Chicken Pox and older children - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have four kids, ages 6, 8, 10, and 13, who have not had chicken pox. They have not been vaxed for it, and I really would rather not, but I am concerned about the older one(s) getting chicken pox. My 10yo had a strange rash that the doc thought might be shingles, so she was tested for CP antibodies, but she has none. (They never did figure out what the rash really was.) I'd like to hear how others have dealt with older children who don't have immunity.

Cheri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hmm..all I know is that most kids who never "had" the cp actually show antibodies when tested. You might want to get them checked. There's a good chance they actually caught it a few times but it was so mild it never "showed".
#3 of 6 Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had them at 14 with no probs, so did half of my 8th grade class. We all caught them at graduation. I'd wait until senior year to start worring, and maybe start looking for chicken pox parties in the mean time.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :

#4 of 6 Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM

I was 17, my sister 14 and my brother 11 when we got them. No biggie. This was before the vax, of course, so there was nothing to "do" really, if your kids didn't catch them while young. It wasn't an issue.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#5 of 6 Old 07-20-2005, 02:14 PM

In a study done in Quebec,out of 1000 children age 10 who had not been vaccinated for chicken pox and had never shown signs of the disease - 60% had the antibodies. This can be true for any of the diseases. Before vaccinating your older child check to make sure they don't have the antibodies already.
Good luck
Mummymary
#6 of 6 Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

My 10yo was tested for CP antibodies a couple of months ago. She has no CP antibodies. I am most worried about my 13yo, who is lurching through puberty. If I take her in to be tested, I am going to face serious pressure get her vaxed if the result is also negative. While I really hoped that rash my 10yo had was *not* shingles, I did hope she would show immunity to CP.

A non/late vaxing friend whose kids recently had CP told me it was really awful for her 9yo, and she would vax rather than going through that, if she could turn back the clock. I completely realize that vaxing wouldn't guarantee anything, either. Thanks for letting me think "out loud."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page