Which best describes your vaxed or unvaxed child? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Which best describes your child/children?
Unvaxed with no or insignificant health issues 122 49.80%
Unvaxed and has asthma, allergies and/or eczema 15 6.12%
Unvaxed and autistic or on the spectrum, or behavioral or learning issues 3 1.22%
Unvaxed with multiple health issues 0 0%
Vaxed with no or insignificant health issues 67 27.35%
Vaxed and has asthma, allergies and/or eczema 14 5.71%
Vaxed and autistic or on the spectrum, or behavioral or learning issues 4 1.63%
Vaxed with multiple health issues 3 1.22%
Other 17 6.94%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am curious to see if there is a difference between the health status of vaxed and unvaxed children, at least amongst MDC'ers children. Nothing scientific here, just curious. I realize that most of us here are nonvaxers so this will not reveal a whole lot, but I thought it would be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:07 AM

My first child was partially vaxed, b/c I did not know any better. He gets sick waaaay more often than my non-vaxed younger child. HOWEVER, my non-vaxed younger child is also still BFing... so I am not sure how much of a factor that plays into the whole thing.
#3 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:12 AM

is there supposed to be a poll with this?

my daughter is almost three, completely unvaxed and has literally never been sick a day in her life except for two separate rounds of a stomach bug that the whole family got. she has never even had a cold.

compare this to her vaxed cousins with eczema, constant colds/flu/ear infections, etc. etc.

ETA: she is also nursing on a regular basis

#4 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:13 AM

my non-vaxed 27-month-old is generally healthy. she caught roseola at daycare and has had pink eye twice and 2 ear infections. She gets the standard "daycare runny nose" everytime she goes back after a prolonged absence, but I think she's had better-than-average health.

My 4-month-old non-vaxed son has had no issues at all (and he goes to daycare, too) but he is still nursing.
#5 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:13 AM

We're selectively vaxing and she has no health problems whatsoever.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#6 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:25 AM

I have 2 kids but it only let me vote on one choice.

I chose Vaxed but has autism or is on the spectrum. He hasn't received a vax since 9 mos.

Additionally, we have 1 who is UNvaxed but is more sickly than her brother. Eczema and just gets sick easier and more often. I don't know why, she just does.

ETA: Due w/ another in October and that one will also be UNvaxed.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#7 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 AM

I have three and it only let me vote once...

My DS#1 is partially vaxxed, no health issues (other than his vax reaction)
DS#2 is non-vaxxed and has eczema
DD is non-vaxed and has no health issues
#8 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I only have 1 DD, but FWIW, she's completey unvaxed and has no health problems (skin included). The only illnesses she's ever had are a few colds, and every time she was around someone else in the family (usually DH or I...fully vaxed, to boot LOL) who was already sick.

Don't know if that's any contribution since I have no comparison, though.

Me (30) - DH (32) 12 years!
DD (9.5) ~ DD (7.5) ~ DS (5.5) ~ DS (2.5)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to 11 babies in Heaven
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 AM

One fully vaxed (DD 5yo), one not vaxed at all (DS 15 months). Neither have any sort of medical issues to speak of.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#10 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:42 AM

i voted other because ds did have his 2/4mo shots at 3/5mo before i was able to research and quit the vax...but as of now at 8mo he has no illness we are aware of, he's hit all milestones super early so i *hope* those shots didn't hurt...all though he did have a reaction to the 5mo dose...ferbile seziure 18 hrs. later...i pray everyday their is no damage!
#11 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wife to 
 Beast 
Mama to 
 Crash (18), 
Spritely (16), and
A-Babe (2)
#12 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:04 AM

Partially vaxed (stopped when i wised up at 9 months) and no health issues at all. Healthiest kid I know.
#13 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 AM

Both boys are completely unvaxed. Both have multiple food sensitivites and asthma. One was suspected to be on the autism spectrum but seems to have improved immensely through major dietary changes!

:
#14 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:15 AM

My first three (ages 10, 12, and 14) were vaxed because I was too scared to research (dumb, I know). My 2 year old is non-vaxed. By far, my 2 year old has had more health issues from colic to excema to CONSTANT runny noses to sleep issues. She doesn't go to day care and was breastfed until a few months ago when pregnancy issues caused her to wean. I can't explain why she's had such issues, but I can honestly say that there have been times that I have thought that I am so happy she isn't vaxed because I wonder if it would be worse then. My oldest does have allergies and asthma. I do think the asthma has a lot to do with being on way too many antibiotics when he was little because I was told that if you don't treat an ear infection with abx, they could go deaf. That ended when I began doing some of my own research.

I feel very happy that none of my older children have had any adverse reactions to the vaxes they got and my oldest actually got the whole cell DPT shot, not the DTaP (which makes me mad since we were told how safe it was). Of course, I always wonder about health issues that aren't as apparent.
#15 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
I voted other as I have one partially vaxed and two unvaxed kids and all three can be described as "with no or insignificant health issues". The only difference is my partially vaxed DD has ADD.

I am Rhome
#16 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 AM

my 2 1/2 year old son has not received any vax and is on the spectrum. other than developmental, yeast, excema issues, he has been very healthy.No ear inections, stomach flu etc.- no need for meds at any time.
#17 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:38 AM

I voted vaxed with multiple health issues. Dd was vaxed through 6 months when she started vomiting and fell off the weight chart. She did lose words around 1 yr. We finally figured out she has gastroparesis so her stomach doesn't contract as much and as forcefully as it should. This leads to vomiting, not digesting/absorbing food, and vitamin/mineral issues. I can happily say that she is improving slowly since we started pulling the mercury.
I'd like to add that while I do believe that vax (2004) weakened her system, I don't think they caused the gastroparesis as I once did. I think that the mercury caused the damage. This was probably mostly from maternal transmission in utero due to all my amalgams and vaccines with thimerosal.
#18 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:50 AM

Unvaxed for most of her life with no significant health issues. She's always been super healthy, but I attribute that more to lifestyle.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#19 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:55 AM

My mostly vaxed son has no significant health issues. He gets sick a couple times a year and gets well pretty soon after . Healthy, normal kid.
#20 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

i didn't vote

I have a almost 4yr old that is fully vaxed no problems that we know of. hardly sick other than a few colds.
I also have a partially vaxed 1 yr old *he was vaxed til his 4month appt then i started researching* so far just a few colds.

Kami~38
DH~41,Alex~17,
Ryker~14
Harlan~9

4/05,7/05,11/10
#21 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 04:30 AM

i picked other b/c i have 1 vaxed and 1 unvaxed

my vaxed had more health problems as a baby and small child w/ ear infections and bad wheezy coughy colds but has become a gradeschooler w/ no major health problems. she wasn't breastfed for veryt long though whereas he's still nursing at 21 months
#22 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 12:50 PM

Partially vaxed (selective/delayed) 10-month-old and nary a health problem so far.
#23 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Like I said, this is nothing scientific, but it's pretty clear that among the pollsters' kids, the vaxed ones have more auto-immune issues than the unvaxed. I am looking forward to a large-scale, unbiased comparison of vaxed and unvaxed kids. So far here we have 43 unvaxed totally healthy, and 6 unvaxed with some health issues, 19 vaxed totally healthy, and 11 vaxed with some health issues. I think that's about 10% of unvaxed kids, and 30% of vaxed kids.
#24 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:21 PM

other, had his first few rounds of shots before I researched (backwards I know)-he's now a type 1 diabetic. Before the diagnosis, he was so healthy compared to other fully vaxed kids in my family.
ETA: we have a huge family history of blood sugar problems, type 2, and type 1 diabetes so who knows what's to blame. We instead focus on what can cure him and how to live day to day with this disease.
#25 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 01:33 PM

I have two girls and it only allowed for one choice. I have a fully vaxed 9yrold and she has learning issue/ADDH issues. My second one is completely unvaxed and has no health issues at all, in fact she is rarely sick and when she is she gets over it very quickly.
M
#26 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I voted 'other.' DS (5.5) is fully vaxed and has asthma & allergies. DD (20 months) was partially vaxed until 6 mos. and has had none since then. She has no apparent health problems.
#27 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 02:05 PM

Other: partially vaxed and ALL health issues disappeared after we stopped vaxing.
#28 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 02:06 PM

I didn't vote because I have one unvaxed child and one partially vaxed child,a nd both are healthy.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#29 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 02:25 PM

"I am looking forward to a large-scale, unbiased comparison of vaxed and unvaxed kids. So far here we have 43 unvaxed totally healthy, and 6 unvaxed with some health issues, 19 vaxed totally healthy, and 11 vaxed with some health issues. I think that's about 10% of unvaxed kids, and 30% of vaxed kids."

But you must admit that people who gravitate to this board have had problems with vaccinations. So there is an extreme bias there.

Also here most people who haven't vaccinated have forgone vaccinations by choice, so this is far from the double-blind standard that would be required.

As for me... my DD is fully vaccinated (according to the standard of the country we live in, there's no HiB or Prevnar here) so far, no problems yet. I was also fully vaccinated, as well as my sister. We are both healthy. I have some Asperger's like traits but I do not count myself as ill. I believe that many of the Asperger's traits are just another type of temperament and should not be treated, but celebrated. So I would not count myself as having a disorder. It's our culture, which requires conformity and happiness all the time, that has a disorder.

That's my opinion.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#30 of 57 Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

izobelle, that's why I said this is nothing scientific. Yes, people may gravitate towards this board that have had issues with vaxes after the fact so there is a bias there, and also there are people who have more than one child with different status but they can only vote once. That's why I look forward to a properly done, double-blind study like the one recently proposed by a congresswoman.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page