New York daycare exemption - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 10-12-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just been reading through all the info on NYS school exemptions, but didn't find any info on what to do about day care. I am on long island (very near but not in NYC) and am looking for a family day care for my 2 year old. She is completely unvaxed and I am claiming religious opposition to them.

Is there anything I need to do before I choose a day care, or does my doctor just write religious exemption on the medical form? My understanding also is that people have the right to refuse to accept my daughter.

So how does it work for daycares, family licensed daycares, etc., in NY?

Thanks!!!

Di
X-listed on Finding Your Tribe

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-12-2007, 04:05 PM

The Director made a sarcastic comment, but didn't reject us. My DD loved it there, and everything was fine, every time she went there, like maybe 5-10 times a year. We are in NY, too and claimed religious exemption.
#3 of 3 Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naupakamama View Post
I am just been reading through all the info on NYS school exemptions, but didn't find any info on what to do about day care. I am on long island (very near but not in NYC) and am looking for a family day care for my 2 year old. She is completely unvaxed and I am claiming religious opposition to them.

Is there anything I need to do before I choose a day care, or does my doctor just write religious exemption on the medical form? My understanding also is that people have the write to refuse to accept my daughter :Gloomy

So how does it work for daycares, family licensed daycares, etc., in NY?
Submit your letter in lieu of a vaccination record. Drs have absolutely nothing to do with a religious exemption. You could ask for help with your letter from someone who has "been there" on your tribe board. I might include something like:

"In accordance with NYS law XYZ.123.89, I, Jane Doe, declare for my son John Doe Jr., that our genuine and sincere religious beliefs are opposed to the practice of immunization."

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/newyork.htm
http://www.909shot.com/state-site/NewYork.htm

...but though I'm from LI I did not have to deal with the vax issue while living there.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page