Journal Swap - any interest? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 49 Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had the little PM thing pop up as I was creating the list for the 1st reply.

Does the post look ok? Is it to long/involved? Did I forget anything? Is 20 mamas to many? We're at 16 who are interested..

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammakerry View Post
I had the little PM thing pop up as I was creating the list for the 1st reply.

Does the post look ok? Is it to long/involved? Did I forget anything? Is 20 mamas to many? We're at 16 who are interested..
I'm thinking 20 mamas might be pushing it- but I also think if we are each given one week to write that's a 20 week swap which totals to slightly over 4 months. Which average maybe $3/week in mailing (over estimation here) that would be $60 over all spanned over 4 months time.

I honestly think this would be two swaps going on at once. It would cut down time, and that's all I really am concerned about. $3/week for me isn't bad (and again0 that's over estimation) I'd be willing to host the mirror image swap if this get's split.

GREAT MOM to dd (5), dd (1) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]. Married to a Navy Veteran!
#33 of 49 Old 01-15-2007, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking of splitting it into two groups.. but then I'd want to participate in both! :

And yes, it would work out to be around $3 a week (that's what I'm budgeting for..) I don't know.. anyone else have any thoughts?

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#34 of 49 Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of splitting it into two groups.. but then I'd want to participate in both! :

And yes, it would work out to be around $3 a week (that's what I'm budgeting for..) I don't know.. anyone else have any thoughts?
Well I was wondering about that myself. I have a feeling this will be a popular and likely continuous swap even after this one completes itself. If people wanted to continue participating there is always the option to have the original (perferably ongoing) organizer(s) switch up what groups they are in. kwim?

#35 of 49 Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Very true. I added this to the other thread as well, so it's not like some participants don't know that there's been a discussion going about it. :

ETA: We're going to need a tribe: "Journal Project Mamas!"

#36 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Very true. I added this to the other thread as well, so it's not like some participants don't know that there's been a discussion going about it. :

ETA: We're going to need a tribe: "Journal Project Mamas!"
https://www.mothering.com/discussion...99#post7026999

#37 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Since I'm organizing the journal project (and I'm on a power trip... : ) I've said this in the swap about making it smaller:

Quote:
We will be capping this swap at 20 mamas, as the more we have the longer it will take. If you are closed out, I'm sorry.. but you're more than welcome to steal the idea and start another! Also, I will keep a waiting list in case anyone changes their mind.

It has been mentioned that perhaps we should split this into two swaps, 10 mamas each, to cut back on time/costs. I'm thinking this swap will be a longer version, as I've opened it to 20 mamas, and I personally would like a longer one (cause I'm selfish... ) If you'd like a shorter one, feel free to pop over to the interest thread and see of you can't get a second Journal Project going!
I am in no way trying to be mean at all, so I hope no one sees it like that! Please please please! If you are interested in a smaller journal swap say your interested! I'm sure we can find someone to coordinate it, and if no one else is able I'll ask the mods for special permission to organize two swaps at once. In fact, Ambrose has offered to organize a second journal swap, although I'm not sure I'm willing to let her out of mine. I want to read her entries!

#38 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Since I'm organizing the journal project (and I'm on a power trip... : ) I've said this in the swap about making it smaller:

I am in no way trying to be mean at all, so I hope no one sees it like that! Please please please! If you are interested in a smaller journal swap say your interested! I'm sure we can find someone to coordinate it, and if no one else is able I'll ask the mods for special permission to organize two swaps at once. In fact, Ambrose has offered to organize a second journal swap, although I'm not sure I'm willing to let her out of mine. I want to read her entries!
I think you can I could work something out about that mamakerry- I wouoldn't worry. But Yes I would be more than happy to Host a January Journal Project #2 (Swap).

Just let me know...

thanks Kerry- now I'm all brainstorming ideas on my word doc program. You are so bad! How we could switch it up for repeat partici[ants and everything. You are feeding my addiction. Shame on you.

#39 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I like the idea of switching up the participants.. and CandyApple brought up a good point, that some people may lose interest in a 7 month long swap. Hmm....

I'd love for more mamas to come chime in with their thoughts!

Oh, and as for dealing with who sends to who.. I printed out a map of the US and Canada and I'm writing names on states/providences when I get your PM with your address. Then I can just draw a circlish thing on the map and it will be all set! (I'm so proud!)

#40 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 PM

Yes, 7 months is way to long!
I think the 4 months is going to be good.
#41 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Can I change my mind enough times? : Here's my latest thought on splitting this swap. I'm even leaning toward opening it to 30 mamas (3 groups) should that many be interested before the close date.. We'll see.

Quote:
It has been mentioned that perhaps we should split this into two swaps, 10 mamas each, to cut back on time/costs. I changed my mind on this.. as 20 mamas means 7 months, so I'll split this up into 2 groups of 10 each, because that makes it closer to 3-4 months. I'm not sure how I'll split it yet, so feel free to sign up. If we've hit 20 and you still want to participate, please post to be added to the waiting list, because 24 mamas could mean 3 groups of 8, etc.. We'll see how it all works out.

PLEASE if you have an opinion on this number of mamas thing PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us your opinion! It's an ongoing discussion!

#42 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip_mama View Post
Yes, 7 months is way to long!
I think the 4 months is going to be good.
:
#43 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll definately split it. 7 months is to long! Next question - split by region? (west coast/east cost) or by joining time, or just make sure all circles go around the countries? What do you think?

#44 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 05:01 PM

This sounds like a neat idea!

I'd like to join.

I haven't written in a journal since high school, though...and that was MANY moons ago.

I think it would be neat to have the jourals go around the country, rather than stay in a certain region.
#45 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Can you post to the actual swap thread/PM me? Just to keep things organized in my head..

#46 of 49 Old 01-16-2007, 06:54 PM

oops!

I didn't see the actual swap thread.

Sent you a pm.
#47 of 49 Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM

So mamakarry- Are you going to be splitting the groups and do it all within this one or did you want me to start a mirror image project?

#48 of 49 Old 01-17-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to just split the current swap into groups, making sure they all go around the country(ies!)

#49 of 49 Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

For those of you who posted that you were interested in the journal swap but havn't signed up, here's a reminder! Sign ups close tommorrow night!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page