Passing the Flu - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you get the flu from someone who has recently gotten a flu shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 373 Post(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
There are two ways, one direct, one indirect.

The direct way is if you are exposed to someone who had FluMist squirted up their nose. There is considerable debate around here as to how much risk this actually entails, if any.

The indirect way is that someone gets a flu shot, their immune system is temporarily depressed and they catch something, which they can then spread.

The best approach is to keep your immune system humming along and observe good sanitary practices. Don't read online discussion boards, for example (aggravation), eat a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise and wash your hands regularly.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 02:48 PM

"They" say no.

But IMHO, yes.

#4 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

The best approach is to keep your immune system humming along and observe good sanitary practices. Don't read online discussion boards, for example (aggravation), eat a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise and wash your hands regularly.
: But especially the aggravation part! : This happens to me as I meander around MDC sometimes. Maybe we need a de-stress technique while reading here so we can all stay well during the cold/flu season. :
#5 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

All I know is I've been healthy this whole pregnancy but lately I keep getting sick with more and more people getting flu shots in my office!
#6 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
The indirect way is that someone gets a flu shot, their immune system is temporarily depressed and they catch something, which they can then spread.
In what way, specifically, is the immune system depressed? What evidence supports this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3
"They" say no.

But IMHO, yes.
Sounds like you're saying "I reserve the right to choose to believe what I want to believe about this, whether that belief is consistent with the evidence or not.
#7 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 07:26 PM

Once people in your town start getting the Flumist you can catch it from them. They can also come down with it from the vax.

What sucks is this year apparently the virus they are vaxing for is not THE prominant flu virus for the season? Can someone back me on this?

So if you catch flu from a vax shed you can still catch the other type of flu going around naturally.

oh boy! :
#8 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCChanel View Post
Once people in your town start getting the Flumist you can catch it from them. They can also come down with it from the vax.
I'd ask you to provide evidence to support either of these assertions, but the OP's question was:

"Can you get the flu from someone who has recently gotten a flu shot?"

Flumist isn't a "shot".
#9 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Shot and vaccine are used interchangably here.
#10 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymanic View Post
Sounds like you're saying "I reserve the right to choose to believe what I want to believe about this, whether that belief is consistent with the evidence or not.
Yah, I'm pretty sure I made that obvious by typing In My Humble Opinion (IMHO).

Just for the record, LOTS of my opinions are not "consistent with the evidence", but that doesn't make them less valid. It makes them my opinion. And it means I highly question the validity of said "evidence". "They" being the same people who find it necessary to market vaccines in the first place. But that's also pretty obvious by my signature.

(Yes, I'm aware that the flu shot is "inactive" and the flu mist is "weakened" yada yada yada. I still believe you can get the flu from someone who's gotten the flu vaccination)
#11 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCChanel View Post
Shot and vaccine are used interchangably here.
In that case, can you provide any evidence to support your assertions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3
Just for the record, LOTS of my opinions are not "consistent with the evidence", but that doesn't make them less valid.
Just to clarify, you're saying that conclusions which are based on fact and conclusions which are not based on fact should be regarded as equally valid?

Quote:
And it means I highly question the validity of said "evidence".
Does this questioning involve actually looking at the evidence?
#12 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 PM

You don't know me very well do you.
#13 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 PM

And the answer is that I don't believe that flawed/skewed studies = scientific evidence. I believe it= easier marketing.

However, I do have some "scientific world" backup for my statements.

CDC Influenza Pinkbook (page 8 out of 22) regarding the TIV (which as we know is the shot):

"...In one study in a childcare setting, 80% of vaccinated children 8-36 months of age shed at least one virus strain for an average of 7.6 days. In this study, one instance of transmission of vaccine virus to a contact was documented....The frequence of shedding strains by persons 5-49 has not been determined."
#14 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmamaof3 View Post
CDC Influenza Pinkbook (page 8 out of 22) regarding the TIV (which as we know is the shot):

"...In one study in a childcare setting, 80% of vaccinated children 8-36 months of age shed at least one virus strain for an average of 7.6 days. In this study, one instance of transmission of vaccine virus to a contact was documented....The frequence of shedding strains by persons 5-49 has not been determined."
Look closer. That was the LAIV. And as far as that goes, are you aware that that instance was the only one in which this has ever been observed?
#15 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 11:28 PM

Actually, I misread that as you did the first time I looked this over. However, if you scroll down to page 10 you will clearly see that TIV is what is recommended for children ages 6 mo and up and that LAIV is not recommended until at least age 5.

I did notice that this was the only case that "they" were able to correlate to this particular study. I also noticed the complete absence of how many children were involved, etc. Additionally, as a parent, I'm aware of how difficult it may be to get doctors to say anything other than "it's a coincidence" when confronted with vaccine virus transmission or vaccine injury, so again, I take that with a grain of salt. My point is that it is possible.
#16 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Actually, I misread that as you did the first time I looked this over.
If you're still seeing it referring to the inactivated vaccine, you're still misreading it.
#17 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 11:51 PM

Oh, so you're saying that the study went against the CDC's own recommendations? That this study involves 8-36 month olds that were vaccinated with the LAIV which clearly states it is for 5yrs and up?
#18 of 18 Old 11-13-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Oh, so you're saying that the study went against the CDC's own recommendations? That this study involves 8-36 month olds that were vaccinated with the LAIV which clearly states it is for 5yrs and up?
The best clue was in the bit you snipped. Here it is back, and bolded:

In one study in a child care setting, 80% of vaccinated children 8–36 months of age shed at least one virus strain for an average of 7.6 days. In this study, one instance of transmission of vaccine virus to a contact was documented. The transmitted virus retained its attenuated, cold-adapted, temperature-sensitive characteristics. The frequency of shedding of vaccine strains by persons 5–49 years of age has not been determined.

The trivalent inactivated vaccine isn't attenuated, cold-adapted, and temperature sensitive, it's dead.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page