Tetanus vaccine/immunoglobulin for diabetic? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I've been learning a great deal about tetanus, and now feel good about just cleaning any wound my children or I get, because we have good circulation and aren't at risk for tetanus.

But what about my diabetic husband, whose circulation is compromised? On the one hand, I worry about tetanus: on the other hand, I worry about his body having to deal with the vaccine/immunoglobulin and any complications that might ensue from that.

Susan -- married WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005), who started out unschooling and have now embarked on the public school adventure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-28-2007, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is sensation intact in his feet and hands?

If not, I would worry about getting a puncture wound that could go unnoticed. While tetanus can occur with other types of injuries (or, in rare cases, with no known injury), puncture wounds are the classic set-up for tetanus. If the sensation to his feet is poor, for example, he could get a serious puncture wound without noticing it and thus not treat it properly. That, in combination with poor circulation and decreased wound healing would make tetanus, a disease I usually don't find too worrisome in younger people, a genuine concern. JMO, of course.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page