So who's scared to death of coronavirus? - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

866Likes

#511 of 525 Old 10-11-2020, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post
my nephew in NYC who witnessed all the refrigerator trucks for all the bodies piling up - what killed tens of thousands in such a short time in NYC? Panic?
They died from Covid, or complications related to Covid. I'm sure many had underlying factors that made them more vulnerable, but anyone that tells you it wasn't really Covid is smoking crack, IMO.

The question that's still up in the air is why NYC had such a high fatality rate compared to other countries, and other parts of the the US. NYC has seen over 200 deaths per 100,000 people, approaching their death rate during the 1918 flu pandemic. This is 4 times the death rate of other hard hit countries, like Italy, and far exceeds the current national death rate of 65 deaths per 100,000. There were definitely some bad public policy decisions that contributed to the severity of the NYC outbreak - like sending patients directly from hospitals to nursing homes for recovery, and not making use of the the beds available on the Navy hospital ship sent to help, - but I'm not sure that can fully explain NYC's outlier status. Fingers crossed that they continue to be the outlier. There's still so much we don't know about this virus.

NYC Covid-19 Death Toll Rivals Fatality Rate During 1918 Flu Epidemic, Researchers Say
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...381_story.html
Quote:
The increase in deaths in New York City during the early months of the covid-19 pandemic rivals the death toll there at the peak of the 1918 flu pandemic... New York in 1918 had a smaller population of 5.5 million people, so the death rate of 287 per 100,000 “person-months” was greater than the 202 of the current covid-19 pandemic. Person-months is a way of measuring the number of deaths in a population during a specific period of time.
NY Count: 6,300 Virus Patients Were Sent to Nursing Homes at Height of Pandemic
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...9e0_story.html

Hospital Ship Comfort Departs NYC, Having Treated Fewer Than 200 Patients
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...-200-patients/
applejuice, Deborah and emmy526 like this.

Last edited by Hyacinthe; 10-11-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#512 of 525 Old 10-11-2020, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
New York - Isn't that the state where practically the whole house (or whatever it is called) applauded their passing of a very liberal bill to allow for the murder of unborn babies even up to and including birth?

The obvious lack of concern for life was also demonstrated by the governor of New York insisting that nursing homes, who have vulnerable populations, take in sick covid patients. This insane edict resulted in the death of many in nursing homes.

Regarding New York City, the deaths are currently way down, almost too low for zero:
applejuice and Deborah like this.
#513 of 525 Old 10-11-2020, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
I would suspect that there were multiple factors at play in NY City. Here are some I've heard about:
1) As mentioned above, sending convalescent Covid patients into nursing homes that didn't have isolation facilities
2) Locking down the general population into old, crowded buildings with poor air circulation in a climate where the heating systems would spread the virus. There is a lot of evidence at this point that the best place to catch the illness is indoors and with extended exposure and/or multiple exposures.

3) Poor medical care or inappropriate medical care. It turned out, for example, that respirators were not the best choice of treatment. There have also been rumors that some NYC hospitals did not provide good care, to the point it may have increased the death rate.

4) It is possible that some deaths counted as Covid were not actually Covid. For example, if a person who is severely ill with cancer dies after being exposed to Covid, someone who would probably have died within days or weeks, is that death entirely due to the virus? There is a connection...but death within a short time was inevitable in many cases.

5) Did NYC have a large population that was vulnerable due to advanced age, bad housing and pre-existing health problems? This last one is just a question that popped into my mind. I know that the part of Italy with the worst death rate had severe air pollution, a large number of elderly people, and a high percentage of smokers, for example.

I do think that we cannot take what happened in NYC as typical of the outcome of exposure to this virus, any more than we can take what happened in South Dakota as typical.
applejuice, idler and emmy526 like this.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#514 of 525 Old 10-11-2020, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Quote:
so what illness actually killed over 200k people in the USA since march 2020? not panic...
Maybe it is not an either or thing?

We do have a pandemic, but we also do have panic.

My own feeling is that caution was a good idea in some places at some points. The panic though has been widespread. The repercussion of the panic have been huge in terms of mental health, education, the economy.....
applejuice, Deborah, idler and 1 others like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 2 teens and one young adult.

Last edited by kathymuggle; 10-11-2020 at 08:17 PM.
#515 of 525 Old 10-11-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
Maybe it is not an either or thing?

We do a pandemic, but we also do have panic.

My own feeling is that caution was a good idea in some places at some points. The panic though has been widespread. The repercussion of the panic have been huge in terms of mental health, education, the economy.....
I was thinking as I put together my list of possible factors increasing mortality in NYC that we aren't good at analyzing the interplay of multiple causes. We tend to want a linear process: this chemical "causes" cancer and this germ causes a fatal disease, etc. But in the real world, everything is an interplay of multiple factors. HPV is associated with cervical cancer, so is smoking and promiscuity.
applejuice, idler and Hyacinthe like this.

prevent it
#516 of 525 Old 10-14-2020, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
this 25yr old and a 2nd reinfection

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...764-7/fulltext
applejuice likes this.

Last edited by emmy526; 10-14-2020 at 08:22 PM.
#517 of 525 Old 10-14-2020, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

kids with covid and lasting complications

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/healt...ess/index.html
applejuice likes this.
#518 of 525 Old 10-14-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
kids with covid and lasting complications

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/healt...ess/index.html
Covid seems to be the convenient scapegoat for almost every syndrome known to man.

Regarding the first child, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome has been known for several years to be an adverse effect of the HPV vaccine.
#519 of 525 Old 10-14-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
this 25yr old died after a 2nd reinfection

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...764-7/fulltext
I didn't notice any mention in the article of the 25 year old dying.
#520 of 525 Old 10-14-2020, 07:15 PM

This is an excellent video:
applejuice and Nazsmum like this.
#521 of 525 Old 10-14-2020, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety_Bird View Post
I didn't notice any mention in the article of the 25 year old dying.
sorry...must have been reading two articles at the same time...he was one to catch covid twice..
#522 of 525 Old 10-17-2020, 05:46 PM

Interesting broadcast shows both sides, pro-strict lockdowns and anti.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investiga...eople/2376796/
applejuice and Hyacinthe like this.

prevent it
#523 of 525 Old 10-19-2020, 04:18 PM

Meanwhile in Canada:
Do you think this is real or staged?
applejuice likes this.
#524 of 525 Old 10-19-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety_Bird View Post
Meanwhile in Canada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcfy16s94k0
Do you think this is real or staged?

Could perfectly well be real. but?

There are always risks. Life doesn't come with guarantees. Nevertheless, this is an illness that is most dangerous for the elderly and the chronically ill.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#525 of 525 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
I watched it.

Do I think it is contrived? No.

At first I did - she is looking awfully pretty for a sick person. I now believe she just rallied when the cameras came and put on her makeup, or did a reenactment for the camera.

I believe it is likely real because of two things she said, neither of which are in line with party soundbites.

1. She said COVID was a blessing in disguise, as it let her know about an underlying health condition
2. She does not regret not being fearful, and would not change how she acted during the summer (which was within line with provincial guidelines, but she was not hiding in the house)

The media, I am sure, would like to put out cautionary and scary tales: perfectly healthy women gets covid, gets very sick (this part seems likely true) and regrets former socializing. This is the story they would have told if it were contrived.

That is not the story the woman told.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 2 teens and one young adult.

Last edited by kathymuggle; Yesterday at 03:31 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page