does my 15 mo ds need to avoid a recently vaxed child (chickenpoX?) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 09-04-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 15 month old son is not vaccinated (for anything). my nephew was vax'd for chickenpox on thursday, and has a few red marks that look like chickenpox, but which could also be bug bites. they don't seem to be bothering him. his mom, my sister, had a bad case of chickpox as a child (as did i), so technically she should be immune, i assume? but over the past few days she has developed a LOT of red, itchy welts that look very much like chickenpox, and are itching her like crazy.

we are supposed to be spending the weekend together at our parent's cottage. we are wondering if we should skip this- i think it is possible for my ds to contract chickepox as well, if this is what the red welts/bumps are?

i am not well-read on this vax yet as i figured i had a bit of time on this one to decided if we would get the vax at a later date, or take him to a chicken pox party, or what.

any thoughts? thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-04-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

i should add that my sister was going to go to the walk-in clinic to have the welts assessed, but everything is shut down here because we just got blasted by hurricane earl, and power will be out for the next day or two at least... no sense in going to ER for something not serious in these conditions.
#3 of 4 Old 09-04-2010, 05:34 PM

It sounds like it's some sort of chicken pox reaction to me. If you are not sure if you'd want him to get it, I'd probably stay home. Unless she can definitely say the marks are from bug bits.

Mama to three

#4 of 4 Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ordinarily I would say don't bother avoiding him, but seeing as he & your sister both now have it (or SOMETHING, maybe not chicken pox but could still be contagious!) I would avoid them if you don't want your DS to come down with whatever it is. I don't personally feel that CP is something to avoid in the average person, but I would prefer my under-2-year-old child not get an illness like that if it could be avoided.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page