supplements? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 01-11-2004, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello,
i'm a newbie around here and have been gathering a lot of information from everyone's posts. i have a 6 month old son who is not vaxed and we are not planning on vaxing in the near future, if at all.

as i read thru a lot of posts i see a lot of talk about supplements such as fish/cod liver oil, vit c and probiotics....i was hoping someone can give me the lo-down on these for someone who is hearing about them for the first time.:

are they appropiate for a 6 month old?
should i be taking them as well?
what dosages are recommended for each of us?
what brands are best?
how do you ensure that the fish oil is mercury free?

sorry for the list of questions! everyone here seems to have so much information and are so willing to help others out, so i thought i would ask. i want to do as much as i can to help my family grow as healthy as possible.

thanks

kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned

Wow new to the boards and your first post goes to vaccines! Excellent choice momma!

are they appropiate for a 6 month old? IMHO All a 6m old needs is lots of breastmilk and sunshine and any food that he is ready to explore.

should i be taking them as well? Most folk, especially nurising moms, can use some sort of supplement just because most folk have dietary deficiencies. How's your diet? Each person eats differently and each person's body uses nutrients differently so your supplements might be different than mine. Probiotics are good to add to your diet, yogurt, kefir , or powder form. And if you take them then baby gets some through your breastmilk. Starting baby on yogurts or adding probiotics to his diet wouldn't hurt.

what dosages are recommended for each of us? My dr suggested that I continue taking prenatal vites for as long as I'm nursing. Check with your dr about your diet, or sit down and take a good look at what you eat regularly and see if you can find any holes. For the babe, he really shouldn't *need* a supplement unless he's sick or proven to be lacking in something. There was a study going around that recommended vite D for bf babies, but to make a blanket statement and say that *all* bf babies need a supplement kinda undermines the power of Bm. kwim? As long as baby gets lots of sunshine during the warm months and some good rays on the face in the winter he should be good to go.

what brands are best? how do you ensure that the fish oil is mercury free? General consensus around here is Baby's JarroDophilus and Carlson's Cod Liver Oil no fish taste , no mercury(I've never bought CLO from this site, it's just the first that came up on a google) and for vite C (sodium ascorbate powder) I got mine from
Bronson Laboratories
#3 of 4 Old 01-12-2004, 12:07 PM

While we're asking supplement questions, anny suggestions for a liquid mineral supplement for mom and 19 month old baby?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown

#4 of 4 Old 01-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Banned

Have you tried http://www.traceminerals.com/products/drops.html

Quote:
As a Daily Supplement: 1/4-1/2 teaspoon, once or twice daily. Mix with any juice or food at mealtimes to mask the concentrated mineral flavor, or take straight, followed with a glass of juice or water. At 1/2 teaspoon daily, 8 oz.= 3 month supply. Increased dosages are safe if needed or desired, but larger amounts may have a laxative effect.
I got some of this at an expo and it really makes my filtered H2O yummy. But then I like the "texture" (that soft water "feel") that the sodium ascorbate powder gives my water too, so I could be a .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page