The school lied (nursing school) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 10-13-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been in a nursing program for the last year. I start clinicals in about six weeks. During the whole program we have been reminded/hounded time and time again that to do our clinicals, we need to have a current two step PPD test, Tetanus vax, mmr (or titers), chicken pox (or proof of immunity), and the Hep B series (with no waiver offered for that one). Yesterday I finally get the paperwork to fill out for clinicals. All that it asks for is the PPD test, mmr, and Hep B. Plus there is a big fat waiver for the Hep B stapled right to the back. :

So the point to this story. Is for everyone here who is in nursing school and panicking about clinicals. To actually read the paperwork yourself (seems so obvious, I wonder why I didn't do it sooner). Don't start freaking out just based on what the school tells you, they might be misinformed or lying. Maybe it will end up being the same deal for you. Now I can finally take a deep breath and stop worrying about trying to get an exemption together since I've already done the PPD, I've had chicken pox, mmr titers are easy to get, and I can just fill out the Hep B waiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-13-2006, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's great.

What's a PPD test?
#3 of 6 Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What's a PPD test?
It's the tb test

#4 of 6 Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM

Oh.

I need more sleep, I couldn't think of anything but Post Partum Depression test.
#5 of 6 Old 10-13-2006, 04:32 PM

Thanks for saying that. I did get the hep b series when I started nursing school, but I was not aware of ANYTHING back then, 18 right out of high school. Now, I know better and am glad you've mentioned it. I was also told that I'd need my vax records to get a job. The only thing that has anything to do with vaxes and being hired is that you're given a slip to accept or decline the hep b series and most places require the two-step tb at the beginning and single once a year.
#6 of 6 Old 10-14-2006, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

To top it all off, they're not even checking the actual vax records. You just fill out a paper that asks you when you received your last mmr and hep b vax. So really, the titers wouldn't have even necessary if you planned on lying anyways.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page