One last try for journal swap? (closed to new participants) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 100 Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stumbled upon the thread for the first failed attempt at a journal swap and then went looking for any more tries that might have worked. From reading the threads I seem to think that the problem might actually be just having too many mommas for the journals to go through.

I'm thinking it might work better with a limit of like 5 mommas or so that pass in a continuous circle every two weeks. Everyone will get their journal back sooner, there's less of a chance of it getting lost, the mommas who have each journal will be easier to track down and if there is a problem with someone sending the journals on we will know sooner and they can be dropped and the list adjusted.

I think with only 5 or so people it would be much more likely to achieve the results we want. I REALLY want to make this work, and I know there are other mommas who were really into the first swaps, but unfortunately missed out on what could have been an awesome opportunity.

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, here's a brief overview. We can decide specifics if there is interest. Each person gets a small journal or notebook (I'd say at least 100 pages) and writes a small bio in the front then passes it on to their designated person, who then adds their own bio and writes in the journal for a week or two (depending on what we decide) and mails it on to the next person, so for example the list would look like this

Participants:
Momma 1
Momma 2
Momma 3
Momma 4
Momma 5

1 sends her journal to 2 who sends to 3 who sends to 4 who sends to 5 who sends it back to 1.

1 ALWAYS mails to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, and 5 to 1 that way you only have to keep track of 1 address. You are responsible for paying postage to the next momma with delivery confirmation. If it is done correctly though we should be able to use one bubble envelope for each journal all the way through if we just change the mailing label.

Once we all get our original journal back we can then continue on if we want to...

The entries can be as detailed and as personal as you feel comfortable with. you can add photos, draw pictures, include awesome recipes or do whatever you feel like will add to this momma's awesome keepsake.

I'm really hoping for some interest, I'm sure there are at least 4 more mommas out there who would be really committed to this project. Come on ladies!

Momma to my pants pullin down, potty learnin, "Beeeeeg Boy" who now knows his, phonetically difficult for a toddler, name! Plus 2 dogs, 35 rats, & 5 or so bunnies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 100 Old 07-29-2008, 01:43 PM

I wish I wasn't such an undisciplined scatterbrain.

This would be so fun.

Mama to 10 so far:Mother of Joey (23), Dominick (15), Abigail (13), Angelo (10), Mylee (8), Delainey (6), Colton (4), ID girls Dahniella and Nicolette (2 in July), and Baby 10 coming sometime in July 2015.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!
#3 of 100 Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

yeah... I wish there was a little more interest... I know some ladies on here had a bad go of it before, but a group of friends and I who met at a writing conference kept this going for quite a while and it was really fun... and we were all going through trying to get into college... talk about a scatterbrained time! come on! there has to be someone interested! If theres just 5 or so of us I would even privide the notebooks if I had to!

Momma to my pants pullin down, potty learnin, "Beeeeeg Boy" who now knows his, phonetically difficult for a toddler, name! Plus 2 dogs, 35 rats, & 5 or so bunnies

#4 of 100 Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Fay

The 2008 Journal Journey didn't turn out well. So I'm not into the group aspect. But I am interested in exchanging a journal with a faithful writer mama. :

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#5 of 100 Old 07-30-2008, 06:14 PM

I think I'd be interested. I wasn't involved before, so I don't feel disappointed. I can see how a limited number could work really well - and allow a group of mamas to get to know each other pretty well! Not sure if what I have to say will be interesting, but I'd like to give it a try!!
#6 of 100 Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 PM

I would definitely be interested and willing to keep such an endeavor going...

Working
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Single Co-Parenting Mama to a
10 y/o.
#7 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

so for the ladies who have responded that they would be interested would you like to go ahead and give it a go with just us 3 or 4 I don't remember exactly how many people said they would be interested? or would you rather hold out for like 5 people or so... I just picked 5 as a random number...

#8 of 100 Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 PM

It doesn't really matter to me. Smaller would definitely make it easier to keep track of things.

Working
10 y/o.
#9 of 100 Old 08-10-2008, 11:09 PM

I would be interested if this is still open. I'm not sure how fancy the journal that I selected would be, but I think that the idea is wonderful. I'm in Canada, however, so I'm not sure if someone wants to be sending to Canada.

Please let me know.
#10 of 100 Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 AM

I'd like to do this.
#11 of 100 Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I don't really know much about the cost of mailing items there, so if you give me an idea of about how much it would be I could make a more educated decision... if it is just a little more I might be willing to eat the cost and just be the one who sends to you...

as for everyone else, we have at least 4 of us, maybe 5 (depending on canada) so I think we should begin to find our journals...and work on our bios... ahhhh mine shall be wonderfully interesting... and you poor suckers are now committed to hearing me ramble about the joys of divorce and movin my but into a studio apartment... yippee!

#12 of 100 Old 08-11-2008, 12:01 PM

This will be fun!
#13 of 100 Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 PM

My husband says that it would cost $2-$4 to send a journal to Canada.

Take care,
El
#14 of 100 Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM

Let me know if I should start a bio, the idea is really exciting!
#15 of 100 Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 PM

i would really be interested in doing this.
#16 of 100 Old 08-12-2008, 01:14 AM

I think it would be really handy if we could all find light journals that could be sent first class for less than media rate - cheaper, faster, etc... I just wish I could remember the weight for that...
#17 of 100 Old 08-12-2008, 01:18 AM

I would be interested.

We could use the Moleskine cashier kraft notebooks - they are very light.
#18 of 100 Old 08-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Just in looking quickly at the older threads, I think it would be great if we could have send dates. I.e. everyone send on the 1st and the 15th, for example. At least we could start out that way, and then see if it gives everyone enough time. What do you think??

I think those moleskine cahier notebooks would be great - it would make shipping really affordable (a few stamps instead of a few dollars...also would help with shipping to canada)!! I'll order mine now...
#19 of 100 Old 08-12-2008, 04:07 PM

I can order the moleskin too if people are interested in doing shipping to Canada (or even if one person is interested in doing shipping to Canada). It only ships to the US, but I could ship to my MIL and have her mail it to me. Let me know and I will buy one tonight when DH gets home.

Take care,
El
#20 of 100 Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM

I just ordered one too.
#21 of 100 Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm ordering mine tomorrow probably... I am excited... as soon as you get your journal you can begin your bio/ intro section... What do you all think about setting Sept 1st as our initial mailing date? and doing the 15th and the 1st every month after? that gives us all like 2 weeks to get a journal and start on it... I guess I can try to be the one to mail to Canada if you all want... or better yet, I'll mail it to my mommy and she can throw it over niagra falls to the other side and of course you will get it.... sorry that's all I know of canada lol... except that I want to move there!!!

But anyway everyone get your notebooks.... and send me a pm that you are officially in please so I can create the mailing order. Also if you pm me your address that will help as I will try to match you all up so that you are mailing to the closest person to you... the only person who will see your addy besides me is the person before you on the list... so message away ladies... lets get these pens a flyin!

#22 of 100 Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 AM

Sent you a PM.
#23 of 100 Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

"if we're going to be writing for two weeks then we'll want to allow shipping time to get from one person to another, so maybe we should make the shipping dates 3 weeks apart? 2-2.5ish weeks of journalling and then .5-1 week of shipping?"

This was just brought to my attention by a very observant lady who I hope doesn't mind me asking everyone's opinion on this...

If it was done this way, we would have to set shipping dates up differently... or we could keep the shipping on the 1st and 15th rule and simply write for the time we have the notebooks... we should be able to get at least a weeks worth of journaling in that way.. and I think it may be easier to keep track of a journal you are just writing in for a week... BUT the only way this would work, is if everyone agrees to pass it on on these 2 dates whether they had gotten around to writing what they felt was enough or not...

give me your input ladies! ( I'm leanin toward the 1st and 15th myself, but want to know where you stand)

#24 of 100 Old 08-13-2008, 12:41 AM

The definite benefit to it being the 1st and the 15th is that they are BIG dates that should be easier for people to remember... versus the 1st and the 22, ykwim? I think that if everyone is OK with writing for potentially only one week (but likely closer to 1.5 weeks), than I agree with the 1st and the 15th.

Do we continue trading until the journals are full, or does it do one rotation and then end?

Take care,
El
#25 of 100 Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 AM

I'm good with the 1st and the 15th. I am also fine mailing to Canada.

Sending PM!
#26 of 100 Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM

I'd prefer 1st/15th so I can remember!!

Also - if you don't mind everyone seeing your address - it might not be a bad idea to write it in the cover, just in case. Seems like last time, when everything fell apart, that would have been helpful.

I think we should do one rotation and then discuss who'd like to continue/drop/join.
#27 of 100 Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM

Bought my moleskin today I can't wait for it to arrive!

Take care,
El
#28 of 100 Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 PM

I was looking at the other journal swap threads today and while I am still REALLY interested in doing this and keeping it going, I think that the 1st and 15th are looking better than ever. It seems that a large part of the problem is people not knowing when to send their journals on to the next person (also having too large a group so it's hard to locate the journals, which funksoulmommy already mentioned). A regular date (that we REALLY all need to stick to) will hopefully be our saving grace.

Take care,
El
#29 of 100 Old 08-13-2008, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

my initial goal is to simply get them around and back to their original owners one time... at that point we can evaluate our system and see what needs to be changed... sorry it took me so long to respond... life here is full of drama.. great fodder for many interesting journal entries...

#30 of 100 Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 AM

The 1st and the 15th are fine with me.

Working
10 y/o.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page