"Immune deficiency condition" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 12-20-2004, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm reading about the rubella vaccination (trying to take them one at a time with dh) and one of the things written was "The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of rubella vaccine. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:

Immune deficiency condition (or family history of)—Condition may increase the chance and severity of side effects of the vaccine and/or may decrease the useful effects of the vaccine."

Does anyone know what they mean by "Immune deficiency condition"? Do you think that means a family history of any autoimmune disease or does it mean something like cancer or does it mean something else? What diseases/conditions might be included?

Also, can someone help me find a drug company vaccine sheet which talks about rubella all by itself? I don't care about the reactions of the measles or mumps parts (at least not yet) - I'm just curious about the rubella, if we separate it into three shots.

I think I found my answer to that question. For anyone else who might be interested: from Merck - Meruvax® II (Rubella) - http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...uvax_ii_pi.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-20-2004, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraohc
Immune deficiency condition (or family history of)

Means any immune deficience as any form of arthritis, lupus, rheumatism, asthma, allergies, gosh there are so many and I can't think right now, but just any that fall under the auto immune category.

But since they have now realized that cancer, heart disease, Alzheimers are also due to immune deficiency, I would think those would be included.

I don't know if anyone makes just rubella. But someone else will come on and tell you if there is such a vaccine. We don't vaccinate at all, so I am not that familiar with each vaccine.

OT: I do want to tell you that if you have a dd and she gets the rubella vaccine, by the time she is in the reproductive age it will have worn off and she'll be once again vulnerable to rubella. Of course she would have to be exposed at just the right time... well, that's a long way off.

Merk is probably the worst Pharmaceutical company there is. I would be very leary with any medicine from them. The next is Smith/Glaxco/Klein (sp?)
#3 of 5 Old 12-20-2004, 06:15 PM

Check availability before you decide you are going to separate them. Last time I was aware (which has been a long time) not all the monovalents were available.

Immune deficiency condition means something like SCID, but there are lots of different types of syndromes/conditions.
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/pid.htm

Also things like AIDS, having no spleen, taking immunosuppressive medications etc would be things you'd consider.

#4 of 5 Old 12-21-2004, 10:45 AM

BTW, my DD was vaccinated til age 4 (she is 7yo now so that is all the MMR doses-and we no longer vax) but last February she had everysymptom of rubella-which is a mild disease anyway. But being she is vaccinated the Docs called it a "scar;etina type rash". No lie.
#5 of 5 Old 12-23-2004, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
Means any immune deficience as any form of arthritis, lupus, rheumatism, asthma, allergies, gosh there are so many and I can't think right now, but just any that fall under the auto immune category.

But since they have now realized that cancer, heart disease, Alzheimers are also due to immune deficiency, I would think those would be included.
Autoimmunes... there's also MS, graves and hashimoto's thyroid diseases, ulcerative colitis, crohn's, a certain type of kidney disease, and possibly type I diabetes and PCOS. I think the jury's still out on fibromyalgia, CFS, and other related ones.

Somewhere, I have 'Living Well with Autoimmune Disease' by Mary Shomon (great book!), which lists about a ton of them. :-/ These are just the common ones in our families.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page