• 4 Post By idler
  • 3 Post By Deborah
  • 1 Post By Deborah

#1 of 20 Old 08-31-2020, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2106 Post(s)
Hypocrisies, Inconsistencies, Irrational Thinking

I'm convinced that when fear takes over, the brain shuts down, and people can't think clearly. This definitely applies to how we view vaccines and infectious disease. Have you noticed any inconsistent attitudes or actions related to COVID-19, either in your personal life or in society?

Here are some of my observations. Do you have any examples of your own?

1. Do you remember this gem of a letter suggesting that the righteousness of a cause somehow affected COVID-19 transmission? :rofl https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/healt...rnd/index.html

Quote:
"However, as public health advocates, we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission. We support them as vital to the national public health and to the threatened health specifically of Black people in the United States. We can show that support by facilitating safest protesting practices without detracting from demonstrators' ability to gather and demand change. This should not be confused with a permissive stance on all gatherings, particularly protests against stay-home orders."
2. In my area, you MUST wear a mask indoors . . . until your host seats you at your table and you start eating or drinking. Then everyone is (somehow) safe.

3. My library resembles a movie like Outbreak or Contagion. You may only browse a couple of shelves worth of books, (Hey! At least there's stuff available to check out!), and you must put books you've handled and decided not to check out into a bin, which will go to the vault for 5 days - along with all returned items - for quarantine.

Meanwhile . . . . we all go to Target and the supermarket, handle products, and return them to the shelves.

4. Some extended family met up with us. The same family member who bemoans "COV-idiots" was maskless and hugging everybody that he hadn't see in months.
applejuice, Deborah, idler and 1 others like this.

I'm the crunchy mom Dr. Amy warned you about.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP old MDC. We miss you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 08-31-2020, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Oh yes, lots. I complain bitterly and ad nauseam to just about anyone who will listen about how logic is completely absent in people's behavior and thinking around COVID. For now I will just highlight the one that is currently making smoke come out of my ears.

I teach at a community college, and some of our classes are being held in person with reduced class sizes, social distancing, and masks. In addition to those things, we are required to have students sit in the same place for every class meeting, to have a seating chart, and to take attendance at every class meeting, supposedly to facilitate contact tracing should someone test positive for COVID. It is very important that we be able to place students and identify anyone they might have come in contact with. AND YET the college has not changed its two-week drop/add period, so students are coming and going from classes willy nilly, some showing up who are not on the official roll, some dropping or changing class after attending once -- the usual chaos. What is the point of trying to limit contacts by reducing class sizes and keeping all of these records, if it's basically a free-for-all the first two weeks of class? Also, between last Wednesday and today, the seating configuration of one of my classrooms was completely changed. How am I supposed to maintain a seating chart if the seats aren't in the same place?!

My questions are all rhetorical, of course, because the college, like so many other institutions, is clearly engaged in hygiene/safety theater. Unfortunately, the fact that institutions continue to carry out these pointless and illogical practices helps perpetuate the atmosphere of fear.
#3 of 20 Old 08-31-2020, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
At my library, one must call ahead and make an appointment to check out books.

Quote:
You may only browse a couple of shelves worth of books, ...
Deborah and Turquesa like this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, OMS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.

#4 of 20 Old 08-31-2020, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
This one is dandy. The governor of Mass. is going to save everyone from Covid by forcing children to get an annual flu vaccine to attend daycare or school.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/08...y-unwarranted/
applejuice likes this.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
#5 of 20 Old 08-31-2020, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
There are a lot of protests and rallies going on for various reasons, but I'm continually frustrated that the dangers-of-not social-distancing/masking messaging seems to not be applied equally to all. It seems to be an unfortunate, but understood and even acceptable risk in some instances; but completely selfish and dangerous in others. You really can't have it both ways. You shouldn't be able to condemn one person, but excuse another for the same behavior.
applejuice, Deborah and Turquesa like this.
#6 of 20 Old 09-01-2020, 05:47 PM

Can we file this one under hypocrisies?
applejuice, Turquesa and stellanyc like this.

prevent it
#7 of 20 Old 09-02-2020, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Can we file this one under hypocrisies?
Heck, yea! We could get a whole file going on hypocritical bureaucrats and politicians.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ut-mask-baseb/

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/...ning-maryland/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Napa-open.html

https://www.newsweek.com/uk-scientis...-rules-1502170

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...break-n1181546

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...on/ar-BB13ccay
applejuice and Deborah like this.

#teamvaxchoice

#8 of 20 Old 09-02-2020, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe View Post
There are a lot of protests and rallies going on for various reasons, but I'm continually frustrated that the dangers-of-not social-distancing/masking messaging seems to not be applied equally to all. It seems to be an unfortunate, but understood and even acceptable risk in some instances; but completely selfish and dangerous in others. You really can't have it both ways. You shouldn't be able to condemn one person, but excuse another for the same behavior.
I'm both a Black Lives Matter supporter and a woman of faith. I'm allowed to go to the "church" of protesting and hear the preaching there, but not the church I actually attend. I can't even enter my library, and supermarkets have little distancing X's to stand on at checkout, but I can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with protesters downtown if I so choose.
applejuice, Deborah, idler and 1 others like this.

#teamvaxchoice

#9 of 20 Old 09-02-2020, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

This one is absolutely golden.

It's unsafe for students to go to school and sit in the classroom. Therefore they must stay home and learn virtually, unless they pay someone to go to school and sit in the classroom.

https://www.wral.com/durham-public-s...ning/19235986/
applejuice, Deborah and idler like this.

#teamvaxchoice

#10 of 20 Old 09-02-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

It's unsafe for students to go to school and sit in the classroom. Therefore they must stay home and learn virtually, unless they pay someone to go to school and sit in the classroom.

Link didn't work.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#11 of 20 Old 09-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
“Opening our school year remotely is the right decision to protect our students and staff from COVID-19,” said DPS Superintendent Pascal Mubenga. “However, there are many families in Durham who need additional support during the school day. It will take a community effort to support each of these children, but DPS is doing its part.”

The DPS Learning Centers will provide a safe space to complete online learning, meals and snacks, and social-emotional activities. Students will be assigned to small pods with daily wellness screenings, distribution and required use of facemasks, and planned circulation and seating of six feet social distancing

where does it say the option to pay someone to go to school to sit in the classroom? Did i miss something?

Quote:
Access to the learning centers will be free from some students, such as those receiving McKinney-Vento services and in foster care, other families will pay a $35 registration fee and a monthly weekly rate as follows:
I thought public schooling is paid for through taxes...why are parents being charged AGAIN?
#12 of 20 Old 09-03-2020, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

where does it say the option to pay someone to go to school to sit in the classroom? Did i miss something?

I thought public schooling is paid for through taxes...why are parents being charged AGAIN?
It's in the first paragraph that they're going to be doing it on school grounds.

As hypocrisy goes, did anyone catch this funny bit?

Deborah likes this.

#teamvaxchoice

#13 of 20 Old 09-03-2020, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Link didn't work.
It's working for me. Did you get a paywall?

#teamvaxchoice

#14 of 20 Old 09-03-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
It's working for me. Did you get a paywall?
Now it is working, but it wants me to turn off my ad blocker. Since I've got a pretty good idea of the content from you ladies I won't bother. Crazy!
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#15 of 20 Old 09-04-2020, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, how sweet. Oh, how heroic. And all of this without a mask!

https://janejanejane.com/2020/09/01/...spitalization/

#teamvaxchoice

#16 of 20 Old 09-04-2020, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Pelosi, too??

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...t-15540110.php

#teamvaxchoice

#17 of 20 Old 09-04-2020, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Quote:
Pelosi, too?
To be honest, poor Nancy thought the sign said, "saloon". Let us give her a break.
Deborah likes this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, OMS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#18 of 20 Old 09-10-2020, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I was talking with a friend today, someone I've commiserated with many times about the fear-mongering around COVID. She mentioned several times the low mortality rate for COVID. Then at some point she started talking about how "anti-vaxxers" would probably refuse the COVID vaccine, how she was tempted to volunteer for clinical trials, etc. I said, "Why do we need a vaccine for something that has a low mortality rate and is a mild illness the vast majority of people who contract it?" I had to ask this question several times before she understood what I was saying, and her only reply was that we need a vaccine "so we can get back to normal". I repeated again, "Why do we need a vaccine for an illness that is not deadly for most people? Why should people want to get vaccinated for something that would likely be a mild illness?" No answer, just we need a vaccine so things can get back to normal. I would call this inconsistent and illogical thinking.

Fortunately we were talking on the phone, so she couldn't see my face through all of this.
#19 of 20 Old 09-10-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idler View Post
I was talking with a friend today, someone I've commiserated with many times about the fear-mongering around COVID. She mentioned several times the low mortality rate for COVID. Then at some point she started talking about how "anti-vaxxers" would probably refuse the COVID vaccine, how she was tempted to volunteer for clinical trials, etc. I said, "Why do we need a vaccine for something that has a low mortality rate and is a mild illness the vast majority of people who contract it?" I had to ask this question several times before she understood what I was saying, and her only reply was that we need a vaccine "so we can get back to normal". I repeated again, "Why do we need a vaccine for an illness that is not deadly for most people? Why should people want to get vaccinated for something that would likely be a mild illness?" No answer, just we need a vaccine so things can get back to normal. I would call this inconsistent and illogical thinking.

Fortunately we were talking on the phone, so she couldn't see my face through all of this.
That is the narrative and she is sticking to it! As are a lot of people.
applejuice, Turquesa and Hyacinthe like this.

prevent it
#20 of 20 Old 09-15-2020, 07:10 PM

Bill Gates and his friends apparently played no active role in the global economic collapse. https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...eeks/24620576/

Quote:
The downturn isn't limited to poor countries. In rich countries like the US, income gains had already been uneven in recent years, with the richest getting richer a lot faster than everybody else.
Now, that divide is growing sharply worse.
According to the US Census Bureau, roughly one in three Americans had trouble paying their bills in August due to the pandemic, an issue that's disproportionately affecting Black and Latinx Americans.

The pandemic has also meant many more kids have been going without doses of life-saving vaccines.
According to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (the Gates Foundation's data partner) 25 years of progress to get the world vaccinated against deadly diseases was just swiftly wiped out, in 25 weeks during the pandemic.

https://nationalfile.com/gates-found...-model-makers/

but he paid for the bad models?
Quote:
White House Coronavirus task force member Dr. Deborah Birx touted the IHME’s “Chris Murray Model” in April. IHME is housed at the University of Washington and was reportedly founded by the Gates Foundation, according to a Fox 9 report. In 2017, the Gates Foundation provided a ten-year, $279 million grant to IHME. Birx, meanwhile, sits on the board of the Global Fund, which has received more than $2 billion from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The IHME model proved to be a total disaster. In Georgia, where Republican governor Brian Kemp led the charge for re-opening his state, the model previously predicted 1,783 new cases per day on June 12 and hundreds of new cases per day into August. That model, just revised, shows 367 new cases per day on June 12 and zero new cases per day by August.

This is hypocrisy on an unbelievable scale. The rest of us just cannot possibly compete.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page