iso toddler-friendly books that are anti-racist, queer-friendly, feminist - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The thread on censoring your kids' books got me thinking, my son's library could use a little overhaul.

I want more books featuring people of color in the starring roles, strong females and sensitive males, and family configurations other than mommy & daddy.

Whatcha got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-21-2006, 04:19 PM

We have a few great ones, not for sale but wrth looking up.

Queer: The daddy machine, and one dad two dad brown dad blue dad. Both by the same author, the dady machines way better.

Library Lil: my partner described this as the perfect book "anti-tv, strong female lead and men who can change! And its a good read.

Labour: Click clack moo: cows that type, great book. Strike: kinda boring but my son loves it.

General resistance: Brave Potatoes

We've had to special order all of these so it can be pricey. Keep an eye on the IWW's kids books they often have good stuff pretty cheap.

Heather
#3 of 3 Old 06-21-2006, 04:24 PM

Oh I forgot my favorite:

The Pirate Queen by emily arnold mccully, its out of print but mass produced so pretty cheap online used. This book is a little older but i read it to my ds anyway. Its about a the Irish pirate Grace Omallys life. Its great it features her as a kid, fighting, marrying for property aquisition, general pirating, and meeting the queen of england! Kinda sucks that in the real story she basically sold out to the colonizing queen in exchange for protection of her own lands. But this is made up for by the page where she gives birth and is bfing her baby on the ship, then a battle starts and she puts down her baby and runs up to the deck and whips a blunderbuss out of her cloths!

I also plan to move to pippy longstockings as soon as possible.
Heather

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page