If someone could give me some assistance, I would appreciate it. I live in New York state. (my signature has my background info.)
Even though my 6 yr. old son is not required to receive the next "mandatory" vaccination until 7th grade (six years from now), I wanted to know if I should submit a request for a religious exemption NOW since I am pregnant and do not plan on vaccinating the new baby.
I ask because I want to make sure there is absolutely no resistance from the district when my unborn child begins kindergarten (and preshcool for that matter). I figured if I have an exemption in place now, there will be absolutely no resistance/denial when I request an exemption for my unborn child and when my DS begins middle school. I also have a strong feeling (as I'm sure most of you do) that more vaccines will be added to the "mandatory" list in the very near future.
From what I am reading at some of the boards, New York is one of the strictest with respect to granting religious exemptions. I'm fully prepared to legally fight if necessary and have no plans to meet with the district if their lawyers want to "talk" - they can speak to my attorney.
I wrote in my draft letter request (no affidavit necessary in NYS) that "any questions/concerns should be addressed to me in writing only." I don't want to give them any opportunity to attempt to "slip me up."
I am curious to see NOW what the district's lawyers are going to do - attempt to meet with me to "trip me up" or just grant my request. Bascially, I'd like to know now if there will be a problem so that if I do have to sue, I have plenty of time before my unborn child starts school. Bottom line: am I jumping the gun? Should I wait the few years to request an exemption?
Thank you for any suggestions you can give me.