Memes, Yay or Nay - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Shall the Vaccinations Forum include memes?
Yay 8 88.89%
Nay 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

993Likes

#1 of 719 Old 10-26-2018, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
Memes, Yay or Nay

There was a request to the moderators that this forum once again include member posted memes. Our kindly guide and manager pointed out that copyright would be an issue and that anyone who posted a meme would need to be able to show that there was no problem with copyright.

Are there other issues? Discuss. I'll keep this thread near the top for a couple of weeks so y'all have a chance to vote and comment.
applejuice likes this.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 719 Old 10-26-2018, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
I had a lot of fun with the last thread that featured memes - 1000s of them!

I do not understand the copyright thing - we are not profiting from posting and I never said any of them were mine, so what is the problem?

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, OMS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#3 of 719 Old 10-27-2018, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I had a lot of fun with the last thread that featured memes - 1000s of them!

I do not understand the copyright thing - we are not profiting from posting and I never said any of them were mine, so what is the problem?
i also don't get the copyright thing..thousands of memes posted all over FB/other internet social sites without credit to the mememaker -- isn't that a violation too? Or, people pull stock photos from google and add their own words -- no copyright infringement happening in that type of situation, if the pic used doesn't have a watermark or other identifying symbol.

What about those of us who draw and make our own memes?
applejuice likes this.

#4 of 719 Old 10-27-2018, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2107 Post(s)
It is only illegal to share a meme with a copyright symbol on it. https://thelawtog.com/memes-violate-copyright-law/

I have never, ever seen such a meme.

A reasonable policy would be to allow use of memes and infographics that A) don't have a copyright symbol and B) don't violate MDC's UA, (e.g. insults and name-calling).

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
#teamvaxchoice

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#5 of 719 Old 10-27-2018, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
It is only illegal to share a meme with a copyright symbol on it. https://thelawtog.com/memes-violate-copyright-law/

A reasonable policy would be to allow use of memes and infographics that A) don't have a copyright symbol and B) don't violate MDC's UA, (e.g. insults and name-calling).
I'm wondering if our kindly hosts may have liability for what they permit. The forums include advertising and if a meme attracts an additional 1,000 people, that probably means a little more income.

Copyright stuff is immensely confusing.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#6 of 719 Old 10-29-2018, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this up in the hope that a few more people will see it and respond.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#7 of 719 Old 10-29-2018, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about posting this you like to watch such as videos could we do that or would it fall under this copyright thing?
#8 of 719 Old 10-29-2018, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoflove4 View Post
What about posting this you like to watch such as videos could we do that or would it fall under this copyright thing?
Interesting question.

Here are the rules: https://www.mothering.com/forum/1788...rum-rules.html

Quote:
10. You may only post material and content that you own. Posting copyrighted material, trademarks, and other violations of the DMCA is prohibited.

Usually, when someone posts a video, they are posting a link to another site that hosts that video. So you aren't actually putting the content on this page, only a link to that content.

When we post a meme, we are actually pasting in an image with pictures and words.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#9 of 719 Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
This is a great related video:
applejuice likes this.
#10 of 719 Old 10-30-2018, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
I have no issue with memes as long as they do not break the UA.
applejuice and samaxtics like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 2 teens and one young adult.
#11 of 719 Old 10-31-2018, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Only six votes so far.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#12 of 719 Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
You have to admit, this meme is cute: https://www.minds.com/media/904902679467696128
applejuice and Deborah like this.
#13 of 719 Old 11-05-2018, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't see in that link anything about copyright symbols--what am I missing? It seems like legality is determined based on a four-factor fair use analysis.

I don't have an issue with memes personally, but I would understand it if mothering.com's lawyers didn't think it was worth the risk.
#14 of 719 Old 11-05-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica765 View Post
I don't have an issue with memes personally, but I would understand it if mothering.com's lawyers didn't think it was worth the risk.

MDC has lawyers???
applejuice likes this.

#teamvaxchoice

#15 of 719 Old 11-06-2018, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Quote:
MDC has lawyers???
I have no specific knowledge about whether they do, but I would assume that MDC (or, more likely, whatever company owns MDC) either has lawyers on staff or has outside counsel, who would be consulted on questions like this.

For example, I assume the language here was written by, or in consultation with, MDC's attorneys:

https://www.mothering.com/articles/terms-of-use/

ETA that I read a bit further in that link and see that VerticalScope, which owns MDC, has a legal department that handles MDC copyright issues:

Quote:
Copyright Infringement Policy

MOTHERING.COM and VerticalScope Inc. reserve the right, but not the obligation, to terminate your license to use the Web Site if determined in the sole and absolute discretion of MOTHERING.COM or VerticalScope Inc. that you are involved in infringing activity, including alleged acts of first-time or repeat infringement, regardless of whether the material or activity is ultimately determined to be infringing. MOTHERING.COM and VerticalScope Inc. accommodate and do not interfere with standard technical measures used by copyright owners to protect their materials. In addition, MOTHERING.COM and VerticalScope Inc. have implemented procedures for receiving written notification of claimed infringements and for processing such claims. If you are a copyright owner who believes your copyrighted material has been reproduced, posted or distributed via the Web Site in a manner that constitutes copyright infringement, please inform our designated copyright agent by sending a written complaint that complies with the requirements below to our designated agent by registered mail or courier:

VerticalScope Legal Department
111 Peter Street, Suite 901
Toronto, ON
M5V 2H1
CANADA
mailto: [email protected]
Deborah likes this.

Last edited by Jessica765; 11-06-2018 at 07:55 AM.
#16 of 719 Old 11-08-2018, 06:49 PM

I know that when Peggy/Cynthia took the option away years ago, the rationale was to avoid UAVs because memes can often be insulting. I thought it was overkill because there are all memes that aren't, but obviously none of us were in a position to argue.

I did find some interesting dirt on VerticalScope and copyright, however. https://bardsandsages.com/juliedawso...rreaching-tos/

#teamvaxchoice

#17 of 719 Old 11-25-2018, 07:39 PM

generic meme
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meme75.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	51385  

#18 of 719 Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 PM

Name:	meme76.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	51389
applejuice, Deborah and samaxtics like this.
#19 of 719 Old 12-07-2018, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

This really inaccurate meme is turning up over and over again.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#20 of 719 Old 12-08-2018, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
absolutely!
#21 of 719 Old 12-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Pregnancy memes for you to enjoy -
Deborah likes this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, OMS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#22 of 719 Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 AM

Pet Peeve:
Some things about memes on vaccinating are not sounding so smart. When one makes a meme to depict vaccines in a particular light to appeal to others, at least make sure the words used are spelled correctly. I can't tell you how many times I've seen missspelled words to convey a message on the danger of vaccines -- how can it be taken seriously when one can't spell correctly, or use proper grammer?
applejuice, Deborah and samaxtics like this.
#23 of 719 Old 01-19-2019, 09:14 PM

Generic meme with stock photo -- it speaks the language the pro side will understand, as they display with their verbal behavior.
applejuice likes this.
#24 of 719 Old 01-31-2019, 06:56 AM

Will kids stoop to this level?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	meme77.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	51417  

applejuice likes this.
#25 of 719 Old 01-31-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post
Will kids stoop to this level?

Typically dumb pro-vaccine thinking. There is no vaccine against colds and a child sick with the flu isn't likely to be at school, if they really have flu after getting the vaccine and not just a flu like illness.

So sneezing into their lunchbox isn't likely to make anything any worse than it already is and given that the unvaxed probably have healthier immune systems may not have any effect.
applejuice and Turquesa like this.

prevent it
#26 of 719 Old 01-31-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Typically dumb pro-vaccine thinking. There is no vaccine against colds and a child sick with the flu isn't likely to be at school, if they really have flu after getting the vaccine and not just a flu like illness.

So sneezing into their lunchbox isn't likely to make anything any worse than it already is and given that the unvaxed probably have healthier immune systems may not have any effect.
on the flipside, a newly vaccinated child with DTaP(or whatever), could potentially shed into the lunchbox, therefore causing another child to contract pertussis, since we know that component can shed - guess who will get the blame for being unvaxxed, and now a campaign for new laws, a media spin to follow, etc,etc.

The only way that situation wouldn't happen is if the mother of the child with pertussis doesn't go to the dr for confirmation of such, as he will report to the dept of health about the infectious disease.
applejuice likes this.
#27 of 719 Old 01-31-2019, 11:43 AM
Bow

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
@emmy526

Quote:
on the flipside, a newly vaccinated child with DTaP(or whatever), could potentially shed into the lunchbox, therefore causing another child to contract pertussis, since we know that component can shed - guess who will get the blame for being unvaxxed, and now a campaign for new laws, a media spin to follow, etc,etc.

Do you mean that a child vaccinated with DTaP could still be infected with pertussis, and capable of transmitting infection, even though they display no symptoms themselves (or symptoms with no diagnosis)?

The pertussis component of the vaccine, will not shed and cause infection in the sense that we discuss "shedding," in relationship to live, attenuated, viral vaccines.

You can only make ambiguous statements if you are writing for main stream media or defending a vaccine!
#28 of 719 Old 02-01-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
@emmy526

Do you mean that a child vaccinated with DTaP could still be infected with pertussis, and capable of transmitting infection, even though they display no symptoms themselves (or symptoms with no diagnosis)?

The pertussis component of the vaccine, will not shed and cause infection in the sense that we discuss "shedding," in relationship to live, attenuated, viral vaccines.

You can only make ambiguous statements if you are writing for main stream media or defending a vaccine!
maybe my memory is foggy about the links i read on this site......maybe it said only adults recently vaccinated were capable of transmitting pertussis without symptoms...hmmm
applejuice likes this.
#29 of 719 Old 02-03-2019, 06:07 AM
Bow

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
@emmy526
Quote:
maybe my memory is foggy about the links i read on this site......maybe it said only adults recently vaccinated were capable of transmitting pertussis without symptoms...hmmm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24277828

emmy, read Warfel
Quote:
To test our hypothesis, infant baboons were vaccinated at 2, 4, and 6 mo of age with aP or whole-cell pertussis (wP) vaccines and challenged with B. pertussis at 7 mo. Infection was followed by quantifying colonization in nasopharyngeal washes and monitoring leukocytosis and symptoms. Baboons vaccinated with aP were protected from severe pertussis-associated symptoms but not from colonization, did not clear the infection faster than naïve animals, and readily transmitted B. pertussis to unvaccinated contacts. Vaccination with wP induced a more rapid clearance compared with naïve and aP-vaccinated animals.
these infants, that had just, completed the series "readily transmitted."

The aP vaccine will not prevent colonization or transmission. That's why children are up to 6 doses DTaP/Tdap's between the ages of 2mos and the 11 or 12 years.

https://www.bu.edu/sph/2017/09/21/re...nt-infections/

Quote:

“This disease is back because we didn’t really understand how our immune defenses against whooping cough worked, and did not understand how the vaccines needed to work to prevent it,” said Christopher J. Gill, associate professor of global health and lead author of the article. “Instead we layered assumptions upon assumptions, and now find ourselves in the uncomfortable position of admitting that we may made some crucial errors. This is definitely not where we thought we’d be in 2017.”
But vaccines are safe and effective. The children who are behind on one of the 6 aP vaccines will be counted as unvaccinated, in the media, and blamed for the spread. Heck, they may be fully vaccinated for pertussis and only behind on a single vaccine for something unrelated to pertussis. Still get the blame. But we're all crazy.

Parents who are choosing not to vaccinate, need to be aware of this situation too. Your infant/child, is not going to be protected in a group of vaccinated children OR adults if pertussis is circulating. They are the safest in a group of those who have recovered from pertussis naturally.

Around 2/3 of the way down, Suzanne Humphries talks about pertussis. You might find it helpful
http://drsuzanne.net/dr-suzanne-hump...s-vaccination/

The pertussis component of the vaccine is a subunit. It will not shed for that reason.
This might be helpful for review

https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/types/index.html
Vaccine Types

I hate to highjack the thread but this is a topic that people really need to understand
Thank you for presenting the opportunity to discuss it!
#30 of 719 Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
@emmy526
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24277828

I hate to highjack the thread but this is a topic that people really need to understand
Thank you for presenting the opportunity to discuss it!
i'm familiar with all that you mentioned

I also have had friends in the last 3yrs or so, have new babies, -- newborn is sent home from hospital with a 'little congestion'...a couple days to a couple weeks later - BAM! Pertussis diagnosis, and drs and parents (newly vaxxed with TDaP) are wringing their hands over which unvaccinated person sickened the infant and how it happened. All infants were hospitalized, and survived. And parents pushing the pertussis vax now, too - with no investigation on their own how their child contracted pertussis.
applejuice, Deborah and Bow like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page