Have you read "Whole Child, Healthy Child?" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 08-11-2007, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I picked it up because it's supposedly an example of Pediatric Integrative Medicine, and I fall somewhere between conventional and alternative medicine so I thought it would be interesting.

However, I haven't been able to get past the first real chapter about vaccines. It's horrible. Just the worst misinformation and condescending crap I've ever read. I'm so disappointed. I don't even care if the authors were pro-vaccine, they're Western trained ped's after all, and we do some vaxes on a delayed schedule, I'm not even 100% anti-vax...but their whole attitude is just LAME. I'm C&P'ing my book review from somewhere else if you're interested in the real gems, but I was just wondering if anyone else had been really disheartened by this book. Is it worth getting past this chapter even???

I apologize for the writing...I was kind of fired up last night and it was late. I just am so disgusted with the idea that any ped is going to "allow" anything...we don't HAVE to do a darn thing they say!

"Particularly distressing is the fact that the first chapter goes over "Integrative Pediatrics" and that it entails an open trusting relationship between practitioner and parent and that the two should work together in making healthcare decisions. And yet in the next breath of the vaccine chapter the authors are suddenly discussing which vaccines they will "allow" (yes, their words) parents to delay or decline. They also boast that one of them believes so strongly in vaccines that he won't even "accept" families into his practice that do not vaccinate. Also in discussing splitting the MMR they will do it "only if the parent promises to come back and get all the shots" like we ourselves are their children. The most gross example of inaccurate and incomplete information, they completely gloss over the RotaShield controversy in which at least 10 kids DIED (not mentioned, referred to as a "potentially serious bowel obstruction") after it was on the market, the book claims that the AAP demanded the vaccine be pulled during trials, failing to mention those trials were being conducted on the general population. In addition the authors try to make it seem that Hepatitis B, a virus most commonly transmitted through sex or IV drug use is lurking behind every corner of childhood. Accurate but philosophically distressing is their justification for the Hepatitis A vaccine (a disease that is completely benign in children causing no long term effects) is that because adults often get the virus from children, that they shoulder the burden of becoming vaccinated, since adults do not comply with screening or vaccination programs. I find this utterly disgusting. If adults want to avoid Hep A, they should be grown ups about it and get vaccinated themselves rather than relying on my kids to get shot up with yet another preservative laden potentially dangerous vaccine. The tone of this chapter certainly has not inspired any faith in me for the rest of the book. I don't believe any practitioner who "allows" or "prohibits" patients to make their own decisions are truly working in any semblance of a partnership."

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've got it. At this point, I skip that chapter. It was an interesting book on my journey to where I'm at now, but I don't find it that helpful anymore. I think it's valuable in that it can introduce the reader to the idea that there are many, many different ways to tackle health problems (and give some good specific ideas), but then to really find answers for any one problem, the reader needs to go further and find actual, detailed sources. I guess my expectations are pretty low regarding a thoughtful, considered approach to vaccination, so while it's annoying, I just skip it now.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page