? for Military families - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If we chose to either not vaccinate or delay can tricare refuse treatment for us all together.
I just had my first child 2 weeks ago and we delayed the hep b and we got out of the hospital without it but just barely. We delivered at a civilian hospital since the base clinic is just a clinic and not equipped to handle deliveries, however when they found out we were military and our insurance was tricare they said they had an "agreement" with tricare to administer the hep b vacc at birth and if we refused we would need a letter from our commander. Well, we got discharged on a sunday and it ended up slipping through the cracks so we didn't end up getting the shot or the letter but I am concerned about the 2 month check up which will all be done on base.
Can Tricare refuse medical treatment for our daughter if we don't follow the CDC schedule? Is there actually a reg somewhere that states this. I can see the military mandating things for my DH since he is AD but I didn't join and neither did our DD.
I just want to know what I am up against. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-26-2006, 07:26 PM

bull hockey!: we had ds in a military hospital and refused everything. of course they tried to tell us that we HAD to do it biy i just ignored them. i would not worry about.

Getting back into the groove of being groovy!
#3 of 4 Old 06-26-2006, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
NO, that is absolutely a lie. For one thing, your DH's commanding officer has no business knowing about the medical decisions you make for your child. You should really, really complain to someone in charge at the hospital. Not only did they lie to you, but they were threatening you. You didn't "slip through the cracks", they had to let you go because they were telling a lie. They just pretended they forgot about it.

Tricare could never have any kind of agreement with a hospital about what medical procedures will be performed on YOUR child. That's such a load of crap I can't even believe they told you that. YOU make medical decisions for your child, not Tricare.

We are a military family. Lots of military families have been bullied by base pediatricians. We haven't had much of a problem, but you should be prepared for the two month check up. It probably won't be an issue, but if it is, YOU ARE THE PARENT! Do not let them bully you, threaten you, or anything else. And if they do, report them to the clinic CO. I am not joking about that. If you take her in for your DD's two month, and they threaten you with CPS, say you need a letter from your CO, say Tricare won't provide coverage, or ANYTHING even remotely out of line, tell them, "We are going to complain to your CO because you are harrassing us." That will shut them up really fast. Their CO will be on your side, because the doctor will be wrong. TRUST ME on that. Don't take sh*t from any base doctor. If one harrasses you, and you don't complain, you will be complicit. You will be allowing them to continue harrassing yourself and other parents. Don't be afraid of them and don't put up with it.

I doubt you'll have a problem, but I really like to scream that from the top of my lungs, because so many military families live in fear that base doctors are going to report them for neglect or something stupid like that. And the thing is, if they're threatening you, and you allow it to continue, they might really do it. But if you follow up with the CO immediately after they pull some stupid BS like that, they won't be able to do it. For one thing, the CO will be all over them about being idiots. And for another thing, it will be on record that they harrassed you and tried to intimidate you, so it will be obvious they're only trying to exact revenge if they try to have you investigated.

#4 of 4 Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 PM

You and your children are civilians and are therefore protected by civilian law in this situation. You and your children can refuse any and all vaxes and it will have no impact on your husband's military career.

Single mom to 3 boys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page