risks for unvaccinated children? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 12-21-2004, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Wise mamas

I have an unvaccinated three and a half year old. I do not plan on any vaccinations.

I have just heard that non-vaccinated children are at risk from recently vaccinated children. Can anyone shed any light on this for me:

Is it true?
What are the risks?
If it is true, how long should one be cautious for after the playmates have received a vaccination?

namaste
Rachelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-21-2004, 02:51 PM

Well, children can come down with some symptoms after being vaxinated, because they're being injected with whatever desease they're being vaxinated from. I know many mamas have seen children who were recently vaxed against chicken pox and the kid came down with a mild case of chicken pox just from getting vaxed. But I don't know how long you should "stay away" from those kids. I mean, you could come into contact with them and never even know that they were just vaxed, so I don't know if there's really anything you can do about it.

Single mom of 2 boys
#3 of 5 Old 12-21-2004, 03:28 PM

Generally, you only need to worry about kids who have been injected with a live virus vaccine. I don't know much about the others, but I can share with you what I know about the varicella vaccine (chicken pox).

It is possible for a child to come down with a mild case of chicken pox after receiving the varicella vaccine. It is also possible for the chicken pox to be transmitted to others who come into contact. There is an incubation period of 7-10 after which the disease may develop and be passed to others. The disease has usually run its course by 20 days after vaccination. So, if you don't want your child to contract varicella, it would be wise to avoid children who have been vaccinated during the day 7- day 20 period.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

#4 of 5 Old 12-21-2004, 10:13 PM

Ironic, isn't it?
The parents that vax say that our kids are a danger to theirs....
#5 of 5 Old 12-22-2004, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofstrauss
I have just heard that non-vaccinated children are at risk from recently vaccinated children.
That is true from the vaccines that have live viruses in them, such as CP, MMR, oral Polio. I think that's all of them.

But those vaccines are not given till the child is 18 months and if your child at the time is over 3 yrs. old, it may be a good oportunity for him to get the natural disease from his play mate.

Now, if your child gets measles from a vaccinated child, your child's measles will be recognized by his body exactly the same as wild measles.
Because in him the viruses take a different route than from the vaccine.

And his immunity will be the same as though he had gotten it any other way. In othe words, life long core immunity.

While the vaccinated child will only have surface antigens and antibodies and they will be waning at best.

Kids vaccined with any live virus vaccines are contagious for the exact same time as the natural disease would be contagious.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page