Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (https://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   MDC Swaps (https://www.mothering.com/forum/462-mdc-swaps/)
-   -   Journal Swap - any interest? (https://www.mothering.com/forum/462-mdc-swaps/594700-journal-swap-any-interest.html)

Haydee 01-13-2007 03:31 PM

This would be a journal swap. I'd be happy to organize. I have PM'd a mod to see if this would count toward your 3 total swaps, because it would be a longish swap.

I'm very interested in what the lives of other MDC mamas are like. I know mine can be crazy busy at times!

My thought is this: Every mama writes in a journal for 4-5 out of 7 days, then mails the journal to another mama. You can write whatever you feel like. We each write in whatever journal we have for a week, then pass it on. (Is this making sense?) We keep going until we get our origional journal back.

Every mama who wants to participate would buy a journal. Your choice on style/size, just pick something a decent size to ship. Maybe we can just keep reusing those bubble wrap mailers from the PO, just taping a new address over the old. This is a time commitment.. we all know that things happen, that's why I was thinking writing 4-5 out of 7 days in a week? Does that sound like to much? Of course you'd be welcome to write more often than 4-5 entries, and we'd all be reading the entries that came before ours!

Am I making any sense here? Is anyone interested? I'd really like to do this.

(I stole this idea from another board, but I can't remember which one : )

Salihah 01-13-2007 04:13 PM

This sounds really unique and fun!! I'd love to do it! Who else is interested so it could get a good start?

lalaland42 01-13-2007 04:38 PM

This *does* sound like fun. I am currently in 3 swaps though so it would have to wait a week or two until I am finished with them before I could commit though.

CandyApple 01-13-2007 05:33 PM

I'd be in! This sounds like a lot of fun!

I'm not sure about the whole timing thing, but there is the possibility of shipping media mail or even just electronically online???

Haydee 01-13-2007 05:53 PM

I thought about doing it electronically, but writing with a pen and paper feels alot different to me than typing. : I don't know. I figured once we had some people interested we could discuss shipping options.

Also, when I create the list I thought I'd try to have it work something like this: You always mail to the same mama, soo..

Mama A to Mama B, Mama B to Mama C, Mama C to Mama D, etc..

Then I'd take out a pretty map and see if there was a way so each mama would ship to another mama closeish to her, to save on shipping. Then the journals would travel in a circle around the country.

Once DS is done in the tub I'll come back and edit the first post to change this from an interest thread to an actual swap thread, but I'll have sign ups open for a while, does that sound good?

Haydee 01-13-2007 06:03 PM

Well.. I just read the swap rules, and coordinators need to have participated in at least 4 swaps. This means I can't open this as a real swap until I've sent out the items for either the postcard swap or the January reg. swap, because right now I've finished 3 swaps.

I'll just keep this an interest/discussion thread.

Haydee 01-13-2007 06:19 PM

How many times can I reply to my own thread?

Thoughts on postage:
Priority Mail flat rate envelopes - As long as we all pick a journal that fits in this sized envelope, shipping would be $4.55 each time (including DC.) If we get 7 mamas that makes $31.85 over 2+ months (not bad considering most swaps are $20 minimum. If we choose this it means no extra costs for packaging too. This takes 2-3 days.

First Class Mail -With this we could probably reuse the bubble envelope, so the cost of packaging would be very low. Shipping from Albany, NY to Denver, CO for an 8 oz. package is $2.07; 12 oz is $3.03. If we get 7 mamas this makes around $20-25 total, because that price does not include DC. This takes 3-5 days.

Media Mail, book rate - Again, we could probably reuse the bubble envelope. Shipping from Albany NY to Denver CO is $1.59 for both 8 and 12 oz. If we get 7 mamas this is around $15-20 total, because I didn't include DC in that price either. This takes 6-10 days.

All these prices were found using the usps postal calculator on the usps website. I used Albany and Denver because I live near Albany and my sister lives in Denver, so I had the zip codes.

Personally I think sending them in the Priority Mail flat rate envelope isn't that much more expensive, and it's alot faster. I'm up for a conversation about it though, not trying to dictate.

Millie Ivy 01-13-2007 09:53 PM

I am interested,whenever this gets going. Subbing!

MamaKalena 01-13-2007 10:10 PM

Very unique idea. I would be interested in participating, too.

CandyApple 01-13-2007 10:31 PM

Thanks for doing all the research on the postage, I agree that the priority really isn't that bad in comparison.

I also agree there is a different feel when you write with a pen, and it means less computer time, which is a plus for me!

Ooh- I can't wait!
Amanda

Ambrose 01-14-2007 11:46 AM

I'm in- Hey can I start now.... (writing I mean)

Haydee 01-14-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I'm in- Hey can I start now.... (writing I mean)
I was just thinking that last night when I went to bed. I'm going to go journal shopping as soon as I can!

I was going to ask that before you write anything in each new journal that you write something similar to a signature.. just so we can know a little about your family before we start reading about it. Maybe something like

Quote:
Kerry (mammakerry), single mama in school for social work. We live in Albany, NY. DD (name) is 9 years old, and DS (name) is 4.
Then if you start writing something about one of your DC we'll know who they are.

Dar 01-14-2007 02:50 PM

I'd be interested, but the priority mail rate would be too much for me. Since we're really only talking about maybe 50 pages (if 7 mamas each write 7 pages, that would be 49) or 25 sheets... first class, that would be very light, and first class is usually only a day or so longer than priority, IME. Even if it was bound somehow, it would still be pretty light, if we got thinnish journals.. or made them. DC is only an additional .14 on non-priority mail, if you print it out at home. Yes, I'm cheap (and broke). Even media mail *usually* goes pretty quickly, except during December... but not always, I guess.

FWIW, for items under a pound the rates for anywhere in the United States are the same, so sending to a mama who is geographically close wouldn't save anything on shipping.. but it would save us some time, because the packages would arrive more quickly.

dar

Haydee 01-14-2007 03:06 PM

I'd be good with using the first class shipping instead. I've ordered some books on half.com that were sent media mail that took over a month, and that was in August, so I don't know how much I trust that.

I do know that I write alot, and it looks like we already have more than 7 mamas interested, so 50 pages may not be enough. I'd probably aim for 100, which would still be pretty light.

MissSavannahsMommy 01-14-2007 04:23 PM

I'm interested! Count me in! :

JustVanessa 01-14-2007 07:05 PM

Can canadian mamas participate? I would love love love to do this. I can ship to an American mama, I don't mind at all. Count me in.

lalaland42 01-14-2007 08:10 PM

Hi Vanessa,

I wouldn't mind shipping to Canada, it might take a little longer to get there though.

beansricerevolt 01-14-2007 08:25 PM

count me in!
Please keep us updated on when we can start this! I already have an empty journal waiting
I LOVE to sketch. Would mamas be ok if I sketched out a couple of my days along with some captions to help describe?

Ambrose 01-14-2007 09:25 PM

I could ship to Canada- it's a small thing- ought not cost a lot.

trinity6232000 01-14-2007 09:37 PM

I'm interested as well Kerry. :

+When we know all that are interested I would be willing to figure out a
map for you if you like. I have plenty of time on my hands these days.

Great idea.

LotusBirthMama 01-14-2007 10:22 PM

I am super interested!!! Count me in!

Haydee 01-15-2007 12:18 AM

I'm up for Canadian mamas participating. And any papas are welcome as well.

When I journal it's never just writing.. you'll get little sketches, sometimes I tape things in, I was thinking I might put a pic of me and DC in as well. I'd say ANYTHING can go into them, as long as it fits. (I'd even like some yummy vegetarian recipies or a knitting pattern or something! )

I'm just waiting on a PM from the Postcard swap of addresses and I'll get my cards out ASAP so we can start this. Should we cap it at a certain number of mamas? The more participants the longer this would go, and the more the total shipping would be, even though it would be spread out. I'd love to do as many as interested, but that could make this *quite* a long swap. We have 13 mamas interested. I'm so excited I had a good idea!

I'm still waiting to hear back from the mod about if this counts toward your 3 swaps total. I'm guessing it would, but I figured it was worth asking since it's a low cost, long swap.

MsChatsAlot 01-15-2007 02:49 PM

Sign me up too!

talktomenow 01-15-2007 03:54 PM

I'm interested.

teachermom 01-15-2007 06:25 PM

OK, I am in.

Ambrose 01-15-2007 09:58 PM

I personally think we should cap it. Someone can always start another one ya know?

beansricerevolt 01-15-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I personally think we should cap it. Someone can always start another one ya know?
I agree.

Haydee 01-15-2007 10:53 PM

Since we're talking about caping it and there are alot of mamas interested I'm going to go open a Journal Project Thread, with all the swap info and open it for sign ups. I have my postcards for the Postcard Swap, they're all filled out and everything, I just need addresses, which I should be getting in the next 24 hours. Hopefully I don't get yelled at for opening this swap a day before I'm ok to run it. :

I'll come back and post a link here as soon as I get that thread finished.

Haydee 01-15-2007 11:15 PM

Ok... here it is!!

https://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=596214

Does it look alright?

Ambrose 01-15-2007 11:19 PM

Yeah- I already signed up and sent my addy....