So who's scared to death of coronavirus? - Mothering Forums

493Likes

#1 of 315 Old 02-17-2020, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
So who's scared to death of coronavirus?

Funny thing is, the flu is much worse here in the USA, according to what the CDC has put for flu stats

Quote:
CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 26 million flu illnesses, 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths from flu.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 315 Old 02-17-2020, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
I am not afraid of this new flu bug. Over the last several years we have been warned of the Hong Kong, Asian, Spanish, bird, West Nile, H1N1, and swine flus, yet the regular flu gets more of us each year. I guess the CDC and MSM think we need a new "boogy man" every few cycles to hold our interest.

As for me, I take my vitamin C, D, and A, garlic, echinacea, zinc, hot tea, honey, ACV, ginger, horseradish, habanero peppers, oregano oil, tumeric, onions, elderberries, and lemon juice to stave off any threat of the flu. If I do get ill despite all of my precautions as I do once in a great while, I get some time to rest and rebuild my immune system. I do recall that I was sick in bed every three months when I was in college as I was under much stress with school and working. So stress is a big factor for me at least. I have lived in this body for a long time and I know how to take care of it.

No, I am not afraid. And there is a compound full of people quarantined from China just down the road from me.
Nazsmum and samaxtics like this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.

Last edited by applejuice; 02-17-2020 at 03:04 PM.
#3 of 315 Old 02-17-2020, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I am not afraid of this new flu bug. Over the last several years we have been warned of the Hong Kong, Asian, Spanish, bird, West Nile, H1N1, and swine flus, yet the regular flu gets more of us each year. I guess the CDC and MSM think we need a new "boogy man" every few cycles to hold our interest.

As for me, I take my vitamin C, D, and A, garlic, echinacea, zinc, hot tea, honey, and lemon juice to stave off any threat of the flu. If I do get ill despite all of my precautions as I do once in a great while, I get some time to rest and rebuild my immune system. I do recall that I was sick in bed every three months when I was in college as I was under much stress with school and working. So stress is a big factor for me at least. I have lived in this body for a long time and I know how to take care of it.

No, I am not afraid.
I'm not afraid of the virus, there are a number of good remedies for a nasty upper respiratory illness. What I am afraid of is the fallout of the absolute hysteria that they are working the world into. The frankly draconian measures that China is taking, the economic stall their country is heading for. The further economic ramifications due to the globalization of industries and credit crises almost all first world nations are undergoing. The headless chicken approach of our own government. That is something to be concerned about... They've been shrieking about a global pandemic for decades and are frothing at the mouth that they might actually have one.

#4 of 315 Old 02-17-2020, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 2565 Post(s)
Not afraid.

The list we could make about the times the sky was supposed to have fallen in....
applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 2 teens and one young adult.
#5 of 315 Old 02-18-2020, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

applejuice, Deborah and samaxtics like this.
#6 of 315 Old 02-18-2020, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

20years of doom and gloom the media has portrayed....

What's the media trying to cover up with this coronavirus sensation?
applejuice and Deborah like this.
#7 of 315 Old 02-18-2020, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 371 Post(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post
20years of doom and gloom the media has portrayed....

What's the media trying to cover up with this coronavirus sensation?

I don't think the media is in charge. The question is who is pushing the story and for what purposes.
applejuice and laurth like this.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 of 315 Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
The problem, IMO, is there's no way of knowing how seriously we should actually take this.

The unknowns with a new virus are one thing, and a given. But the media (and, I think, a certain portion of the "science community" - for lack of a better descriptive term) has been repetitively hyping each new disease to the point of "the boy who cried wolf". Add that to the lack of science education in the US. Very few journalists can actually write about science from a scientific perspective. A lot of people, journalists included, can't even remember the last news cycle and live constantly stressed by the new scary-thing. Some keep believing the little boy, and others say he's a big fat liar. (I think he might be the same kid who told me not to trust my grandmother's cooking, and then changed his mind a few decades later.)

So far at least, and like most diseases, the new virus doesn't seem to pose much of a threat to people with access to decent health care. Most cases outside Asia have been able to recover fully at home, without even visiting a hospital.

Last edited by Hyacinthe; 02-18-2020 at 08:04 PM.
#9 of 315 Old 02-18-2020, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I don't think the media is in charge. The question is who is pushing the story and for what purposes.
Sure they are -- whats the first thing people turn to in time of tragedy, be it health or natural disaster? News. The bigger the audience, the more the news is going to get out about whatever the media has taken hold of. This time it happens to be coronavirus....as I said, what's being covered up in the meantime to distract the masses? (mainly in the USA)
#10 of 315 Old 02-20-2020, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I don't think the news has much of an impact at all on those that are seeking a more natural way of life. Drug companies and food companies have a huge overreach and that trickles down to a lot of things. Where did get your flu shot at mcdonalds go?
#11 of 315 Old 02-20-2020, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannerd View Post
I don't think the news has much of an impact at all on those that are seeking a more natural way of life. Drug companies and food companies have a huge overreach and that trickles down to a lot of things. Where did get your flu shot at mcdonalds go?
it doesn't, because those of us have critical thinking skills and don't blindly trust the media.... a lot of society in the US seems to blindly follow, and repeat falsehoods heard as well.
applejuice likes this.
#12 of 315 Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

decent vid on it...altho some unanswered questions remain
#13 of 315 Old 02-28-2020, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Not afraid of the virus itself, but piggybacking off another thread that ties into this one, CT just had a large showing of unvaxxed to protest HB5044, which was unfortunately bullied it's way through the Public Health Committee. Now less than a week later this in the news: https://www.wtnh.com/news/health/cor...t-meriden-lab/

"Sanofi – which owns Protein Science – self-defines as a company focused on “human vaccines, rare diseases, multiple sclerosis, oncology, immunology, infectious diseases,” among other things.

Sanofi reports that they will be use work already done in search of a SARS vaccine to “unlock a fast path forward for developing a COVID-19 vaccine.”

Researchers will be working with the Department of Health in their pursuit."

Also this: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/17/w...ronavirus.html

"the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo told passengers that no one infected with the new coronavirus would be allowed to board charter flights to the United States.

But those plans were hastily changed after the test results for 14 passengers came back positive — just as they were being loaded onto buses and dispatched to the airport, where two reconfigured cargo jets were waiting to fly them to military bases in California and Texas.

After consultations with health experts, the U.S. government decided to let the infected evacuees, who were not yet exhibiting symptoms, board the flights."

So after some news report this morning stated that it's been reported on every continent except Antarctica, we're now flying known cases back on regular flights and lets just see how this impacts our numbers here. But it's ok we have a vaccine in the works! And once all of these states do away with exemptions this will just get added to the requirements and no one will have any way to object or opt out! Schools and colleges are cancelling international trips left and right and preparing for the closure of campus classes while media is telling people to stock up with food in case of mandatory quarantines. This is straight out of the movies insanity. If people would only wake up and realize how much of this is hype and use their critical thinking to see past the media reported nonsense....
applejuice and Hyacinthe like this.
#14 of 315 Old 03-01-2020, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Similar to previous fear-mongering outbreaks / 'epidemics', I'm noticing a pattern, i.e.:
Quote:
A man in his 70s has become second person to die of coronavirus in the U.S. Officials said man was at EvergreenHealth hospital in King County, Washington, and had underlying health conditions at the time of his illness, and died on Saturday.

A man in his 50s with underlying health conditions was previously confirmed to have died of coronavirus at the same hospital.

Officials also confirmed three other cases at EvergreenHealth - a woman in her 80s, a woman in her 90s and a man in his 70s - all of whom are in a critical condition.
So it doesn't seem that this bogey man virus is striking down healthy people in their prime.
applejuice likes this.
#15 of 315 Old 03-01-2020, 08:27 PM

Seems to me that there maybe something wrong with the ventilation system at the hospital.

Which makes the coronavirus2019 influenza a nosocomial infection.
Deborah likes this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#16 of 315 Old 03-02-2020, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
The hype is irritating. Every year, some sort of bug, with or without a vaccine, circulates. People get sick from it. The overwhelming majority stay in bed sleeping, reading books, and streaming movies. A small percentage suffer more severely but pull through. A tiny percentage tragically die.

I support more medical research and interventions that will prevent those rare deaths. I do not support fear-mongering, hysteria, and making the simple act of getting a mild case of an illness into something terrifying . . . or taboo.

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
#teamvaxchoice

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#17 of 315 Old 03-02-2020, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

#18 of 315 Old 03-02-2020, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A post from a doctor that has worked with the coronavirus since the 70's.

Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.
The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.
I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email.

Good luck to all of us! Jim
James Robb, MD FCAP
applejuice and samaxtics like this.
#19 of 315 Old 03-02-2020, 05:08 PM

Thanks @emmy526

For some reason I'm still not feeling paranoid at all. I'll have to work on that.

prevent it
#20 of 315 Old 03-02-2020, 05:47 PM

From Twitter:

prevent it
#21 of 315 Old 03-03-2020, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
I wonder how well-received his data will be.

https://gph.is/g/aQOK8NV

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
#teamvaxchoice

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#22 of 315 Old 03-03-2020, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Michael Moore retweeted a Seattle woman's experience trying to get tested for COVID-19 as she has symptoms and works in a physical therapy clinic and treats many seniors. Her handle on Twitter is sketchy lady.

She called the hotline only to be wait 40 mins before giving up. Looked at the CDC and Washington state health websites where she was informed to call primary doctor. One primary doctor said they don't know where to get testing and that she shouldn't seek testing. Another primary doc told her to go to the ER/Urgent Care. She called Urgent Care and they said they didn't know where the tests were but for her to call the hospital. She called the hospital and they don't have tests but transferred her to the Hotline she previously called and they told her she didn't qualify for testing.

So this is looking like what happened in 2009 when they quit/weren't testing for H1N1.

What do people do when they have no paid sick leave and can't afford to miss one day without pay never mind several?

But no, I'm not scared about coronavirus.
applejuice, mama24-7 and Nazsmum like this.
#23 of 315 Old 03-11-2020, 01:35 PM

Some states are implementing crowd control and will not allow assemblies of more than 350 persons to keep the spread of coronavirus19.

This may impact the gathering of those nutty anti-vaxers at the state legislatures to protest the introduction and passage of vaccine mandate laws.

Rather convenient, is it not?

#24 of 315 Old 03-11-2020, 04:56 PM

This is interesting.
Quote:
“Receiving influenza vaccination may increase the risk of other respiratory viruses, a phenomenon known as virus interference.”

“Vaccine derived virus interference was significantly associated with coronavirus...”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/31607599/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89370216_2896514937036790_8128698861536411648_n.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	53347  

#25 of 315 Old 03-11-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
This is interesting.

Sure is. Shall we start a betting pool on how long it will take to be declared FAKE NEWS?
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#26 of 315 Old 03-12-2020, 06:28 PM

Article about the experience with SARS. They never did develop a usable vaccine for SARS. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92467/

Quote:
Faced with increasing transmission, the Ontario government designated SARS as a reportable, communicable, and virulent disease under the Health Protection and Promotion Act on March 25, 2003. This move gave public health officials the authority to track infected people, and issue orders preventing them from engaging in activities that might transmit the new disease. Provincial public health activated its emergency operations center.
By the evening of March 26, 2003, the West Park unit and all available negative pressure rooms in Toronto hospitals were full; however, 10 ill Scarborough Hospital staff needing admissions were waiting in the emergency department, and others who were ill were waiting at home to be seen. Overnight, with the declaration of a provincial emergency, the Ontario government required all hospitals to create units to care for SARS patients.
By March 25, 2003, Health Canada was reporting 19 cases of SARS in Canada—18 in Ontario and the single case in Vancouver. But 48 patients with a presumptive diagnosis of SARS had in fact been admitted to hospital by the end of that day. Many more individuals were starting to feel symptoms, and would subsequently be identified as SARS patients. Epidemic curves later showed that this period was the peak of the outbreak. On March 19, nine Canadians developed “probable” SARS, the highest single-day total. Taking “suspect” and “probable” cases together, the peak was March 26, and the 3 days, March 25 to 27 are the highest 3-day period in the outbreak.

Similar, but mostly very different.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#27 of 315 Old 03-12-2020, 06:56 PM

Good find, Deborah!

As Dr. Robert S. Mendelsohn, M.D. used to say, diseases come and go, mostly despite what us humans do about it.
idler likes this.

#28 of 315 Old 03-15-2020, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Isn't this terrible:
applejuice and Nazsmum like this.
#29 of 315 Old 03-17-2020, 07:25 AM

Another group that is scared is pregnant women. Apparently there is a sudden rush into home births. https://www.thedailybeast.com/pregna...id-19-pandemic

Quote:
At the Puget Sound Birth Center, where Seattle families flock for help with home births or a room in their candle-lit, hospital-gown-free birth center, Micki Persons usually presides over 30 to 35 births per month. In the last two weeks alone, she’s already added six more.
In neighboring Olympia, midwife Rachel Cook had five clients switch from a hospital birth to a home birth in the last two weeks. Kat Barron, a former home-birth midwife, announced two days ago that she was coming out of retirement. Five people have already reached out for her assistance.
“This is what we’re all seeing. We really need midwives stepping up,” Barron said. “Because would you want to go to a hospital right now? It’s pretty terrifying.”

prevent it
#30 of 315 Old 03-17-2020, 07:29 AM

Info from China, including various treatments. Vitamin C is one. https://covid19data.com/2020/03/04/e...shanghai-2019/

Quote:
6. Prevention and treatment of cytokine storm: It is recommended to use large doses of vitamin C and unfractionated heparin. Large doses of vitamin C are injected intravenously at a dose of 100 to 200 mg / kg per day. The duration of continuous use is to significantly improve the oxygenation index. It is recommended to use large doses. Dose of the broad-spectrum protease inhibitor ulinastatin, given 1.6 million units, once every 8 h, under mechanical ventilation, when the oxygenation index> 300 mmHg can be reduced to 1 million units / d. Anticoagulation can be taken The treatment protects endothelial cells and reduces the release of cytokines. When FDP ≥ 10 µg / mL and / or D-dimer ≥ 5 μg / mL, anticoagulation is given to unfractionated heparin (3 to 15 IU / kg per hour). Heparin is used for the first time. The patient’s coagulation function and platelets must be re-examined 4 h later. ISVVH is used for 6 to 10 h every day.

At the end of the document they have a section on using Traditional Chinese Medicine.

Interesting to see an approach that is open to a variety of treatments, depending mostly on the needs of the patient.
applejuice and Hyacinthe like this.

prevent it

Last edited by Deborah; 03-17-2020 at 07:31 AM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page