Question about skin prick testing and blood test for allergies in child. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 11-02-2008, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4yo has eczema. We eliminated gluten about a month ago. That has done a pretty good job of keeping us off the prescription cream. We haven't had to use it since we went gluten free. We spent 2 weeks at the beach though and the salt water was really good for the skin and just about totally cleared him up. Since we have been back and gone gluten free, his skin has stayed pretty good. I was starting to see some areas come back so I am now eliminating dairy.

My question is this. We are scheduled for a consult at the allergy clinic Nov 24th. After that, we will schedule either the skin prick test or the blood test. I am not sure which one he will do. Am I doing this all wrong by taking him off dairy NOW? I took him off dairy almost a week ago. So far, I haven't noticed any changes for the better in his skin. Does he need to be consuming dairy for the test to be accurate? I sure hate to stop what I started but I do want accurate test results.

Thanks,
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 AM

When I had my son tested, they said that it didn;t matter what he was exosed to before the test. It would not change the results. Just don't give any antihistamines, like benedryl, or other allergy meds. If your son is currently taking them, call and ask when to take him off them.
#3 of 5 Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 AM

My son hasn't had any dairy in nearly 2 years, but still tests strongly allergic to it by SPT. Like the PP said, antihistamines are really the things that will affect the results - a lot of drugs have some antihistamine affect that you wouldn't think do, so it's worth checking with the clinic to see what he can't have.

#4 of 5 Old 11-02-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, great! He is not taking any drugs by mouth. He was on a prescription cream but we haven't used it in over a month. Glad to hear I can continue my dairy free trial.

Does anyone know how long until I see results in his skin regarding his eczema? I would think after a week off dairy I would start to see some improvement if he were allergic. His skin is his only symptom and always has been. In fact, he may be a tad worse this morning. Is it possible to get worse before it gets better?

Thanks,
Sandy
#5 of 5 Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The other thing is, if the skin/blood tests are negative, it doesn't mean the food isn't affecting your child. It just means it's an IgG (intolerance) response and not an IgE (allergy) response. My DD got eczema from corn and it didn't show up on IgE tests. But I could definitely see the cause and effect in her diet.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page