Sleep Positions? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard you're not 'supposed' to sleep on your back while pregnant... something about blood flow to the baby or something.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Because I'm seriously more comfortable on my back sometimes.

What about those sleep pillows for pregnancy? Anyone used/have one of those? Are they really worth $50+ ?

Also... I feel HUGE. Like a pig who is so fat that her belly scrapes the ground and sways side-to-side when she walks. Ugh.

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 01:53 AM

I've always been under the impression that you will know when its time to stop sleeping on your back because it will make you physically uncomfortable to do so, like give you headaches or make you dizzy. I still sleep on my back though I try not to because it can cause baby to take on posterior positioning later on in pregnancy. I've been able to get by just fine with a $15 body pillow between my legs that I cuddle up with, and it makes a world of difference. Any old pillow between your legs can help make sleeping more comfortable and keep your pelvis in better alignment.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#3 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 01:56 AM

Yes, you are not supposed to sleep on your back while pregnant. I personally do sometimes switch to my back during the night if I get too sore from both of my side sleeping positions. I do try to put several pillows under me so I'm not lying totally flat on my back.

I haven't used a pregnancy pillow, but they sure look comfortable. My bradley teacher makes them in about 2 weeks for only $25. She just charges for the material, so maybe you can find someone to make you one for less than store bought ones.

Carolyn

#4 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 AM

I guess you are going to get different answers, but I will say it is fine to sleep on your back. If you look into the anatomy, the blood supply that can be compromised by lying on your back reaches *you* before the baby. You will feel dizzy or lightheaded and adjust your position naturally before baby is at all affected. It is true however that in third trimester you may want to try to be on your side (even ideally your left side) more often to get the baby into an ideal position for birth, but unless you are on full-time bedrest it's probably not going to be an issue.
I've never shelled out $ for special pillows. I just hog lots of regular pillows on our bed!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#5 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hey katie I just noticed that you and I have the same due date! Do you know if you're having a boy or girl?

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#6 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 02:53 AM

I bought a pregnancy pillow, I think it was about $50. : But it is very helpful to me sleeping. It's called "Snoogle" or something like that..It's curved at both ends, and it's long enough that you can use it in different positions. I sleep with the pillow along my back, and the head part under my head (duh) and the leg part pulled between my legs, and pulled up to my chest if that makes sense..Kind of wrapped around my whole body. It keeps me on my side, and keeps my back from aching so much. I love it. And I can use it after if I need a pillow for nursing, or to prop me up in bed.

And if you want to see something cute...He thought it was me. http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/r...0209091013.jpg
#7 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

OMgosh JD - your hubby is too funny! How cute

#8 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 03:00 AM

LOL Thanks. He's not amused that I share his sleeping pictures online. LOL

The curly part at the top there is for your head, your shoulder fits up in the crook, then your head on top of it. I love that pillow.
#9 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
I bought a pregnancy pillow, I think it was about $50. : But it is very helpful to me sleeping. It's called "Snoogle" or something like that..It's curved at both ends, and it's long enough that you can use it in different positions. I sleep with the pillow along my back, and the head part under my head (duh) and the leg part pulled between my legs, and pulled up to my chest if that makes sense..Kind of wrapped around my whole body. It keeps me on my side, and keeps my back from aching so much. I love it. And I can use it after if I need a pillow for nursing, or to prop me up in bed.

And if you want to see something cute...He thought it was me. http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/r...0209091013.jpg

My DH hogs my pillow too, I've started adding an extra pillow to the bed for him to sleep with.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#10 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post
Hey katie I just noticed that you and I have the same due date! Do you know if you're having a boy or girl?
I'm going to say that we're having a surprise and still plan for one, but the tech wasn't too keen on keeping it a secret and blurted out that we're having a boy at the end of my ultrasound

#11 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 PM

I asked my midwife the same question and she said that laying on my back propped up with a few pillows was fine. It's actually one of the best positions to get my back spasms to stop. I never thought I'd be able to sleep practically sitting up!

As for the body pillows. I paid $59 for the Leachco Back n Belly and altho it is SO big, it is so worth it. DBF doesn't care for it unless he gets to use it himself cuz it cuts down on cuddle time. But I find him snuggled up it in after I get out of bed! It's also wonderful to put in a recliner or lay on the sofa. That pillow is still the only thing other than books that I've bought so far for pg or baby!

Happy snoozing!
#12 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM

I haven't been able to sleep on my back since the first tri. My uterus just pulls and it hurts so bad. I really wish I could because I am so sick of sleeping on my sides. If you have a really large belly, like mine, you might want to prop it up with a wedge to keep your ligaments from pulling. A pillow between your legs can help too. I found I need a firmer one this time around.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#13 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

katie - sad! i can't believe your UT did that

also, what's up with being really uncomfortable on my right side, but loving sleeping on my left side?

#14 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM

omg katie i can't believe he just blurted it out

i'm sleeping SO SO SO SO SO much better with my regular king sized pillow behind my back and i have a pregnancy pillow $30 i cuddle with in the front, and i barely move from my left side now once i get all tucked in, if i do move its not till late in the night and then its just to flip to the other side so i rarely end up on my back anymore....just stock up on some pillows

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

#15 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Any old pillow between your legs can help make sleeping more comfortable and keep your pelvis in better alignment.
OMG yes. I've been sleeping better now but a few weeks back I could NOT get to sleep unless I had a pillow between my knees.

I've never been one to sleep on my back, I will lay on my back just to get the kid settled in at night. Hes breech most of the day and takes to standing on my pubic bone/ cervix. I have to shake him down out of my lungs!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4.09 and Bruises
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.11 handfasted to
#16 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Kriket - your poem about canada is a riot

#17 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't stay on my back for long anymore since it's not comfortable like it used to be. I can recline on my back, but not lay down. My lips turn pale after a while, and I feel the weight.

I sleep very well on both left and right side, so I am very glad about that.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then a fast HBAC, then a fast VBAC!!). Planning a third VBAC, again at home, in February 2016.
#18 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 PM

I *try* not to sleep on my back, but it just seems to happen. I go to sleep on my side using a long body pillow and wake up on my back in the morning.
I am much more concerned about baby positioning than about compressing the veina cava. I truly believe that in normal conditions and in a healthy woman, your body would tell you to move if there was a problem about the back position.
Sleeping on your back would increase the risks for a posterior baby and I am also noticing that when I sleep on my back, I often wake up with the baby transverse for now. Definitely don’t want that to become permanent...
It worries me, but there isn’t much I can do since it happens after I am asleep.

Another very helpful one is a pillow that I made during my first preg. It is like the one my chiropractor uses. I don’t normally sleep in it the whole night but it is a great relief to lay down in it for an hour or so.
Like this: http://bellypillow.com/ (go to gallery).
I used a thick rectangle of foam, tapered the ends and cut up a hole for my belly in the middle.
DD also loves to sit in it to watch TV!!! She calls it her bathtub.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#19 of 25 Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 PM

I'm really struggling with this issue also. I definitely feel the most comfortable sleeping on my back. I asked my midwife about it, and she said that generally she recommends women stop sleeping regularly on their backs around 24 weeks, but that I would feel the symptoms of any circulation problems well before it was dangerous for the baby. This reasoning has been a little too seductive for me, so I still sleep on my back a bunch. However, I'm worried if there were symptoms, and I was asleep, that I just wouldn't notice them, so I am trying really hard to sleep on my side as much as possible. I added a pillow between the knees which helps significantly, and at least at first, DH spoons with me to help support my back. Unfortunately, he is more fickle then my pillow, so that only works for so long. Those whole body pillows sound really lovely, I'll have to ask for one for Valentine's day .

Emily mother to Colin 5/3/2009
#20 of 25 Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Argh. I can only sleep on my left side. For some ODD reason, sleeping on my right side hurts my stomach and back. Oh well. Only 3.5 more months!

#21 of 25 Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 PM

Sleep however you are comfortable.

I sleep on my stomach.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#22 of 25 Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 AM

I've always slept on my side so as far as positioning goes I haven't had any problems since getting pregnant. I've always found being on my back uncomfortable. I thought about getting one of those pregnant body pillows but good grief are they expensive!! I sleep with one of our tiny couch throw pillows in between my legs and a really thin old pillow under my belly for support. Much cheaper and just as comfy to me lol.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#23 of 25 Old 02-12-2009, 12:46 PM

So for those of you who like to change positions a lot when you sleep, do the pillows help keep you from doing that? Because I'm pretty sure that I now wake up every time I want to turn over, and I bet I'd feel better rested without those interruptions!
#24 of 25 Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

No, my body pillow ($5!) doesn't keep me from turning over, and yes, I DO wake up every time I want to turn over too! Oh well. At least we have two things to look forward to: right about the time our babies come, it'll be almost summer!

#25 of 25 Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post
I've heard you're not 'supposed' to sleep on your back while pregnant... something about blood flow to the baby or something.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Because I'm seriously more comfortable on my back sometimes.

What about those sleep pillows for pregnancy? Anyone used/have one of those? Are they really worth $50+ ?

Also... I feel HUGE. Like a pig who is so fat that her belly scrapes the ground and sways side-to-side when she walks. Ugh.
I think it is bc the baby belly puts pressure on an artery, cutting off oxygen. I'm not sure, but I'm sure you could google it. I don't know how you feel about walmart, but last time I was there they had body pillows for $10. That's what I used when I was preggers. They are not as dense as the boppy pillows, but they serve the same function and work very well IMO.

BTW, how you and the little girl doin? You do remember talking to me a few weeks ago, right?

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page