Recently vaxed child exposed to non-vax children - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 05-24-2005, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi- I am a co-facilitator of our local Familes for Natural Living group. At our very first meeting today one of the mothers brought their child who had been vaccinated today. The group is pretty 50/50 split on kids who are/aren't vaxed. We were also pretty split on what risk this posed to the other children. The group as a whole seemed to feel that because he was a baby and in mom's arms the whole time and therefore not touching toys or interacting with the children that they were not in harms way. I had thought that children could not "catch" the disease in question by being around children who had been recently vaxed. This was, as you can imagine, a pretty hot issue with the vaxing mom feeling embarassed and the non-vaxing mom's feeling somewhat concerned So, you vax-wise mama's... What's the verdict on the risk here?? I am sure that there is a thread on this but I can't seem to find one, I am not good at archiving searching! Thanks!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 PM

I get the impression you're talking about a baby under a year old. Babies that young don't get live virus vaccines in the first place but even if it were an older kid who got a live vaccine I think exposure that same day is probably a bit too early to be shedding. Besides, people just carry germs. Why be any more concerned about that particular kid's germs than the things anyone else might be carrying?
#3 of 8 Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should have clarified that the baby will be 1 on June 1st. He didn't recieve a typical "on schedule" 12 month dose but he did get DTaP and at least one other. He slept in mom's arms the whole time. THe other children were playing in another room. that opened onto the room we were in.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

#4 of 8 Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
https://mothering.com/discussions/sho...rgent+question

Like amnesiac said, the DTaP has no live virus and so can not shed.

But the CDC also claim the MMR does not shed, yet moms tell us repeatedly that their
unvaccinated child got measles from a newly MMR vaccinated child. And the vaccinee often times do get Koplik Spots, which indicates that the virus is active.

The Chickenpox vaccine is definitely a vaccine that sheds and can also cause shingles in an older person.

But what is the concern?
First of all, the child was in the moms arms and not chewing on toys. Secondly, most kids are in contact with newly vaccinated people inadvertently quite often.
And third, why worry about pathogens that are all around us and ultimately serve to give your child a strong immune system.

The best protection is of course breast milk. The mother creates antibodies as soon as the child comes in contact with any virus and will feed them back to the child. Once the child no longer nurses, an average-healthy child is able to defend himself against most (if not all) pathogens.

Tell all the moms not to worry.

#5 of 8 Old 05-26-2005, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks We have had some more discussion about this issue on our e-group. I think that one of the mom's felt strongly and the other two were pretty unconcerned. With your permission, I would like to share most of your reply with our little group (6). Thanks!

#6 of 8 Old 05-26-2005, 01:13 AM

Location: hunting the wild aebelskiever in the Islets of Langerhans
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
I, for one, am finally happy to see everyone at least thinking about this issue.

: they are answered.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, anaphylaxis, asthma, autoimmune disease, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, fibromyalgia, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, Dravet's Syndrome, Retts Syndrome, Sweet's Syndrome, Hughes Syndrome, encephalitis, speech delay, tics, neurological damage, coma, ADEM, ADHD, AFP, ASIA, CFS, CRPS, GBS, ITP, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, OMS, ORS, PANDAS, PANS, PINTANDS, POF, POTS, RA, SIDS, SJS, SLE, SPD, SUDS, TPI, the disease one is being vaccinated against, or death."

Paraphrased from "Forrest Gump".

List from the drug companies' own package inserts that come with their product as required by law.
#7 of 8 Old 05-26-2005, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery
What's the verdict on the risk here??
My completely unscientific opinion on this is...You're mostly *not* going to know the vax status of kids on the playground or at school or at birthday parties or in all the other activities they will join. Your kids will likely come into contact with dozens of recently-vaxed kids and you will never know it. I don't worry about the vaxed kids I do know about--unless you're willing to live in a bubble, your kids are going to be exposed to all sorts of things.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#8 of 8 Old 05-28-2005, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

So the question for us becomes... how do we regulate this? Here we are, gathering as a group twice a month or more. Most of us have little kids and those that do vax will be doing so every three months or so. Do we ask the vaxers not to come? If so, on what time frame, 3 days, 7 days?? My co-facilitator and I are thinking we will just ask that people "make other's aware of recent vaccines." and let the non-vaxers choose to opt out if they are concerned. More than half of our group does vax and of those that don't, only one was really concerned about "catching" something. The other's took a more "we can't protect our kids from everything" attitude. This is very touchy because we don't want to offend anyone but we don't have anything to base a rule on either, KWIM??

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page