Info on Typhoid, Malaria, Dengue, etc?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 06-27-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking into info on vaxes that aren't the common childhood vaxes. Although I chose not to vax my 2 yo dd, my 13 yo ds (who was vaxed because I wasn't informed) is going on a missions trip and I know that the area he will be in is specifically at risk for Malaria, Dengue Fever, and Typhoid. I never researched these since they aren't in your typical vax protocol. We have a friend who got typhoid in this area and almost died, so that brings things petty close to home. We also have another friend who had Malaria and WANTED to die, but lived. I want to be informed on the diseases and the vaxes. Does anyone know where I can find info on these? Most of my searches turn up stuff from the CDC or other like minded stuff. I don't mind reading their stuff, but I like both sides so I can decide for myself the best course of action.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-27-2007, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
There isn't a malaria vaccine yet. There's a preventive medication you can take, though. No Dengue vaccine yet, either.
There is a typhoid vaccine, but I don't know anything about it.
#3 of 11 Old 06-27-2007, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just searched Pubmed for autoimmune disorders and typhoid vaccine. I got this:

Quote:
IgM rheumatoid factors became transitory positive in a significant proportion. IgG rheumatoid factors demonstrated a two-phase increase, more evident after the second dose of vaccine. We can conclude, mainly for the latest parameter, that these results reveal an autoimmune serological response, even quantitatively modest, concomitant to the specific sensitization resulting from vaccination.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum That was for tetanus and typhoid given at the same time, though.

But I'm not sure how much of a concern that is, since:

Quote:
The presence of IgM RFs has been reported in as much as 10% of the normal population. Statistically, patients with rheumatoid arthritis who have high titer rheumatoid factor are more likely to have severe disease and systemic involvement than other patients. Rheumatoid factor can be detected in synovial fluid, pleural fluid, and pericardial fluid, but contributes little more than a positive serum test. Some rheumatoid factors may behave as cryoglobulins.
(Emphasis mine)
http://www.labcorp.com/datasets/labc...o/se024700.htm

I've not specifically looked into that, but you may be interested in doing so.

My husband is military and got one of the typhoid vaccines (I don't recall which one) a couple years ago. He seems fine, although anecdote doesn't help much, I'm sure.

#4 of 11 Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There isn't a malaria vaccine yet. There's a preventive medication you can take, though.
Yeah, but I have heard that the medication is pretty nasty, but that was just word of mouth with no real info so I wanted to look it up and get some facts.
#5 of 11 Old 06-28-2007, 11:38 AM

Dengue and Malaria - the best defense is to keep mosquitoes from biting. Cover up as much as possible, don't be outside at dawn/dusk, etc. Dengue fever is a yucky illness and not fun to have, however, the first time you get it, it is generally not life threatening. My parents both had it - got it in Laos - and said it caused depression for many months afterword. But if you have had it once, than your son would need to be VERY careful not to get it again. That said, I haven't read anything about the affects of sodium ascorbate and other things on these diseases. There are no preventative meds of any kind for Dengue.

Malaria depends on the strain and how prevelent it is. Some strains aren't too bad, but other ones stay with you a long time. There is a preventative pill that your son would take while on the trip. However, it can have VERY nasty side affects. I actually opted to take it back in graduate school (I was going to very rural areas to collect plants). I wish I hadn't actually, because I felt woosy and sick the whole trip. I have heard other people tell me that they had horrid nightmares/visions/crazy brain expiriences with these drugs. Many travel destinations outside the USA say malaria meds are needed but depending on where your son is going and what kind of area he is going to be in, I would make decisions based on that.

I don't know anything about typhoid.

Di

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
#6 of 11 Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
I had the typhoid vaccination once and I honestly thought I was going to die afterwards. I collapsed on the floor and couldn't move for the rest of the day. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, let alone a child.

I am Rhome
#7 of 11 Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Yeah, the preventive malaria meds are pretty bad. But the risk/benefit ratio depends on the specific area you're going into. I'd do everything Di said, and use the heck out of the most hard core OFF available. (I normally don't use that stuff at all, but malaria changes things.)
#8 of 11 Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM

Have you looked into Sodium Ascorbate?

Thomas Levy's book, Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases,& and Toxins might be of interest to you.
#9 of 11 Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM

For Dengue, as others have said, there is no vax. Here's some mosquito prevention ideas from MD Travel Health:

Wear long sleeves, long pants, hats and shoes (rather than sandals). For rural and forested areas, boots are preferable, with pants tucked in, to prevent tick bites. Apply insect repellents containing 20-35% DEET (N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide) or 20% picaridin (Bayrepel) to exposed skin (but not to the eyes, mouth, or open wounds). DEET may also be applied to clothing. Products with a lower concentration of either repellent need to be repplied more frequently. Products with a higher concentration of DEET carry an increased risk of neurologic toxicity, especially in children, without any additional benefit. Do not use either DEET or picaridin on children less than two years of age. For additional protection, apply permethrin-containing compounds to clothing, shoes, and bed nets. Permethrin-treated clothing appears to have little toxicity. Don't sleep with the window open unless there is a screen. If sleeping outdoors or in an accomodation that allows entry of mosquitoes, use a bed net, preferably impregnated with insect repellent, with edges tucked in under the mattress. The mesh size should be less than 1.5 mm. If the sleeping area is not otherwise protected, use a mosquito coil, which fills the room with insecticide through the night. In rural or forested areas, perform a thorough tick check at the end of each day with the assistance of a friend or a full-length mirror. Ticks should be removed with tweezers, grasping the tick by the head. Many tick-borne illnesses can be prevented by prompt tick removal.

Here's some info on the typhoid vax:

- From the MayoClinic.Com: Typhoid Vaccine
- From Consumer Reports Medical Guide: Typhoid Vaccine - drug review
- Label info for Typhim, one of the vaxes
- From the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases (2004; 38:771-9): Postmarketing survey surveillance for typhoid fever vaccines from the Vaccine Adverse Effect Reporting System, July 1990 through June 2002

As for malaria, again, as other said, no vax. But there are drugs. These include mefloquine (Lariam), atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone), or doxycycline.

Here's a good overview of the possible drugs from MDTravel Health.

Mefloquine (Lariam) has a bad rep for its potential neuropsychological effects. Personally, I would not take it for that reason. There is also a long list of contraindications. You shouldn't take Lariam if you have a history of psychiatric illness (inclulding depression), seizures, or heart conduction problems.

Malarone is a newer drug with much more mild possible adverse effects. Here's a link to the prescribing info: clicky!
Here's some info on Malarone from TravelHealthUK.Com

Doxycycline is an effective anti-malarial drug. The one big problem with it is that it can cause sun sensitivity, resulting in bad sunburns. So if you are in a very sunny spot, this may be a hard drug to take. Here;s the FDA FAQ page on doxy: clicky! and from Drugs.Com.

HTH.
#10 of 11 Old 06-28-2007, 04:21 PM

Typhoid: Only for kids 5 and up, and presumably, that means of average size for a five-year-old and good health. I've had the vaccine three or four times (including once as a 16-year-old girl, 110 lbs, probably not much bigger than your son?) and had absolutely no reaction. I am very glad that I had the vaccine since typhoid is a huge problem here and four members of my in-laws have been hospitalized with it, but I've never had it. It's very easy to get typhoid from things like vegetables washed in the water supply etc. is the thing, and on a mission trip, it can be very hard to refuse the local food when they offer it. I know that from personal experience. If your son will be working, will he have access to PROPERLY boiled, filtered well water in whatever amounts he needs? He won't be tempted, not once, to take a swig from the well unfiltered?

Typhoid can be very serious and it is very common. I would speak with your son and doctor about it, but wouldn't rule it out right off the bat.

Malaria: An insecticide-treated (IT MUST BE TREATED) mosquito net and keeping covered is the best prevention method for malaria. I too have always been afraid to take the pills because some people (including some I know) have very bad reactions. Reactions can include screaming-in-your-sleep nightmares, paranoia, and other psychological problems. I only know one person who took them "successfully".

Also, mosquito biting times are very specific, so generally, if you are in a structured environment that allows you to stay under a mosquito net and well-covered during biting times, there's no need to spray insecticide directly on your body. DEET makes me nauseous, personally.

I would agree with the previous posters that it depends on the kind of malaria that is endemic there, but I don't think I'd ever want to risk the medication. Every doctor I know says that no matter what kind of malaria you have, if you will have access to treatment, it's better not to take the medication.

Then again, I've never had malaria. I hear it's awful.

I don't know about dengue fever.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#11 of 11 Old 06-28-2007, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info! I will be looking into these things. My SIL had the typhoid shot and did fine (she grew up in the amazon jungle with her missionary parents) but I don't want to base my decision on that. Her bother did get Malaria but he also doesn't recommend the pills, either. I went down to that area a couple of years ago without the shots or pills and did ok. Of course, that didn't mean I didn't get some nasty parasite from something despite my best efforts to be super careful.

My son is going to a different place, so I just know the risks based on what I have read on the net. He will have access to bottled water and since the majority of the group is youth, they are planning to be very careful. Of course, I know all too well that things can still happen. I hate insect repellent, but I can see the value in cases such as this! So, I will discuss all of this with him and make sure he understands the reasons why he needs to take these precautions (you know, being a teenage boy and all...).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page