/T3 ranges and also body temps?
Thyroid problems in women and children....where did you find this book? Is it worth the read?
#594 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
So if we need iodine - what are good sources of it?

Kate
Fish head soup.
(Seriously though, it's a traditional medicinal for goiter from my tribe.)

#595 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Fish head soup.
oh boy... I can already hear the "groan" from DH with this answer :P

off to google a recipe

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#596 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Someone asked earlier about fluoride... I finally found what I was looking for:

Quote:
from a review of Thyroid Power by Richard L. Shames and Karilee H. Shames

An unexpectedly pleasant surprise was the authors’ uncompromising criticism of water fluoridation. It takes a bold medical author (and publisher, for that matter), to so solidly slam fluoride, which though “currently touted as harmless enough to be put into the water supply, has been used in the past as a powerful medication to slow down overactive thyroid activity.” A citation to the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology backs up this most interesting statement. The authors clearly state that water fluoridation is a significant cause of low thyroid illness in millions of people. They also mention the curious origins of water fluoridation, first employed in Nazi concentration camps to allegedly “force inmates into submission.” (p 173) The authors’ unequivocal conclusion: “Do not allow your children to be treated with fluoride.” (p 175)
http://www.doctoryourself.com/thyroid.html
Interesting book, I'm waiting for it to be delivered to my library along with the other gazillion I'm reading now!

I had to purchase the Dr. Datis K (however you spell his name) book b/c it wasn't in my library network, I hope the many recs for it weren't wrong!
#597 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Fish head soup.
Or you could just eat the eyeballs!
#598 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Thyroid problems in women and children....where did you find this book? Is it worth the read?

Library network. I literally ordered everything in the thyroid section!

I'm only halfway though. It's good for the description of infant sx of hypo or hyperthyroid and how they use the hormone. Not good b/c it's so mainstream and clearly misses a lot for that reason. I got really pissed when she dissed "women over 40 who think they need to lose weight and therefore think have a thyroid problem". There are thousands if not millions of people who suffer from this sort of blindness to real symptoms.

Haven't read the children and adolescent section yet, but will report back when I do. I'll fill you in if anything great comes up. I'm really concerned about my DS who is exhibiting low temps and other hypo sx but whose traditional TSH/T4/T3 numbers are in range. Just like me. I'll be having his antibodies and Free numbers tested at his next appt.

But reading this book made me so very grateful how normal he is cognitively! Apparently I had just enough for his development in that respect. Makes all the allergy stuff that much easier to bear.
#599 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
In reading the WAPF article posted (thanks JaneS) if you are hypo and love your greens (broc, cabbage, spinach), it seems to imply you can offset the goitrogenic damage by consuming an adequate amount of iodine in your diet.

Am I reading that wrong possibly? I love my greens (especially the ones above) cooked and raw, so I am hestiant to remove them from my diet even though I have hashi so I flux borderline hypo a bit.

So if we need iodine - what are good sources of I?

Kate

Yes, the iodine researchers say this. See "THE Iodine Thread" in this forum describing work of Dr. Guy Abraham and Dr. David Brownstein. More iodine can cause a thyroid storm in some Hashi's patients. However, one of my good friends (and our holistic RD) has Hashi's and has really improved in high iodine and other supplements including C, Bs, Mag, Se, Zinc.
#600 of 863 Old 04-19-2010, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
...so...cook or minimize goitrogenic food OR fight back with adding iodine/iodide to the diet?

----------------------------------------

My quick story: I was dxd with Graves about 7 years ago while TTCing unsuccessfully. Evil endo wanted to blast my thyroid with radiation (he was evil...literally laughed at and belittled alternative healing). I said no and ran to my naturopath who gave me a slew of alt herbs and meds. I got a BFP *THAT MONTH*.

However...for some reason, I flip flopped and became hypo (no idea why) and I"m now on Synthroid.

I called my doc today and asked for some labs and a referral to a NEW endo. I need to know what's going on, if I need to change meds (I don't like Synthroid and don't think it's working; overwhelming fatigue, dry hair and skin, sluggish, need to sleep a lot...not good with 2 young kids )

I have to think about what to talk to my new endo about. I want to change meds. I want them to be absollutely sure about what is going on beyond just the TSH/T4 labs.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page