building immunity and vaxing in apt. building - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi!

i'm looking for immunity boosting strategies for my 8 month old for the coming cold season...can she have any vitamin C, or any other herb or vitamin supplements? she's pretty much exclusively bfed.

we also just moved into an apt. building, in pretty close quarters. should i be concerned about germs in the building? i have no way of knowing who's sick or with what...

tia!

kelly

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-21-2006, 02:05 PM

I wouldn't worry about the apartment really.

Vitamin c is good- sodium ascorbate.

-Angela
#3 of 9 Old 08-21-2006, 02:09 PM
EVC

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna

Vitamin c is good- sodium ascorbate.

-Angela
While we're on the subject--any advice on dose and method of getting it in the baby? Dd will be in daycare a few hours a week, so I want to start getting her ready.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)

#4 of 9 Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM

Are you exclusively breastfeeding? (that's what it seems from your sig, but some people don't update their siggies very often... )

Your milk is a great support for her- you're exposed to the same germs, so the antibodies you make will pass to her, as well.
If you take vitamin C yourself, I think it does boost the C content of your milk.

Until I saw your DD's age, I was going to suggest probiotic foods. I have been reading lately about how the health of the gut can have a direct effect on immune function. I was really enjoying kefir last winter, and noticed that everyone around us was getting sick while our family, especially myself who drank the most kefir, was staying healthy.
Then we ran out for a few weeks (we get it in bulk from a buying club) and I got a cold! DS, who was nursing exclusively then, also got a stuffy/runny nose- which is of course a big pain for a little guy who wants to nurse

(edited to clarify bad grammar )

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#5 of 9 Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
During Dr. Neustaedter's chat last week, he did mention that Vit C only gets passed in breastmilk in modest amounts. So I would supplement with Vit C for baby and make sure YOU are taking a really good vitamin and fish oil supplement, as this does go down through milk.

Hylands Vit C are what I found, didn't know if anyone else had tried these??

Beth

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#6 of 9 Old 08-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

http://www.mamadearest.ca/en/info/newman/protects.htm
Quote:
Because the mother makes antibodies only to pathogens in her environment, the baby receives the protection it most needs-against the infectious agents it is most likely to encounter
The article goes on to say "two weeks of life", but it is actually ongoing throughout the breastfeeding relationship.
#7 of 9 Old 10-01-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

i am still bfing, although dd takes a little solid food now...when can she have kefir? i hadn't even thought of that!

mountain loving, nursing, homebirthing mama to beany (12.05), zoomy (4.09), and one more in january.
#8 of 9 Old 10-02-2006, 11:50 AM

We mostly followed the advice of no cow's milk (or other animal milk) until 12 months old, except for little bits of yogurt or kefir once in a while. DS is now 15 months, and loves kefir. We try to get the organic, whole milk kind. I've heard it's not hard to make, I just haven't gotten around to tracking down the stuff to do so.

I would think that if she's still primarily breastfeeding, that is providing the best fuel for good immune function: not just good gut bugs, but also your immune reaction to your specific environment.

Here's an article I found at kellymom-

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...pplements.html

I chopped this quote down to leave out cheese details (and a warning about milk allergies!) to make it short enough to comply with the UA:

"Yogurt and cheese
Some experts consider yogurt and cheese to be okay for most babies after 6 months. Others prefer waiting until 9-12 months. <snip> The main difference between yogurt and milk is that the lactose in yogurt has been converted into lactic acid."

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#9 of 9 Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
she's pretty much exclusively bfed.
Than it is best if you take care of yourself the best way possible. Eat healthy and your child will benefit. I don't think you should be giving your 8 mo old any vitamines unless she is sick. JMO

Quote:
we also just moved into an apt. building, in pretty close quarters. should i be concerned about germs in the building? i have no way of knowing who's sick or with what...
Germs are everywhere including her own body. we can not be concerned with germs only with maintaining health. Make sure she gets fresh air every day no matter how cold it is outside. Don't keep your apt. too warm. Air out the house every day for 5 minutes while she is in a warmer room. Give her plenty of fresh things and lots of love.

Do not worry about who is sick. She will always be in contact with sick people no matter how hard you try to avoid that. Her own immunity will actually benefit from it and will make her all the stronger.

That is how we build immunity. We are in contact with sick people, our body reacts and build immunity. Next time we come in contact with that same virus etc, our body has the defences all built in and we don't even know that we are being protected.

The more we come in contact with disease, the better the body get in protecting. At best it can protect a person against everything including cancer.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page