Anyone else still wrapping their brain around - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 03-17-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the fact that a baby is actually going to be born at the end of this?

It's so surreal to me and I don't think it's just because it's taken us forever and a day to get to this point

I see my belly growing, I feel the baby moving but part of me feels like I'm going to be pregnant with this moving kicking thing inside forever. Even though I've seen it many times on u/s, I still am amazed that a baby is really inside there.

There's this huge disconnect that at the end of this there's going to be a real baby to parent. It's not that I think anything bad is going to happen or that it's too good to be true, it just seems like something so profound should come with more, I don't know, fireworks or something.

Pregnancy really is pretty mind bending.

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I'm in denial Every time I try to wrap my mind around it, all I can think is, "and then, in a couple years, he's going to turn 2! :"

dd (9) ds (7), ds (4) & ds (1)
#3 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 AM

I'm still waiting for it to sink in. I think the first couple weeks he's here, I'll be waiting for his real parents to come pick him up at this rate. lol

#4 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's crazy isn't it. I can't believe there is life inside of me though I feel it daily! We can't WAIT to see what our baby looks like.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then a fast HBAC, then a fast VBAC!!). Planning a third VBAC, again at home, in February 2016.
#5 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 09:49 AM

I've felt these same feelings too. Some days I'll be so busy in the mornings that by the time I sit down and relax in the evening it hits me that I haven't thought about having a baby all day! Other times I remind myself subconsciously in funny ways - like I'll look at DH, who has brown eyes, and wonder if Olivia will have his brown eyes or my green eyes. Then I realize, we're going to know the answer to that just a few months after she's here! I often feel excited, like I can't wait for her to get here. It all seems pretty surreal to me.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#6 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I'm in denial Every time I try to wrap my mind around it, all I can think is, "and then, in a couple years, he's going to turn 2! :"
LOL! That thought went through my head this morning! And my reaction was huh, I can't picture that.
#7 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM

I'm completely with you.
#8 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaG View Post
I see my belly growing, I feel the baby moving but part of me feels like I'm going to be pregnant with this moving kicking thing inside forever.
This. I feel like I've so adjusted to being pregnant, I have to remind myself that pregnancy is just a stage I'm going through, and in no time at all we're going to have a baby and our entire life will be different than it was before. It's crazy to think about. I've started thinking about this summer and how I'll have her everywhere I go. Kind of scary and exciting and awesome at the same time.

I do think it will be weird when she's outside, and I don't feel her kicking and moving from inside anymore.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#9 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

has anyone else had sudden flashes of realization that in a short time baby will be here.

I keep forgetting that the point of being pregnancy is to produce a baby and then suddenly I will look down and go "OH MY GOD, IM having a baby!" To which DH asks if I am insane because we've known for quite a while now that I am not just packing on the poundage.

Its still hard to believe I think I can't let myself think too deeply about it or I won't know what to do. I could just sit for 2 hours thinking oh my god oh my god I am really doing this. I am going to be responsible for another living thing...

Pretty obvious this is baby number 1 I imagine.
#10 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 PM

I'm completely with you. I've worked so hard to get to this place, it is amazing to think about holding a real baby in a few weeks.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#11 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla983 View Post
I'm still waiting for it to sink in. I think the first couple weeks he's here, I'll be waiting for his real parents to come pick him up at this rate. lol
This cracks me up :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24
Its still hard to believe I think I can't let myself think too deeply about it or I won't know what to do. I could just sit for 2 hours thinking oh my god oh my god I am really doing this. I am going to be responsible for another living thing...
Oh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101
I feel like I've so adjusted to being pregnant, I have to remind myself that pregnancy is just a stage I'm going through
Adjusted is exactly the word I was looking for! If I didn't have a calendar to remind me, I wouldn't think there's really any end in sight.

Well thanks for the reassurance everyone - I'm glad to know I have company .

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#12 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
There are some days I forget I'm pregnant...and then he whomps me. I'll admit it's still not really sunk in, yet so...knowing he'll be here in about 2 months is scaring and exciting at the same time.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#13 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
There are some days I forget I'm pregnant...
Only when I wake up. If I wake up in the morning, for a moment while I'm coming out of my dream I won't be thinking of it.

Then I try to move.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#14 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 05:04 PM

Oh, this forum is so great. Yes, yes, yes. I'm sick and tired of being pregnant but having a REALLY hard time really grasping there's a baby about to enter our lives. Bizarro.
#15 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 05:57 PM

This is my third and I'm still in awe that there is a baby growing inside!

I remember giving birth to my first and thinking WOW! He really was inside a baby REALLY was in there growing?!

Its sounds so dumb cause "what else would it be in there"? But really I was just so in awe of the whole experience.

and really I still am :
#16 of 23 Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
People ask me sometimes how I'm feeling, or if I'm getting tired of being pregnant yet. And ya know...in some ways I don't feel "pregnant" Its like, this is just how my body IS. Sure, rolling over isn't easy, bending over is pretty much impossible, I pee nonstop, my belly is on the large side, and I feel constant movement.. But all of those things have been going on so long, I just take it for granted as "normal" Last time, thinking about the baby and pregnancy and anticipating everything pretty much took over my mind. And well, thinking about that baby in particular is STILL taking over my mind. Its hard to put much mental energy into a baby thats not even here yet, when I'm so busy with the one that is! Its terrifying thinking that in a couple years, I'll not only have a 2 year old but a 4 year old too. Eeeek!!! Toddlers are hard. I'm trying to convince this one to turn 5 on his first birthday. I hear 5's a nice age.

dd (9) ds (7), ds (4) & ds (1)
#17 of 23 Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 PM

I just had this terrifying O.M.G. moment this morning. I was waiting at the hospital for my Aunt to have her little boy and when I went in to visit I was so in awe of this little thing that was just inside the belly hours before. But there is still this denial that I'm actually having one too in a little over a month! Perhaps its because I don't have the time to lay around and daydream and fold and refold my bitty baby clothes 5x a day. I know the realities of parenting.......

But I feel so terrible like this baby is getting cheated out of a lot of prep and positive vibes. Its like- we have the stuff, we know the drill, and we'll just have the baby and move on with life as usual. No marathon nursing sessions on the couch, no lounging in bed for hours on end....... Its just really hitting me that my life changed the minute I had my ds1 and now we are just adding a slightly new dimension.

I am especially excited for you brand new mamas. Theres nothing like it in the world, and you only get one chance for it! So enjoy it!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#18 of 23 Old 03-19-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldavis24 View Post
I keep forgetting that the point of being pregnancy is to produce a baby and then suddenly I will look down and go "OH MY GOD, IM having a baby!" To which DH asks if I am insane because we've known for quite a while now that I am not just packing on the poundage.
Pretty obvious this is baby number 1 I imagine.
I'm on number two and I still feel like that :

Oh my gosh, I'm really having a little girl! Wow! It's SO cool! And weird. I feel like I've always been pregnant, and always will be

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#19 of 23 Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 AM

It must be something about that two-month-out mark, because in the last few days I've gone from feeling pretty well prepared to "oh, *&%$, this is really HAPPENING" and all of a sudden I don't feel ready anymore! We're excited, we're about as ready as any first-time parents can be (still have things to buy, of course), but there's something so unreal about the realization that in 8-12 short weeks, our life will have changed completely. There's so much we don't know, and sometimes it gets overwhelming.

So I'm with everyone here. But we'll all be fine when the time comes. I've always figured that no one is ever completely ready to be a parent (and if you think you are, you're probably delusional!).

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#20 of 23 Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoma View Post

I remember giving birth to my first and thinking WOW! He really was inside a baby REALLY was in there growing?!

Its sounds so dumb cause "what else would it be in there"? But really I was just so in awe of the whole experience.

and really I still am :

This is exactly how I felt with my first too! EXACTLY!

This time around Im better understanding that there is a baby in there but its still hard to believe. I think last time I also didn't really believe that I would go into labor and have a baby at the end of it and this time I know thats what happens so I can be more prepared. I think I was in denial or something last time! Not because I wasn't excited and ready to have a baby but just because it was so new and surreal.

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)
#21 of 23 Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 AM

This is my second, and I still have days when I sort of forget what this is all about and that the end result will be a baby. Lately I've even looked in the mirror a couple times and thought, "Why do I look like I'm in a funhouse mirror?"- it doesn't feel like my belly should already be as hugely full of baby as it is.

I think I'm more freaked out at the idea of juggling two kids than I was about my first one. Two days ago DH mentioned that we only have 40-some days left of this pregnancy and it just didn't seem possible *at all*.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#22 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 12:00 AM

I had a freak-out panicky moment a couple of days ago where I had a screaming tantruming toddler in one arm and it went on forever and ever and I couldn't help but think "what if I had another kid to deal with too?" It was like this sudden realization that I was going to have to divide my attention between two kids and one of them in invariably going to get the short end of the stick while the other one needs me. And WTH am I going to do if they are BOTH freaking out?!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#23 of 23 Old 03-21-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I had a freak-out panicky moment a couple of days ago where I had a screaming tantruming toddler in one arm and it went on forever and ever and I couldn't help but think "what if I had another kid to deal with too?" It was like this sudden realization that I was going to have to divide my attention between two kids and one of them in invariably going to get the short end of the stick while the other one needs me. And WTH am I going to do if they are BOTH freaking out?!
Oh my gosh, this made me laugh so much! Thank you!!!! (Laughing so I don't cry, that is. ;-)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page