Mask Madness - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

194Likes

#61 of 88 Old 07-26-2020, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
OK, not to be irreligious, it is just a meme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110336328_10159976777199018_628987685952214005_n.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	53841  

sunshinemama91 likes this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 88 Old 07-26-2020, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Anyone notice how states are starting to mandate the mask wearing, or face consequences for not wearing one.....

so i guess our rights DO end because of someone elses fear

what next....
#63 of 88 Old 07-27-2020, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
This was the decision reached after nurses in Ontario Canada brought a grievance against their employer because most of them were refusing to submit to vaccination for the annual ‘flu shot’. The employers then compelled un-vaccinated nurses to wear masks ALL the time at work.

https://www.ona.org/wp-content/uploa...a_20180906.pdf

#64 of 88 Old 07-28-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Across the US, at least 27 states have paused or rolled back their reopening plans and imposed new restrictions. More than 40 states have some kind of mask requirement.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/healt...day/index.html

More restrictions are coming to states to limit social gatherings....think divide and conquer
applejuice and Deborah like this.
#65 of 88 Old 07-28-2020, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
OK, not to be irreligious, it is just a meme.
Interesting. Are only women getting sick because the men are (theoretically) protected by their face coverings? Are these regions in which 100% of the women cover their faces?

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#66 of 88 Old 07-28-2020, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sew maska by myself and it is absolutely comfortable
applejuice likes this.
#67 of 88 Old 07-28-2020, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
So....

Are masks mandatory where you live?

and

Do you wear them? Why or why not?

Masks were made mandatory here inside establishments about 2 weeks ago. I am not a fan, but I do wear them.

I do not wear them because I am convinced they work (I am not, especially the way people use them, lol). I do think they might lower transmission rates, and in some ways that is good enough. I am a fan of the precautionary principal and do not require a huge burden of proof to do things or not do things, especially non invasive things.

I do not wear it because I am an automatic law abider. I am not, although I generally think that if you disagree with a law, you should vote out the person in power versus taking things into your own hands.

I do not wear it because I think the numbers warrant it. in my area that is actually funny.

I do not wear it to make opening up business safer - although that is a good argument.

I wear it because I do not want conflict, and I especially do not want to give a minimum wage retail worker (who did not set this stupid rule) a hard time. I shop less, which is bad for business, but what can you do? Masks are not comfortable, and shopping in general is not a heck of a lot of fun right now.

_______

ETA: I feel a bit like a fraud, wearing a mask. So much politics, judgement and hostility in the world right now,
applejuice, Deborah, idler and 1 others like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 2 teens and one young adult.

Last edited by kathymuggle; 07-28-2020 at 02:36 PM.
#68 of 88 Old 07-28-2020, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
So....

and

Masks were made mandatory here inside establishments about 2 weeks ago. I am not a fan, but I do wear them.

I do not wear them because I am convinced they work (I am not, especially the way people use them, lol). I do think they might lower transmission rates, and in some ways that is good enough. I am a fan of the precautionary principal and do not require a huge burden of proof to do things or not do things, especially non invasive things.

I do not wear it because I am an automatic law abider. I am not, although I generally think that if you disagree with a law, you should vote out the person in power versus taking things into your own hands.

I do not wear it because I think the numbers warrant it. in my area that is actually funny.

I do not wear it to make opening up business safer - although that is a good argument.

I wear it because I do not want conflict, and I especially do not want to give a minimum wage retail worker (who did not set this stupid rule) a hard time. I shop less, which is bad for business, but what can you do? Masks are not comfortable, and shopping in general is not a heck of a lot of fun right now.

_______

ETA: I feel a bit like a fraud, wearing a mask. So much politics, judgement and hostility in the world right now,

Very much in the same place. And I'm definitely getting by with a minimum of shopping.
applejuice likes this.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
#69 of 88 Old 07-29-2020, 07:31 AM

The virtual social police ARE coming

Quote:
An online dashboard allows users to search for all the instances of people who are too close without a mask, for example, with video clips showing each time this was recorded.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/tech/...ols/index.html
applejuice likes this.
#70 of 88 Old 07-29-2020, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

What's next?

Electric shock when you venture 'too close' to someone!
applejuice and Nazsmum like this.
#71 of 88 Old 07-30-2020, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Yesterday someone YELLED at me for not wearing gloves...for get about what she said about the mask
#72 of 88 Old 07-30-2020, 07:46 AM

I got spoken to because my purse was on the counter by my groceries the cashier just checked...she said not to put my purse there by my groceries...i pointed at the tiny plexiglass that was in front of her, and told her I am sooo glad that plexiglass is protecting me from her hands which just touched everyone else's groceries and then touched mine...no response
applejuice, Deborah and Nazsmum like this.
#73 of 88 Old 07-30-2020, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
So....

and

_______

I actually bowed down for the first time yesterday because I didnt want conflict and it was the first time I think since April or may that I took my kids to the store- about 3 minutes after walking into the store. All the kids masks were off, I told my 4 year old to put hers back on, she said no because she wants to BREATHE. I had like a claustrophobic attack, between allergies and asthma, couldnt breathe. Took mine off. One like angry 50 year old man hounded us a bit, but I just told him there are both medical AND religious exemptions. Which there are that legally have to be respected to avoid lawsuit. I will definitely take the conflict over suffocating, but I had heard they were turning away medical exemptions so I decided that we would at least make the effort. Effort was laughable.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk
#74 of 88 Old 07-31-2020, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

It must be nice when your wife / girlfriend can make your face masks match your ties: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-ties-day.html
#75 of 88 Old 07-31-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety_Bird View Post
It must be nice when your wife / girlfriend can make your face masks match your ties: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-ties-day.html
Thrilling!
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#76 of 88 Old 07-31-2020, 07:11 PM

Is Covid floating on the breeze? https://www.jeremyrhammond.com/2020/...ission-part-1/

Quote:
Importantly, the Times included the caveat that “The virus does not linger in the air at high enough levels to be a risk to most people who are not physically near an infected person.”
In other words, even if we assume that SARS-CoV-2 is spread via the airborne route by people who have no symptoms of infection, prolonged close contact with others would still be required for transmission to occur.
Relevant to the ongoing debate about executive mask-wearing orders, the article also quoted Dr. Marr saying that “surgical masks are probably insufficient” to protect health care workers from airborne transmission—as opposed to serving as a physical barrier to transmission via larger respiratory droplets.

More than you ever wanted to know about Covid floating by on the breeze.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#77 of 88 Old 08-01-2020, 12:38 PM

anyone else get hiccups when wearing a mask? I do nonstop....every. single. time.
#78 of 88 Old 08-02-2020, 10:06 AM

Ontario kids are being sent back to school in September. grade 4-12 must wear a mask most of the day. This should be good - popcorn anyone? My youngest just graduated - very glad of it, too. She will do post secondary courses online for now.
applejuice, Deborah and Nazsmum like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

#79 of 88 Old 08-02-2020, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Quote:
So....

and

Masks are mandatory here with medical exemptions. You do not have to explain your exemption to anybody. On a bad asthma day, I don't wear one and will carry my inhaler conspicuously. On better days, I wear the mask. It doesn't bear the risk profile of a vaccine, and so far it's enforced only through social pressure.

This guy has specifically asked not to be quoted or cited as opposing mask mandates. Too bad. I share his links because he underscores my conviction that scientific complexities shouldn't become public health absolutes. https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...nting-covid-19

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
#teamvaxchoice

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
#80 of 88 Old 08-05-2020, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
"This is an unstaged photo. A very small child, alone, on a toilet, and their mask has fallen to the toilet floor. The child will then put it back on her face, after it picks up untold fecal-borne bacteria and viruses from the dirtiest place in western society. Masking children is the greatest mistake of our lifetimes."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	117237723_3428981400479307_8399370258829180447_n.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	53907  

Nazsmum likes this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#81 of 88 Old 08-06-2020, 07:10 AM

I worry about the mental aspects of having children wear masks and social distance.

On one hand I do believe children are resilient....

On the other, if children willing wear a mask all the time and stay 6 feet away from anyone outside their household...what have we done to them? Humans are social creatures, and if they are so fearful they actually stay away from their friends and wear uncomfortable masks all day long (as is being proposed here for children in grade 4 plus) what are we doing to them????

Covid barely affects children. Many, perhaps most, are asymptomatic. Once again and like vaccines, they are being asked to "take one for the team" only this time the risk is not primarily physical but mental/emotional.
applejuice, Deborah, idler and 1 others like this.

#82 of 88 Old 08-06-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I worry about the mental aspects of having children wear masks and social distance.

On one hand I do believe children are resilient....

On the other, if children willing wear a mask all the time and stay 6 feet away from anyone outside their household...what have we done to them? Humans are social creatures, and if they are so fearful they actually stay away from their friends and wear uncomfortable masks all day long (as is being proposed here for children in grade 4 plus) what are we doing to them????

Covid barely affects children. Many, perhaps most, are asymptomatic. Once again and like vaccines, they are being asked to "take one for the team" only this time the risk is not primarily physical but mental/emotional.
i think it carries all those risks.....if they are transmission vectors, then they can potentially bring it home to their parents or other family members who may get gravely ill...thats the physical aspect they would see, and then the mental/emotional toll would be worse...and if their teacher were to actually die from this? Again, a physical, mental and emotional toll on the children. Will they think they caused the death? Would they think they brought the illness home to family?
And, as for it 'barely affecting children', the families who have lost children to this, probably dont see it that way at all. Kind of like it 'barely affects healthy young adults'...plenty have already died from it.
applejuice and Nazsmum like this.
#83 of 88 Old 08-06-2020, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post
i think it carries all those risks.....if they are transmission vectors, then they can potentially bring it home to their parents or other family members who may get gravely ill...thats the physical aspect they would see, and then the mental/emotional toll would be worse...and if their teacher were to actually die from this? Again, a physical, mental and emotional toll on the children. Will they think they caused the death? Would they think they brought the illness home to family?
I think one of the most harmful outcomes of this pandemic is the impulse to regard other people primarily as potential "transmission vectors". What are we teaching children by implying that the most important thing in their life is to avoid catching this virus, that if they catch this (or another) virus and someone else gets sick it is somehow their fault?

We are trading our humanity (human connections in every realm of existence) for the illusion of safety. Yes, measures can be taken to mitigate various threats and harms, but safety is never guaranteed, even if you wear a mask forever and never hug another person again in your life. And what kind of life would that be? Everything is being reduced to its most basic function within capitalism -- to its transaction value -- and the things that humans, especially small humans, need to enjoy and express their humanity are being shunted aside, as if they don't matter at all. Education is about more than spooning information into little heads. To act as if it doesn't matter whether kids can see their teachers' or each others' facial expressions, that it doesn't matter that they won't be permitted to socialize but must sit in their plexiglass-enclosed desks all day, masked and isolated even while they're in the presence of others is, in my view, to profoundly misunderstand what happens, or should happen, at school. The measures my school district is taking will make school even more like a prison than it was before (that's if/when they are able to go back -- right now the plan is for 100% online until at least the end of October, which is a different kind of hell, imo).

This is an unpopular view, I guess, because people always trot out the fatalities and other harms done by the virus to refute it, but I think the harm being done to children who are not able to have the experiences they need to grow and develop physically, mentally, and emotionally are more tragic because they will be longer-lasting. My 12-year-old, if she's lucky, has another 60+ years of life ahead of her. If she becomes an anxious, depressed, un-socialized, or anti-social person because of this experience, it might be 60+ years of suffering (NB: she is already suffering).

Meanwhile, in Sweden cases are going down.
Sweden, Which Never Had Lockdown, Sees COVID-19 Cases Plummet as Rest of Europe Suffers Spike
Quote:
Amid fears over a potential second wave of the novel coronavirus across Europe, new infections in Sweden, where full lockdown measures were not implemented, have mostly declined since late June.

The number of new cases per 100,000 people in Sweden reported over the last 14 days since July 29 dropped by 54 percent from the figure reported over 14 days prior to then, according to the latest report Wednesday from the World Health Organization (WHO).
#84 of 88 Old 08-06-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post
And, as for it 'barely affecting children', the families who have lost children to this, probably dont see it that way at all. Kind of like it 'barely affects healthy young adults'...plenty have already died from it.
Not sure, emmy.

Of course parents who lose children to Covid do not see it this way - but risk is risk and the risk from Covid of death in children is incredibly low. https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...know-1.5023528

As per the rest, you are not wrong per se...but I still believe that if we need to put the fear of god in young children to ensure collective/adult safety, especially in schools and the like, then people need to take a hard look at what they are doing to kids. If I had a young child, and could afford it, and did not have elderly loved ones I was trying to protect, I would homeschool them this up coming year and bubble up with other families for socializing purposes. This bubbling up would include much outdoor play and reminders to wash hands, but would not include masks or me yelling at kids to stay 6 feet apart.
applejuice, Deborah, idler and 2 others like this.

Last edited by kathymuggle; 08-06-2020 at 02:21 PM.
#85 of 88 Old 08-06-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Not sure, emmy.

Of course parents who lose children to Covid do not see it this way - but risk is risk and the risk from Covid of death in children is incredibly low. https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...know-1.5023528

As per the rest, you are not wrong per se...but I still believe that if we need to put the fear of god in young children to ensure collective/adult safety, especially in schools and the like, then people need to take a hard look at what they are doing to kids. If I had a young child, and could afford it, and did not have elderly loved ones I was trying to protect, I would homeschool them this up coming year and bubble up with other families for socializing purposes. This bubbling up would include much outdoor play and reminders to wash hands, but would not include masks or me yelling at kids to stay 6 feet apart.

I'm 70. I've been hugging my grandchildren for several weeks now. One just turned 17 and the other is 20. I think it is worth the risk.
applejuice, idler and Nazsmum like this.

prevent it
#86 of 88 Old 08-07-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I'm 70. I've been hugging my grandchildren for several weeks now. One just turned 17 and the other is 20. I think it is worth the risk.
Well yes, there is that.

I think we need to be careful not to speak for or make assumptions about older adults. Many of them would absolutely prefer some human contact, even if it comes with risks.
applejuice, Deborah and idler like this.

#87 of 88 Old 08-07-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Well yes, there is that.

I think we need to be careful not to speak for or make assumptions about older adults. Many of them would absolutely prefer some human contact, even if it comes with risks.

Risk varies. Although I'm older, I'm very healthy and have a good immune system. Only one vaccine in my entire life and a fairly healthy diet helps. So my evaluation is that my risk is quite low despite my age. I don't look down on people who have medical conditions and therefore higher risk.

On the other hand, early on someone I knew got quite sick. The symptoms didn't match Covid, but she eventually got tested. It was just a run of the mill sickness, mostly due to overwork. She was working for a business that started booming due to the lockdown and had been working 12 hour days, seven days a week. A healthy person, but overwork can do anyone in!
applejuice and idler like this.

prevent it
#88 of 88 Old 08-07-2020, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

It seems that the 'Mask Madness' is not new at all. It also happened over a century ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/u...=pocket-newtab

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page