Am I too late? - Mothering Forums
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 9 Old 04-14-2005, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
rachelp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
Hoping to glean from the wealth of knowledge here. I have an 11 mo ds who has been vax'd thus far. I've been trying to find out exactly what he has been given, but have been given the runaround lately ("please drop off a request form and we will put a sheet in your file to be picked up tomorrow", then the sheet isn't there, etc). I am planning on marching into the vaccination clinic tomorrow with my son's file and not leaving until I get the info. Anyhow, ashamed to say that I don't know this...I was unaware until about a month ago that it was even possible to not vaccinate. My problem is this: my husband is military and I know that it's possible to not vaccinate, but would also be a big battle and could lead to them denying us command sponsorship (not an option for us). I have been advised to at least try to delay, etc. I know there is a thread about delaying/selecting, but didn't know if it was something I could do since we've already had some. I do want to fight the battle, but need some advice. Do I just nod a smile and then not take him for the vax's? Do we need any of them? Here's my biggest concern about spacing them out: the vaccination clinic is very strict about their policies (won't let me nurse, must all be done at the same time -- if they do three shots there are three nurses with three syringes that synchronize, etc), and I don't trust that they will only do what I want done. Is this crazy? Also, they have told me that they will need to do a blood draw at his 12 month vax's. Should I do this? If so, how do I get away with only doing the blood draw and not the shots?
I am going to go order the "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You" book...I have a month to finish figuring this out. Any help would be appreciated...I feel strongly about this, but I don't know how to go about it irl.
Thanks so much,
Rachel
rachelp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 9 Old 04-14-2005, 09:58 PM
 
gilnikche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: C.H.A.O.S.
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I am going to go order the "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You" book...I have a month to finish figuring this out.
Rachel,

I quoted the above just to point out that you certainly do have more than a month to make a decision. This is your child, your decision. Vaccination is not emergency medicine. Take your time.

I used to be a military nurse and have seen firsthand what you described. It is all for the sake of efficiency. But boy can can it be intimidating!

I still remember being totally stunned by a military nurse grabbing my arm then pinning it between her arm and body just to take my blood pressure.



BTW, do you have to go to a military clinic? I remember that many dependents went to civilian docs that were paid by the military (contracted).
gilnikche is offline  
#3 of 9 Old 04-14-2005, 10:24 PM
 
Rainbow Brite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Snuggled with dd
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think it's ever too late to learn- about any topic

I have that book- I found it to be a great starting resource, but had to really research more to find out what was best for us. But it gave some great info, w/out saying what you should or shouldn't do.
Rainbow Brite is offline  
 
#4 of 9 Old 04-14-2005, 10:26 PM
 
Rainbow Brite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Snuggled with dd
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree about having more than a month. At our 2 month appt, we said we were not vaxxing till we researched more. We aren't vaxxing. Simply b/c it's a wbc, didn't mean we had to decide right then.
Rainbow Brite is offline  
#5 of 9 Old 04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
 
Tummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In her daddys eyes
Posts: 3,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blood drawn at 12 mo shots??
Really, why, I have never heard of this.
Tummy is offline  
#6 of 9 Old 04-14-2005, 10:47 PM
 
broodymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Watching the rain
Posts: 7,290
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rachel - just wanted to let you know that my DH is military and we get care at medical on base and I haven't had any problem with not vaxing DS. I've just been firm in my decision and there have been no problems. Good luck! and welcome to MDC!

Chaotic 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 mama to 6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
broodymama is offline  
#7 of 9 Old 04-14-2005, 10:49 PM
 
midstreammama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Crazytown... Population: 6
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the 12mo blood draw may be for the lead-level screening.

And I also agree that you have more than a month to decide. Think about it, you can always decide to give dc the shots, but you can never take them away once they are done.

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
midstreammama is offline  
#8 of 9 Old 04-15-2005, 06:56 AM
 
Julia R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The 12 mo. blood draw is for lead.

I had a military doc give me a hard time about not being current with vaxes. DD was there for a respiratory problem and ear infection- with fever. He still insisted it was safe to vax and didn't give me much other option. So, I compromised, saying that I wanted to spread them out and only give the DTaP or the MMR that day and not the Hep B at all. They ended up giving the wrong shots, which really ticked me off, but what can you do then? I'd ask to see the vial labels and verrify which vaxes your kid is getting. This Dr. also told my 17 mo. baby to "Shut up" for crying because she was freaked about his cloth face mask. So, after this I didn't take her back for any visits. She's been healthy and hasn't needed any care other than what I can giver her at home. When dealing with Tricare I wasn't able to get her scheduled into the immunization clinic anyway (they kept loosing her appts in the computer) I'd just postpone and draw out the visits as long as possible. I don't even think I would mention to a military doc about intention of not vaxing. Of course you won't be able to register DC in the CDC, maybe no loss there. How long is DH's enlistment for? Can you just try to avoid the vaxes until then? You said something about command sponsorship. Are you trying to go accompanied overseas? If so that might be more difficult. I'd try to find other oconnus mom's with different vaxing schedules and ask how it works.
Julia R is offline  
#9 of 9 Old 04-15-2005, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
 
rachelp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the responses so far...I knew I'd get some support here. =)
As far as the questions: Technically we do have the option to go to a civilian provider...lots of paperwork involved, but the bigger problem is the lack of nearby providers. I took him to one who was about 45 min-1 hour away when he was sick and all the military docs were busy...wasn't any better. He had an ear infection, but the doctor said that the bigger problem was the iron in his formula. My ds is exclusively bf'd and I had told him that twice already, but evidently that just wouldn't register in his head. There's another hospital about an hour away that is a little bigger, but I'm afraid of jumping out of the frying pan into the fire if there aren't any better docs there. I will look into it if it turns out that we're staying here longer.
I know that they check for lead in the blood draw, but I think it's mainly just for count. There's been a huge jump in kids being put on iron supplements after their 12 mo wbc here. They mentioned the lead as an afterthought. I was told that they check for lead because base housing is old, but we've never lived in base housing, so I don't think that's an issue. My problem is that I don't know how to get a straight answer if I ask about it. Can anyone think of any reason that this would be important?
I have no intention of registering at the CDC. And we plan on homeschooling, so that won't be a problem. But if we do get orders overseas, I'm not sure what that will do to us. DH has 18 years in...if we got out at 20, none of this would be an issue, but that decision hasn't been made yet. I guess my comment about having a month was really more about having a month to convice dh, and I'm hoping the book will help with that since he's really a show-me-the-facts kind of guy. He's said that we can discuss it, which is a step in the right direction.
Thanks for the advice...I really appreciate it all.
Rachel
rachelp is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 3,069

9 members and 3,060 guests
AlanMcLean , bugmenot , fljen , holskipy9 , hoyebiba5 , KerriB , lmaraial57 , RhiannonRain
Most users ever online was 21,860, 06-22-2018 at 09:45 PM.