Corrupt system not just around vaccines - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

779Likes

#241 of 430 Old 09-05-2017, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
I wonder what is going on with all this back and forth over hormone replacement therapy and breast cancer? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...r-study-shows/

Quote:
“Our research shows that some previous studies are likely to have underestimated the risk of breast cancer with combined oestrogen-progestogen HRT,” said study leader Professor Anthony Swerdlow, of The Institute of Cancer Research.
“We found that current use of combined HRT increases the risk of breast cancer by up to threefold, depending on how long HRT has been used.
I've got a suspicious mind, and I wonder about those studies that found a lower risk. There is a lot of money at stake, given the millions and millions of women entering menopause each year.
applejuice and Bow like this.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 430 Old 09-19-2017, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

A real op-ed or a PR plant? Or both? https://www.healthnewsreview.org/201...ite-the-piece/

Quote:
“[Crowder] called and asked me if I’d write something for the Boston paper,” Dushane said, referring to STAT.
Dushane’s essay reacts to a preceding STAT story that focuses on a $100 million advertising “blitz” by drug companies to stir up demand for their hepatitis C drugs. Those drugs have drawn fire for costing up to $90,000 per patient.
I asked Dushane if she had seen the preceding STAT story that she refers to and if that’s what motivated her to write. She said she hadn’t seen the STAT piece until Crowder brought it to her attention.
“She called me and talked to me about it. She asked me if I’d be willing to write something about my positive experience [with drug ads].”

prevent it
#243 of 430 Old 09-20-2017, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000004

Quote:
As the IARC meeting loomed, the internal documents show that Monsanto did not wait for the actual IARC decision before acting. It enlisted teams of PR and lobbying experts, scientists and others in a plan aimed at creating what was designed to appear as a storm of “outcry” and “outrage” to follow the IARC classification. IARC had a history of “questionable and politically charged rulings,” the Monsanto memo said.

The plan was to create enough controversy to thoroughly discredit IARC’s evaluation because Monsanto officials knew that regulators would be influenced by IARC, and continued widespread use of the top-selling chemical could be at risk.

“It is possible that IARC’s decision will impact future regulatory decision making,” Monsanto stated in its internal correspondence.
Important to stay on top of things to protect profits. Who cares about how much damage is done in the meantime?

Great analysis of how public opinion is manipulated to defend industry. Read the whole thing if time allows.

prevent it

#244 of 430 Old 09-24-2017, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

I keep wondering if I'll run out of scandals!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...?source=Snapzu

Quote:
Fertility rates decreased by 12% among Flint women, and fetal death rates increased by 58%, after April 2014, according to research by assistant professors and health economists David Slusky at Kansas University and Daniel Grossman at West Virginia University. The pair examined vital statistics data for Flint and the rest of the state of Michigan from 2008 to 2015, zoomed down to the census-tract level.
Lead is a normal part of the earth's crust...
applejuice, Bow and samaxtics like this.

prevent it
#245 of 430 Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Good article except for the assumption that pharma regulations work to protect people and the environment! https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ment-scientist
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#246 of 430 Old 09-27-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
This is an excellent related article: "The pressure of Big Pharma: Financial conflicts of interest common on medical guidelines panels".
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...beandmail.com&

There are also some great comments such as:
Quote:
I have been a family physician for 45 years and during that time have seen the number of pharmaceuticals used by Canadians sky rocket. This increase has largely occurred as a result of treatment guidelines developed by 'experts' in the various specialties...
applejuice, Deborah, Bow and 1 others like this.
#247 of 430 Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

The high price paid by those who challenge drug companies. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB978479119332376537

Quote:
Dr. Cantekin might have been nothing more than a brief sideshow in the annals of medical research, except that he is self-righteously persistent, and more important, his cause is at the center of a $3 billion-a-year industry: antibiotics for children's ear infections. Dr. Cantekin believes that in 1986, a fellow researcher at Pittsburgh, Charles Bluestone, manipulated the results of a study on children's antibiotics to benefit drug companies whose grants and honoraria he had accepted.
"It was a fraudulent study," says Dr. Cantekin, who was Dr. Bluestone's co-investigator on the project. "This isn't a question of scientific interpretation. They made certain changes to make the drugs look better." Partly as a result of this compromised research, he argues, millions of children have been taking antibiotics unnecessarily, spawning a population of antibiotic-resistant "superbugs" that threaten everyone.

prevent it
#248 of 430 Old 09-28-2017, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Monsanto is actually running into problems in Europe. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...P=share_btn_tw

Quote:
A Monsanto letter to MEPs seen by the Guardian said that the European parliament was not “an appropriate forum” for discussion on the issues involved.
“The joint hearing could be viewed as the latest attempt by those opposed to modern agricultural practices to influence and frustrate the EU scientific and regulatory process to suit their own agenda,” it says.

“We have observed with increasing alarm the politicisation of the EU procedure on the renewal of glyphosate,” wrote Monsanto’s vice president Philip ******, “a procedure which should be scientific but which in many respects has been hijacked by populism.”
Martin Pigeon, a spokesman for the NGO Corporate Europe Observatory, said it was “extremely important that parliament has been prepared to meet Monsanto’s unbelievable arrogance with real retaliation and consequences.”
Modern equals above criticism?
applejuice and samaxtics like this.

prevent it
#249 of 430 Old 09-28-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Yes, the EU does not like Monsanto and genetic altering of its agriculture. I worked in a Greek school, and they told me that they cannot get certain products in Greece when they visit because of the general dislike of this industry.
Deborah, mama24-7 and samaxtics like this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, OMS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#250 of 430 Old 09-28-2017, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Yes, the EU does not like Monsanto and genetic altering of its agriculture. I worked in a Greek school, and they told me that they cannot get certain products in Greece when they visit because of the general dislike of this industry.
Monsanto has been working very hard to flatten opposition in Europe, but it sounds like it isn't turning out all that well. Good.
applejuice, mama24-7 and samaxtics like this.

prevent it
#251 of 430 Old 10-06-2017, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.ageofautism.com/2017/10/t...n-birrell.html

John Stone points to other outrageous actions by the UK government.
Quote:
This weekend I was dismayed to see a journalist – in this case Birrell - once again smear Andrew Wakefield. Birrell is capable of doing research but instead he just repeats the old whispers. I noticed that back in May he had written an excellent piece on the contaminated blood scandal with which the United Kingdom Department of Health in the early 1980s wiped out a generation of haemophiliacs, and went on to try and pull the wool for more than three decades. Quite rightly he is outraged, but what he does not seem to understand is the flawed culture that leads to such things. Another example was the Camelford water disaster, in which at exactly moment that DH was arranging to import a known to be faulty version of the MMR vaccine, they began a twenty-five year cover up of the poisoning of residents by aluminium sulphate in a Cornish village – they may not in this instance have got the media to believe them, but from the legal point of view it was perfectly executed exercise in time wasting.
Many of these cover-ups and "conspiracies" really are all about time-wasting. Perhaps by the time the real evil done is uncovered, the people who committed the crime or the cover-up will be long gone, or at least retired to a pleasant location.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#252 of 430 Old 10-15-2017, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
http://www.ageofautism.com/2017/10/t...n-birrell.html

John Stone points to other outrageous actions by the UK government.

Many of these cover-ups and "conspiracies" really are all about time-wasting. Perhaps by the time the real evil done is uncovered, the people who committed the crime or the cover-up will be long gone, or at least retired to a pleasant location.
This is a perfect example of the time-wasting strategy. Bet someone piled up a lot of profits over the many years that this scientist's work was ignored and denigrated. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.ab4111f22d8b

Quote:
At the time, most doctors believed that saturated fat from animal products such as meats, butter and cheese were the principal culprits in producing harmful amounts of cholesterol, which could lead to heart disease.
Dr. Kummerow questioned that assumption as early as 1957, when he published his first paper about the dangers of trans fats, also known as trans-fatty acids. Most trans fats are created through an industrial process in which hydrogen is added to vegetable oils, making them solid at room temperature.
How long did it take?
Quote:
In 2013, Dr. Kummerow — then 98 — sued the FDA, asking that it rule on his petition. After a “tentative determination” that trans fats were not safe for human consumption, the FDA formally declared in 2015 that artificial trans fats should be eliminated from the U.S. food supply by 2018.
I'll save our vaccine supporters time: It is all good because science triumphed in the end. And all those unfortunates who died an early death due to clogged arteries from trans fats? So sad. Too bad.

prevent it
#253 of 430 Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

How government and industry worked together to create and maintain an epidemic of addiction. https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-w...inkId=43530812

Quote:
Whistleblower Joe Rannazzisi says drug distributors pumped opioids into U.S. communities -- knowing that people were dying -- and says industry lobbyists and Congress derailed the DEA's efforts to stop it. Bill Whitaker reports.
Very grim story. Measles doesn't kill very many people in the US. Out of control opioid distribution is killing many thousand every year and destroying the health and sanity of many more.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it

Last edited by Deborah; 10-16-2017 at 06:46 PM.
#254 of 430 Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear_Rosemary
Apparently Dr. Holmes doesn't know about my friend who would soon die of diabetes, my sister-in-law whose cancer was cured by chemotherapy, my daughter who is able to have relationships and go to school because of anti-anxiety medication...etc etc etc.
My grandfather died of complications of diabetes after years of using modern medicine's wonders; he was blind and the doctors were discussing amputating his legs before he died. Modern medicine knows that the use of insulin and medformin and other drugs for diabetes often delay the inevitable complications of the disease.

My grandmother died of cancer - she had surgery and radiation and refused chemotherapy for her particular case of cancer. She died. Four years after she died, the use of the chemo therapy regiment for her cancer that she refused was discontinued because it was found to be worthless.

Almost all anti-anxiety medications have black box warnings on them regarding suicide and death idealification.

Is this progress? No. It is a culture of illness, death and profit.
Mirzam, samaxtics and sarahsimmons like this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, OMS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#255 of 430 Old 10-17-2017, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Water fluoridation sits on a shrinking island of support. https://www.timesargus.com/articles/...-fluoridation/

Quote:
What is especially notable is that you have an arm of the U.S. government putting forth a study that challenges a central public health policy of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. That policy is community water fluoridation.
While the NIEHS publication did not endorse the study, it saw fit to publish it. That’s significant inasmuch as promoters of fluoridation, like the American Dental Association, dismiss challenges to fluoridation as affronts to settled science.
But of course vaccines are still unquestionable...
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#256 of 430 Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, how could this happen? https://www.healthnewsreview.org/201...icts-interest/

• The USA TODAY Network, an online amalgam of content from Gannett publications nationwide, ran a column entitled
    Quote:
    “Insurance companies block heart disease treatments,” by Craig Davis, who’s identified as a “an Orlando resident” and “volunteer patient advocate for the Global Healthy Living Foundation.” The column cites data from the Institute for Patient Access, a sister organization of the AfPA, showing that “thousands” may have been denied access to an expensive cardiac drug, a PCSK9 inhibitor, and urges readers to sign an online petition to “ask the National Association of Insurance Commissioners to help address the alarming rejection rates that qualifying patients across the country face in accessing new, groundbreaking, cholesterol-lowering medications.” The piece didn’t mention that both the institute and the foundation are funded by companies that have invested in that drug. After HealthNewsReview.org inquired, its tagline was expanded to identify Davis as “a volunteer patient advocate for the Global Healthy Living Foundation, a national non-profit organization, which advocates for improved quality of life for people with chronic disease. GHLF is supported by various pharmaceutical and biomedical companies and university and college institutions.”
Nifty!

prevent it
#257 of 430 Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/b...rosenthal.html

I'm currently reading this book. Highly recommended. Horrifying. Our medical system might as well be run by the mafia.

Quote:
Rosenthal’s book doesn’t conclude with conglomerates. She also provides an eye-opening discussion of skyrocketing drug prices, as well as the less-familiar pathologies of excessive medical testing and overpriced medical devices, such as artificial hips and knees — a market dominated by a few manufacturers that, like big drug companies, shun direct competition in favor of building cozy relationships with the people who prescribe their products. In each case, Rosenthal diagnoses the incentives of the system by recalling the professional advice of Willie Sutton, who said he robbed banks because “that’s where the money is.” What outsiders might see as inefficiency or a conflict of interest, she shows, insiders have carefully constructed to maximize their bottom line. She also weaves in moving tales of those who are paying dearly for that enhanced bottom line — which, in the end, includes all of us.
I had wondered why hospitals try to force flu vaccines on their employees for a very small increase in reimbursements. True, the money adds up, but losing experienced staff members also costs money, and the evidence base for the vaccine saving lives in a hospital setting is slender. Although Rosenthal doesn't address that particular question, she does make it clear that hospitals, including supposed non-profit hospitals, are totally focused on sucking in the maximum amount of money. Pulling in the money ranks way above taking good care of patients or staff. Very sad and extremely scary.
applejuice, Bow and sarahsimmons like this.

prevent it
#258 of 430 Old 10-25-2017, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.gmwatch.org/en/news/latest-news/16087

Quote:
"In our country glyphosate is applied on more than 28 million hectares. Each year, the soil is sprayed with more than 320 million litres, which means that 13 million people are at risk of being affected, according to the Physicians Network of Sprayed Peoples (RMPF). Soy is not the only crop addicted to glyphosate: the herbicide is also used for transgenic maize and other crops. Where glyphosate falls, only GMOs can grow. Everything else dies."
"Our trade union, the Federation of Health Professionals of Argentina (FESPROSA), which represents more than 30,000 doctors and health professionals in our country, includes the Social Health Collective of Andrés Carrasco. Andrés Carrasco was a researcher at [Argentine government research institute] CONICET, who died a year ago, and showed the damage caused by glyphosate to embryos. For disseminating his research, he was attacked by the industry and the authorities at CONICET. Today, WHO vindicates him.”
"Glyphosate does not only cause cancer. It is also associated with increased spontaneous abortions, birth defects, skin diseases, and respiratory and neurological disease.”
Is there a problem with the consensus that glyphosate is safe?

prevent it
#259 of 430 Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...udy/794291001/

Quote:
In 2016, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration proposed a limit of 100 parts per billion of arsenic in infant rice cereal, but isn't enforcing that limit. Rice often absorbs arsenic from contaminated soil as it grows in the environment.
"It is important for consumers to understand that some contaminants, such as heavy metals like lead or arsenic, are in the environment and cannot simply be removed from food," Peter Cassell, a FDA spokesperson.
Lovely...

prevent it
#260 of 430 Old 10-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2107 Post(s)
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...pproved-anyway

Quote:
In a trial on more than 300 children with peanut allergies, about 35 percent of patients responded to Viaskin, but the overall results didn’t beat placebo by enough to meet the study’s primary goal.

Despite that failure, DBV Technologies, the firm that developed Viaskin, is planning to move forward with plans to file for FDA approval.
I'm not sure why they're pushing so hard for this. Vaccines don't make a lot of money, after all . . . .
grisandole, applejuice and Deborah like this.

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
#teamvaxchoice

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#261 of 430 Old 10-28-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...pproved-anyway

I'm not sure why they're pushing so hard for this. Vaccines don't make a lot of money, after all . . . .
Well, there has been this utterly and completely coincidental increase in peanut allergies...
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#262 of 430 Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

And how many years has it been since someone figured out that this stuff was dangerous? https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...on-agency.html

Quote:
And now the Trump administration is embracing it, overturning a planned ban that had been in the works for many years.
So, it was okay when it wasn't Trump? Or at least not as terrible?
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#263 of 430 Old 12-26-2017, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

https://cosmosmagazine.com/chemistry...mass-poisoning

Just an accidental screw-up...

Quote:
The report underlines a recent finding by The Lancet Commission on Pollution and Health which concluded nine million deaths (or 16% of the total) every year worldwide are due to diseases caused by the human chemical environment – 15 times the number killed in wars.
Impressive achievement.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#264 of 430 Old 01-06-2018, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

speaking of mass poisoning https://www.chelseagreen.com/a-precautionary-tale

Quote:
A Precautionary Tale

How One Small Town Banned Pesticides, Preserved Its Food Heritage, and Inspired a Movement

By Philip Ackerman-Leist
Foreword by Vandana Shiva

Quote:
Mals, Italy, has long been known as the breadbasket of the Tyrol. But recently the tiny town became known for something else entirely. A Precautionary Tale tells us why, introducing readers to an unlikely group of activists and a forward-thinking mayor who came together to ban pesticides in Mals by a referendum vote—making it the first place on Earth to accomplish such a feat, and a model for other towns and regions to follow.

For hundreds of years, the people of Mals had cherished their traditional foodways and kept their local agriculture organic. Their town had become a mecca for tourists drawn by the alpine landscape, the rural and historic character of the villages, and the fine breads, wines, cheeses, herbs, vegetables, and the other traditional foods they produced. Yet Mals is located high up in the eastern Alps, and the valley below was being steadily overtaken by big apple producers, heavily dependent on pesticides. As Big Apple crept further and further up the region’s mountainsides, their toxic spray drifted with the valley’s ever-present winds and began to fall on the farms and fields of Mals—threatening their organic certifications, as well as their health and that of their livestock.

The advancing threats gradually motivated a diverse cast of characters to take action—each in their own unique way, and then in concert in an iconic display of direct democracy in action. As Ackerman-Leist recounts their uprising, we meet an organic dairy farmer who decides to speak up when his hay is poisoned by drift; a pediatrician who engaged other medical professionals to protect the soil, water, and air that the health of her patients depends upon; a hairdresser whose salon conversations mobilized the town’s women in an extraordinarily conceived campaign; and others who together orchestrated one of the rare revolutionary successes of our time and inspired a movement now snaking its way through Europe and the United States.
On page 167 there is a discussion of a quite rational proposal to test school grounds in the area for pesticide residues, followed by a report of the results and actions to protect the public. It was defeated of course. After all, in a windy area with a huge acreage in apple orchards which are sprayed about 30 times a year with various pesticides, there can't possibly be a reasonable concern about children being exposed...
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#265 of 430 Old 01-07-2018, 06:41 PM

Outstanding posts!

Here is a book that exposes the medical device industry. Know anyone who has had a stent? A pacemaker? A VNS? How are they doing? This book is written by a former MD. She became a researcher and now a reporter.

Deborah likes this.

#266 of 430 Old 01-07-2018, 06:52 PM

In Re: treating mental illness with drugs. Does the depressed person have a xanax deficiency?

Dr Mark Vonnegut, MD had a struggle with a bipolar disorder. Other links say he was schizophrenic. In his book, Eden Express, he gave the credit for his recovery to the orthomolecular treatment he used. In that book he says on page 267,

Quote:
However, it should be pointed out that in this book, he states that "approximately a third - improve without any treatment.
Later he says -

Quote:
Whatever shrink happens to be standing around when such remissions occur is usually willing to assume credit. ... From the book, one can see that he was trying to decide if it is the therapy or the ever changing medications that are the most effective for treatment. Vonnegut does not presently attribute his recovery to vitamins. In reality, such situations take years of trial and error treatment to figure out what actually is effective treatment since the diagnostic tools are based on statistics.
Vonnegut went on to graduate from Harvard after 19 unsuccessful applications. He decided from his study there that he was bipolar, not schizophrenic. So he is self-diagnosed? Is that even allowed?

Let me add that Vonnegut does NOT prescribe any antidepressant meds to children nor for ADHD probably because he recalls how powerful these drugs are. Vonnegut is in favor of parental choice.

My point is that doctors will stand around and be ready to take credit for the good outcome no matter how it was arrived at, but will blame the patient for the bad outcome.
Deborah likes this.

Last edited by applejuice; 01-07-2018 at 08:28 PM.
#267 of 430 Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

This article is actually about vaccines, but there is one section that goes perfectly in this thread. http://orthomolecular.activehosted.c...4b1d77e88d7.83

Buying the "new and improved" version could be fatal.

Quote:
Avoid over-the-counter products

In an attempt to avoid the expense and hassle of going to the doctor, don't make the mistake of self-medicating with over-the-counter (OTC) drugs. Whereas in years past some OTC products were designed to provide relief for a single symptom, now drugs are thrown together in order to treat, in one fell swoop, a multitude of "cold" symptoms. For example, in the mix there typically are included drugs to induce sleep, relieve pain, suppress coughing, loosen a tight cough, open up a "stuffy" nose and lower fever, all in one product under one label----often with the same brand name as the original single-use drug. If there is an adverse effect from one of these products, it is difficult to determine "who done it". I have known instances in which people have unknowingly gotten hooked on the cough suppressor in a mixed preparation, Robitussin DM, that also contained a pain killer similar in action to acetaminophen, but toxic to the kidneys, so that with continued use it caused severe kidney damage. This toxic ingredient was replaced with a less toxic product, but the name of the product remains the same. A trick the industry uses to accelerate sales is to keep the old brand name but add, for example, PM after it, meaning a sleep aid has been added. Beware of product labeling that states only what the product is for, rather than the ingredients, e.g.: "for colds with cough and fever".
Since the dose tolerance between safe and toxic levels is narrow for acetaminophen (pain reliever and fever reducer--sold as Tylenol in this country), putting it unobtrusively in a variety of mixed OTC preparations is dangerous. The British equivalent of acetaminophen, Paracetamol, has been their leading cause of severe liver damage -- and that can lead to the necessity of a liver transplant. The warning is posted on the Tylenol package, but the public has no idea that Tylenol is hidden away in these "do-it-all" preparations. I have looked for safe pediatric over-the-counter products and have found very few. A warning of "not to be used for children under two" could make one think that it might not be healthy for adults either.

prevent it
#268 of 430 Old 01-13-2018, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
From Deborah's quote above:
Quote:
In an attempt to avoid the expense and hassle of going to the doctor, don't make the mistake of self-medicating with over-the-counter (OTC) drugs.
Sure, but do the doctors know any better when they prescribe OTCs to patients? When we had to take our child to the ER (because issues always seem to happen in the middle of the night) when he was an infant and inevitably suffered high fevers and otitis media 2 weeks post vaccination (a pattern we didn't see until years later) the ER docs always gave both Tylenol and Motrin together. I can't find it now, but I had read a medical article where it stated that this practice had never been studied in a clinical trial.
applejuice, Deborah and Bow like this.
#269 of 430 Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Bow

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

Sure, but do the doctors know any better when they prescribe OTCs to patients? When we had to take our child to the ER (because issues always seem to happen in the middle of the night) when he was an infant and inevitably suffered high fevers and otitis media 2 weeks post vaccination (a pattern we didn't see until years later) the ER docs always gave both Tylenol and Motrin together. I can't find it now, but I had read a medical article where it stated that this practice had never been studied in a clinical trial.
Had the same experience with frequent recommendations for alternating the doses and reading the same thing i.e. no safety studies.

I see something from the US, warning of that situation in 2000 here;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10790455
Alternating antipyretics: is this an alternative?

Quote:
Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are commonly being used in an alternating manner for management of fever. There is presently no scientific evidence that this combination is safe or achieves faster antipyresis than either agent alone. There is evidence that the improper use of these agents may cause harm. Despite 29% of participants citing American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations as the basis for fever management, no such policy or recommendations exist. The observation that this practice is more common in younger practitioners may reflect their continued anxiety about fever (fever phobia). Until properly controlled studies have assessed the risk of combining these 2 products, practitioners should proceed with caution.
There have been some studies since.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art.../#b10-pch12127

We had one nurse recommending tylenol pm at bedtime for inability to sleep issues for a 10 year old child

On a semi related note
http://time.com/5096715/acetaminophe...nguage-delays/
New Study Links Pregnant Women Taking Acetaminophen with Language Delays in Baby Girls

I haven't read the whole thing yet.
applejuice, Deborah and samaxtics like this.
#270 of 430 Old 01-13-2018, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaxtics View Post

Stuff like that could make you distrust doctors...
applejuice, Bow and samaxtics like this.

prevent it

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page