Going around and around and around... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son started daycare in November (I work at the daycare too). They never asked for immunization records, I never offered (they just assumed that he was up to date). About 2 months ago we got audited by the health department, who sent home letters to all the parents who didn't have an up to date shot record in the kids file. Owen got one. I put a letter in Owen's file explaining he has a religious expemption, thinking that would be the end of it for another year. WRONG! We got audited again (which, in the history of this daycare, has NEVER happened twice this close together. What luck!). Anyway, the health department said that the letter wasn't sufficient and I needed to get some forms from the health department. Fine, whatever. So I called the health department this morning to find out exactly what I need. Here's the conversation...

Me- "Hello. My name is Stephanie and I have a son who is in a daycare here in town. I got a note sent home from the health department recently saying that I needed to come in to the health department to get a religious exemption for him."

Lady 1- "A what?"

Me- "A religious exemption for vaccinations so he can attend daycare"

Lady 1- "Wait... you mean.... he doesn't get vaccinations??" (with horror in her voice)

Me- "That's right. Where do I need to go to get the exemption please?"

Lady 1- "Wow. I've never heard of that. Not getting vaccinations. Huh. Why doesn't he get them?"

Me- "I need a RELIGIOUS EXEMPTION please." (trying to remain calm despite her ignorance)

Lady 1- "Well, I guess you would need to get a letter from your religious leader, right?"

Me- "No, I do not need a letter from my religious leader. I just need the appropriate forms. Is there anyone else I can talk to?"

Lady 1- "Yeah.... let me find someone who knows something about this exemption thing."

Me- "Thank you."

~~~Insert waiting music~~~

Lady 2- "Hello this is XXXX from medical records. How can I help you?"

Me- "Hello. My name is Stephanie and I have a son who is in a daycare here in town. I got a note sent home from the health department recently saying that I needed to come in to the health department to get a religious exemption for him."

Lady 2- "Hun, I have no idea what to do about that. I've never even heard of a religious exemption. I just work in medical records."

Me- (laughing) "I realize that. The other lady had no idea who could help me so you were the lucky winner today. Do you know who could help me with this?"

Lady 2- "Not really. Let me get your number and I'll see what I can find out for you."

Me- "Thank you."

(takes my name, ds's name and birthdate and says she'll call back)

Seriously. I get a letter from the health department saying to go there and yet nobody knows what a freaking religious exemption is??? I have a feeling this will be a fun ride today

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM

Stay strong and positive. Sorry ur having to deal with this!

I don't know where you live or what the political climate is there or anything but....

I'd be really careful about giving out too much of my kids information while you try to get the paperwork you need. I assume you'll be filling it out, so, why would anyone need your ds's name or birthday to try to find more information on the actual process of exemption? Be skeptical of these people - it only took a phone call to show you that they don't get it. It only takes a phone call to get police/dfacs involved with cases of "neglect" and whatnot.

If even the administrative people are handling you with horror in their voices... kwim?? Good luck and keep us posted!
#3 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 12:23 PM

Do they make you prove that it's an actual real religious belief? (They do in Ohio...I can't even use the "I'm Catholic and that vaccine uses aborted fetal tissue and I don't believe in it" thing, even though every part of that is true because he's gotten *some* vaccines...apparently in Ohio, that exemption is all or nothing. You either get exempted from all vaccines, or none. Luckily, he has a medical exemption though.

Wouldn't it be easier to get him a medical exemption because he has autism? That's the kind Brandon has (and his doctor was the one that volunteered to give him one--he just writes it across the vaccine form for the school). Or does Ky not have medical exemptions?

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

#4 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM

And according to this, you just need to get a letter notarized (basically swearing that you have religious beliefs against vaccinations)--you don't need anything from the health department...

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/kentucky.htm

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
LOL...um, religious exemption? I'm your sister and as far as I know, you aren't practicing a religion, let alone one that doesn't believe in vaccines... :
Actually, you do not need to belong to a religion that does not believe in vaxing. You need to be religiously opposed on a personal level to the practice of vaccination. I do not belong to a religion and have not gone to church in 10 years. I am religiously opposed to the practice of vaccines. I have personal beliefs that go against vaxing.

Here is the Kentucky law:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/214-00/036.pdf

Looks like you need to write a letter stating your objection, get it notarized and go to the health department to get an exemption.

Medical exemptions are not good compared to religous exemptions because you need one for each vaccine and it's only good for a year.
#6 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks fotomama and CanidFL! After a couple more phone calls I finally got someone who knew what the heck they were talking about. Made an appointment to get down there (at 11 they told me to come at 11:15... LOL.... right.... getting an autistic 4 year old out of the house in a hurry? Not likely). Anyway, once we got down there we ran into some more..... interesting... people but finally got the one person who knew what she was doing. She did her whole "if he doesn't get vaccines he could get sick. If an outbreak occurs at school he could be held out for awhile" etc stuff, I signed the paper (which was NOT the one that had the line in it about knowingly putting my child in danger, which I was ready to add my comments on but it wasn't there!) and got the exemption. Actually pretty easy once I found the right person! She was actually pretty nice too. She tried to push for reasons but I just repeated "I'm religiously opposed to the practice of vaccination" and was very polite and told her I knew she had a job to do so I wasn't going to argue with her, but rather let her say her speech.

#7 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
LOL...um, religious exemption? I'm your sister and as far as I know, you aren't practicing a religion, let alone one that doesn't believe in vaccines... :
I guess that shows how much we actually know about each other, huh?

And no, I do not want a medical exemption. I am religiously opposed to the practice of vaccinations, therefore, I want a religious exemption.

#8 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
AllyRae, if your in OH then you don't need a religous exemption, you can just get a philosophical exemption with no questions asked. StephandOwen, I'm sorry your having these issues!
#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 01:45 PM

I'm not surprised.. I am bracing myself for this when I go for DS's school in a few years..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page