continue w/ vacs? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 01-09-2004, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is getting ready to turn three, but she has had very limited vacs. In fact the only ones she has gotten are because of the doctor putting pressure on us, and my neglectful lack of knowledge. I absolutely refused to give her any until after she turned 1 and she has never gotten more than one at a time. The last few that she got gave her a fever and bad crankies. I am always afraid that the next one is the one that will do irreversible damage. I don't know if I would be making things worse if I just stopped in the middle. I could kick myself for not knowing more. I don't know the laws about vacs in my state, just hearsay. And I don't know which vacs do what. I have avoided the hep B because I was told by dd first doc that it is given to babies for two reasons 1. the younger the child, the better the effect of the shot and 2. the real worry for hep B is when the child is a teen, but it is harder to get a teen to go in for hep B than a baby that doesn’t have a choice.

I have avoided the books because I don’t have a long attention span and I hear that so much of the research is contradictory. Is there such a thing as an easy reading non biased book on vacs?
Also, if anyone has info they will share about the laws pertaining to vacs in NC, I am listening! Where do you find the answers to the legal questions? Is there a book?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-09-2004, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
don't be afraid of the books.
don't be afraid of the research.

but I understand Time restrictions.

my little suggestion would be to check out my cheat sheet.
and take your time. just read a bit at a time. on the cheat sheet are a list of books with links to amazon. you can read reviews of the book and you'll find the one or two that you might want to buy.

of course, the links to webs are also worthy you poking around on...

good luck.

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=57794
#3 of 7 Old 01-09-2004, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
"I don't know if I would be making things worse if I just stopped in the middle."

I felt I would be making things worse if I continued with the shots, since the 6 month round bout did my son in.

A few questions to ask your doc,

How is measles diagnosed/treated?

How is mumps diagnosed/treated?

How is pertussis diagnosed/treated?

How are adverse vaccine reactions diagnosed/treated?

What components of vaccines are responsible for adverse reactions?

What is the genetic basis for susceptibility to adverse health effects in people?

How can susceptible individuals be identified?

Do multivalent vaccines cause a higher rate of adverse reactions than monovalent vaccines?

Is administration of multiple doses of monovalent vaccines really any safer than administering a single multivalent vaccine?

Christine

"If it takes a lab to make it, it takes a lab to digest it". Kris Carr, Hungry For Change

#4 of 7 Old 01-11-2004, 06:22 PM

smarmie,

First of all...What state are you in?

Next...have you read through the archives?
#5 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Trabot- thanks for the link and taking all the time to put that stuff together! I will start to slowly sort and read.

Suschi- Thank you for the list of questions. Should a doctor be able to answer all of that correctly? I guess I don't have much trust in the medical system, but then again I don't know much about it.

gilnikche- I live in North Carolina. I have not read threw the archives, I will give it a try but I think I might do better with a book that can move around with me.
#6 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 02:43 AM

The archives can be overwhelming, but I read it bits at a time, and it sinks in after awhile. lol

Do what Sushi recommends, first learn about these diseases, then learn what to do to treat them, but like Trabot says in her cheat sheet, lok at the numbers in your area of these diseases! They are not what you'd think they are with all the hoopla about vax's!

It is overwhelming. Take it a little at a time. Trabot's cheat sheet is great. Take care.
#7 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 04:48 PM

putting in a plug for Trabot's cheat sheet and list of book recommendations --

I started questioning vax's when my dd was about 10 months old and I heard that the clinic recommends the chicken pox vax at 12 months. I thought, "chicken pox vaccine, what for?" That combined with the attempt that was made to get us to give dd a Hep B vax when she was 10 days old (but SIX weeks EARLY at birth) led me to this board.

I found three of the books on Trabot's list in my local library system (******'s, Stepanie Cave's, and Aviva Jill Romm's). They are all easy to read and I think they are a good place to start even before you do a lot of thread-reading here. The mdc members who have already done their research could easily make my head spin since I am new to this endeavor but the books give a nice history and state the facts clearly (not that mdc mamas are confusing, but the lingo used can make a novice's head swim with confusion).

Anyway, I liked Cave's book and Romm's books the best of the three I've read.

Good luck!

T to all the wise mdc mamas who frequent this board .... I will be asking for your advice soon as I make my way to the non-vax path but I need to finish Romm's book first.

Cheers,

Hope

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page