Does the law require vax ONLY for school entrance?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 26 Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still not 100% clear on this. I keep reading about the need for exemptions but is that only for school? If you homeschool, do I still need to have this on hand? If so, for what reason?

It looks as though in Ga they say you must be vaccinated for entrance into school. I can't find anything that says the law says you must be vaccinated period...school or no school. I hope this is making sense.

I have been to the ER 4 times with my ds. Each time, I have just told them we don't vaccinate and I have never had a problem. But just in case, I want to know my rights. Is the law for all children or just those attending school?

Thanks,
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 11-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It is just mandatory for school.....

some states require it for homeschooling as well, which is ridiculous if you ask me....makes no sense whatsoever. I'm not sure which staes those are however.

There is no other circumstance where vaxing is required by law. There are some employers however that require it for employment (hospitals, healthcare settings etc....) but that of course would be an adult issue.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 26 Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersweet View Post
I am still not 100% clear on this. I keep reading about the need for exemptions but is that only for school? If you homeschool, do I still need to have this on hand? If so, for what reason?

It looks as though in Ga they say you must be vaccinated for entrance into school. I can't find anything that says the law says you must be vaccinated period...school or no school. I hope this is making sense.

I have been to the ER 4 times with my ds. Each time, I have just told them we don't vaccinate and I have never had a problem. But just in case, I want to know my rights. Is the law for all children or just those attending school?

Thanks,
Sandy
So many people are unclear about this because 1) every state is different and 2) health experts and school officials themselves can't keep it straight and often spread misinformation.

When I had my 4 year old in the hospital, I was told by two nurses that it was illegal to not vaccinate. As if I would go to jail! Good thing I knew better. And it seems like nobody knows about exemptions at all.

But to get a more clear picture of the laws, visit the NVIC http://www.nvic.org/vaccine-laws.aspx

Loving mother, Devoted Wife

#4 of 26 Old 11-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Forcing you to vaccinate for no other reason then for admittance to school (And MOST states have several different exemptions for that) is against your human rights.

I ALMOST had an altercation with my (usually Lovely) pedi the other day about this. Apparently she assumed that I was completly ignorant to vaccination laws and thought I would just be able to enter my kids into school when kindergarden time came without them being vaxed. Its amazing to me that most doctors think the rest of us are complete ignoramouses.
#5 of 26 Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM

oops, replied to wrong thread.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#6 of 26 Old 11-25-2009, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Basically the vaxes are required for school admission but you can get an exemption so that your children can attend without the vaxes. I dont know the rules in GA but some states require vax records for home schoolers. In GA you have a religious exemption available but I don't know if you have a philosophical exemption. The medical exemption is usually for just specific vaxes and is pretty useless.

As to how to get an exemption varies by state. Some have it printed on the back of the vax form. Others you have to have a notorized letter or request a form from the health department.
#7 of 26 Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Day cares, sometimes classes or camps, can also require vaccination or a sworn religious exemption depending on the state. Things other than school might come up. That's why I drafted my letter recently even though our kids probably won't go to school until 6th grade.
#8 of 26 Old 11-27-2009, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
there is at least one state that requires them period. Not just for school.

hh2.gif

#9 of 26 Old 11-28-2009, 05:11 AM

The way my home state's law reads shots are required for school (homeschoolers are considered a private school so the law applies to them too) OR a letter of exemption on file. Now I don't know of any time that a homeschooler has had the school people knocking on their door asking to see their exemption letter but I suppose it could happen. That's the only circumstance I believe it would be needed. For dr's visits no way.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#10 of 26 Old 11-28-2009, 08:48 PM

I live in California, which supports religious, medical, and personal belief exemptions. I want to get a personal belief exemption, but I'm afraid it would be extremely complicated or difficult. For California, it is just for daycare and school entry. Particular vaccs are done for babies/toddlers and then more vaccs done for grade school age.

How prevalent are these diseases amongst children, really? I don't have alot of informationon the diseases themselves, but I already know I don't want my baby vaccinated. Vaccines disgust me, and I wish my mom chose to not vaccinate me when I was a little one.

Mom to cat.gif Izzie and angel.gif Grey.
#11 of 26 Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
there is at least one state that requires them period. Not just for school.
And what state is that?

I know one state (W. Va I think? West something! ) that a medical exemption is the only thing available and it's very difficult to get. NY is also ridiculously difficult to get any kind of exemption. I know of NO state that forces vaccines for anything.

Jenn
#12 of 26 Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalface View Post
I live in California, which supports religious, medical, and personal belief exemptions. I want to get a personal belief exemption, but I'm afraid it would be extremely complicated or difficult. For California, it is just for daycare and school entry. Particular vaccs are done for babies/toddlers and then more vaccs done for grade school age.

The exemptions for CA are check boxes on the reverse of the state-school vaccination form.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#13 of 26 Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
The exemptions for CA are check boxes on the reverse of the state-school vaccination form.
Oh! Because I was reading up on the law, which stated I had to put it in writing to the particular governing authority... Sounds HEAPS easier than I imagined.

Mom to cat.gif Izzie and angel.gif Grey.
#14 of 26 Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 AM

I don't remember, there was a post awhile back about it. I was surpirised. There are still exemptions available in that state, but the law is written that it is required for all children, not for school.

hh2.gif

#15 of 26 Old 11-29-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
I know one state (W. Va I think? West something! ) that a medical exemption is the only thing available and it's very difficult to get. NY is also ridiculously difficult to get any kind of exemption. I know of NO state that forces vaccines for anything.

Jenn
West Virginia and Mississippi have only medical exemptions, which boggles my mind. How is this not religious discrimination?. I heard about one family last year in WV who was fighting to get their kids admitted to school despite having no vaxes for religious reasons. I never did hear what happened with that. Does anybody know whether they won or not?

I live in Ohio and DS will be doing online schooling. Since it's legally considered a public school, vaxes are required. However, it says right in the paperwork that you can submit an exemption. I thought it was pretty cool that they let you know about exemptions up front. That seems to be a growing thing. Two colleges I've gone to in this state have also been very upfront about being able to refuse. They include the vax refusal forms right in the orientation packet.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#16 of 26 Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! It looks as though in Ga it is only for school entrance but I wondered if somewhere it states otherwise.

Thanks,
Sandy
#17 of 26 Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM

ladies,

you guys have this backwards. it is part of the public health law in most states that every child must be vaccinated irregardless of school. Only, the public health laws are usually silent on the issue of enforcement - they leave that to the schools and address that in the Education section.

the vaccine websites that help with exemptions usually only have the education portion of the state laws -so you are only getting one piece. Go to the public health statutes, codes, or laws for any state and you'll get a better idea of how early you might need an exemption. Some state laws indicate hospitals as 'enforcement' sites, but usually specify infants.
#18 of 26 Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
it is part of the public health law in most states that every child must be vaccinated irregardless of school.
Can you cite this?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#19 of 26 Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 PM

it was tx in a wic post on this forum.

hh2.gif

#20 of 26 Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM

#21 of 26 Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2106 Post(s)
Oooo! Thanks for that link, Mysticmama!

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
#teamvaxchoice

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#22 of 26 Old 12-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalface View Post
Oh! Because I was reading up on the law, which stated I had to put it in writing to the particular governing authority... Sounds HEAPS easier than I imagined.
In CA when you submit your affidavit to form a private school (i.e homeschool) you are required to comply with state mandates requiring an attendence log and also vaccination record. Now that dosent mean you need to have the actual vaccination on the reverse of said vacc. card (blue I believe still) is the exemption to sign.
#23 of 26 Old 12-03-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Can you cite this?

Here are a few examples - all these states leave it to the schools to enforce, but the law is on the books for all regardless:

Virginia: § 32.1-46. Immunization of patients against certain diseases

Quote:
The parent, guardian or person standing in loco parentis of each child within this Commonwealth shall cause such child to be immunized in accordance with the Immunization Schedule developed and published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP).

New York: Public Health Law Title VI

Quote:
Every person in parental relation to a child in this state shall
have administered to such child an adequate dose or doses of
an immunizing agent against poliomyelitis, mumps, measles,
diphtheria, rubella, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib),
hepatitis B and varicella which meets the standards approved
by the United States public health service for such biological
products, and which is approved by the state department of
health under such conditions as may be specified by the public
health council.
Texas: Public Health Statute
Quote:
Sec. 161.004. STATEWIDE IMMUNIZATION OF CHILDREN. (a) Every child in the state shall be immunized against vaccine preventable diseases caused by infectious agents in accordance with the immunization schedule adopted by the board.
BTW - I did do a cursory search through GA law as well, but couldn't find anything other than school requirements.
#24 of 26 Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 PM

And if states really, truly wanted to enforce those laws, they'd be at your doorstep to do it. Until then (in which case I'd be leaving the country immediately) parents should only worry about school vax and exemptions for that. I can see *maybe* someone wanting vax info for a group activity before school age....maybe. I don't know of anyone it's ever happened to that's not been military, though.

Jenn
#25 of 26 Old 12-04-2009, 01:53 PM

nak...

if you read those full codes, they all go on to speak of med/relg exemptions.

hh2.gif

#26 of 26 Old 12-05-2009, 12:37 AM

Yes, but I think the argument presented earlier in this thread was "those are onjly for school" which isn't the case. They're mostly used for school, yes, but if an exemption is available in a state, it can be used anytime vaccines are "required" for something.

Jenn

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page