Anyone else anemic? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am cronically anemic. At my 11 week check my levels were low,low,low.
My levels wern't great before I got pregnant. I am still nursing a 2 yr old.

anyway I just switched from the regular nasty iron pills to some nice, organic ones my Dad sent me. They have sea kelp and some other goodies in them. They aren't upsetting my tummy like the other ones. I also take a multi with iron.

I am really struggling to get enough iron rich foods because I just have no interest in cooking right now. It's to hot and I am to wiped out. My kids are not happy campers....lots of bean burritos and sandwiches.

It's a drag to be so tired. I am hoping this new iron does the trick, along with the C and B's.

What are you all doing for your anemia? If you feel like a blob what CAN you make easy that is iron rich?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 PM

i've got low iron too. i'm on a liquid iron supplement. i feel so tired and crappy too. i haven't been doing great on the iron rich food front as i'm still having major food aversions and loss of appetite.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#3 of 7 Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definately a problem I've had. I am nursing a two year old too. Floradix +herbs (liquid iron supplement, and easy on digestion) made all the difference. You can get it at most vitamin stores.

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS10, DS8, DD5, DD3 and DS1)

#4 of 7 Old 07-26-2008, 12:39 AM

Im on a liquid iron on top of my prenatals but it made my tummy hurt so much that i had to go off of t, my tummys better BUT im tird as hell....

OP...what kind are you on now?..are they vegetarian?

Im having a really hard time with iron rich foods, i dont eat meat, and i find when i do as crazy as this is, my iron levels are worse!

Ive been drinking miso soup with seaweed, tofu, and shitaki mushrooms(when i can handle the mushrooms), eating spinich whenever i can too

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#5 of 7 Old 07-26-2008, 08:27 PM

I second the Floradix liquid herbal iron supplement. I had boderline low iron with my last pregnancy....and took it twice a day starting at my second trimester...did the trick!

Christine (wife, mom, doula for 8 years, and midwifery student)
DD12, DS10, DS7, DS4.5, DS2.5, & #6, a boy, due mid-Sept. plan 5th home waterbirth

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36** stork-boy.gif 40**
#6 of 7 Old 07-26-2008, 08:51 PM

I battled anemia last pregnancy, this time I'm doing pretty well though so far. In addition to the supplements already suggested by PP:

If you eat meat, bison is extremely high in iron, and if reflux isn't an issue, you can get an easy super-iron-rich meal by throwing it in a pot with some beans to make chili.

If you are vegetarian, veggie chili is still pretty good on the iron. Up the iron content by adding iron-rich veggies like spinach. And in either case, it's an easy meal to make and you can freeze and eat leftovers for quite some time if you make a big pot.

T , mom to S and C
#7 of 7 Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 AM

i am just a shade anemic. i guess the cut off is 12 & i'm 11.something.
midwife suggested prune juice.

DD 12/08

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page