People Passing Out Waiting for the Flu Vax! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 10-15-2004, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did anyone else see on the news about seniors fainting while waiting in line for the flu vaccine in Florida? I've been trying to google it, but am not having much luck.
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-15-2004, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hadn't heard that! But here in Georgia the Gwinnett Co board of health did drive thru vaccinations! Traffic was backed up for miles and miles, it was crazy.

I think this whole flu craze is just that Crazy! Even if you get the vaccination there is no guarantee that you are not going to get the flu. Last year I got the vac and I was still sick as dog. I did get it this year but only because we happened to be at the Dr's office and they said "we've got it, do you and your children want it" This was before the news outbreak so I said yes.
Personally, I think if you take care of yourself and your family and just be aware that the flu is out there you are going to be ok. All of this hype and people freaking out just makes it worse.
#3 of 9 Old 10-16-2004, 05:02 AM

Today there was this story:

Woman Dies From Fall While Waiting For Flu Shot

Quote:
A 79-year-old woman has died from injuries she sustained while waiting in line for a flu shot with her husband. Marie Franklin collapsed after standing in line for more than five hours at a California supermarket.

Marie Franklin and her husband were in line with hundreds of seniors waiting for a flu shot at a Lafayette, Safeway supermarket.

#4 of 9 Old 10-16-2004, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
That is so sad. They probably dont know any better and think it will actually help them. The elderly dont always have access to the internet and seem to be more trusting of doctors than the younger people I know.

Mama to a teen and tween
#5 of 9 Old 10-16-2004, 11:13 AM

I've been wondering when these kinds of stories would start popping up. On our news this week (I NEVER watch tv news--don't know what got into me.) There was a 97 year old man in a nursing home complaining about the shortage of flu vax and saying that the gov should step in because, "We seniors need it more than the young ones."

Nice, huh? Throw the babies to the wolves, as long as *I* get my shot! (Not that I'm advocating that ANYONE get the shot--just marveling at the desperation and selfishness of those who believe in it.)

I'm surprised we haven't heard stories of it being available on the black market. Hey, is it on ebay yet?

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#6 of 9 Old 10-16-2004, 11:35 AM

this really amazing to me...here in the UK where the shortage started, there is no big issues about the flu vax. yeah it was reported that there would be shortages but no great stampede to get one.
#7 of 9 Old 10-16-2004, 12:06 PM

I can't believe the hysteria being created by the media and doctors over this. You would think there is an epidemic (sp) going on. Nobody is asking why there is a shortage, ie contaminated vaccines or even questioning that whole side of it. Is no one worried that there is a possibility of contaminated vaccines being given to people, children included. Talk about herd immunity, this a mass hysteria herd mentality. Sigh, they can all have me and my families vax if they want, contaminated and all.
#8 of 9 Old 10-16-2004, 12:18 PM

I'm not fully anti-vax but this hysteria is absurd. Am I high or was it just a few years ago that the flu was not considered a big deal? It's this flu vax panic that's really made me start to question all those vaccines I thought my kids "had" to get when they were babies. They never got their 4-6 year old boosters and I've decided they won't be getting any of them (or any of the new stuff like PPV, flu, chicken pox, etc) except for a regular tetanus shot.

Ridiculous.
#9 of 9 Old 10-17-2004, 06:57 AM

I don't even live in the States right now and even we get a bit of the hysteria connected with the flu shot. It is mandatory for DH to get it (military) but I refuse to fall victim to fear and give it to my kids!

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page