Hello from South Korea - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. My name is Ally and I'm currently stationed with my family over here in wonderful South korea (thanks army ).

We are a delayed/alt. vaxing family, co sleep, babywearing, cloth diapering, and we try very hard to be crunchy and green etc.

I'm sure I'm going to love this forum, I can't wait to start posting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 AM

: Hi! Oh, I'm so excited to meet someone else who is in South Korea and has the same parenting values. My husband is also stationed here because he's in the army. We live on Camp Henry. How long have you been here? How do you like it?
#3 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Glad to see you're already making friends!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 tea6.gif

#4 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 PM

Welcome! I am sure you will love it here.

I just wanted to say that I am an American--but I have fallen in love with watching Korean Dramas online! I would love to hear more about South Korea. I hope to visit there one day. I love the fashion styles there.

Take care,
Lisa
#5 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
: Hi! Oh, I'm so excited to meet someone else who is in South Korea and has the same parenting values. My husband is also stationed here because he's in the army. We live on Camp Henry. How long have you been here? How do you like it?
Well - I'm non command sponsored up in Camp Casey - I think if I was in area II or III I'd be a lot happier lol. We might be getting a car this week though. I've been here for TWO years with no car. That's been really rough.

Other than that, it's not too bad. Except everyone here things I'm a wackadoo for trying to be green and CDing and what not. How do you like it? Is Camp Henry by Yongsan or more in the Osan area.
#6 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 08:56 AM

Camp Henry is in Daegu - an hour north of Pusan and 3 hours south of Yongsan. How have you been getting around without a car? We have our car here but I would never drive after seeing how crazy people can be!

I like it a lot here. Its sort of sad when I meet someone here who's been here awhile and they say that it gets better after so many months. I really liked it when I got here except all the smog and the yellow dust gives my daughter and I allergies. We go out shopping and exploring a lot. Two days ago we found Costco here, haha. The parks near here are huge and we like going to those as well. My daughter and I get stir crazy sometimes but then we just go out and take a taxi to go shopping when my husband is at work.

We also found a cute little store where a lady makes Waldorf dolls. She even orders her fabric from Germany.

Most of all, I'm happy my family is finally together since my husband came here a couple of months before us.

Is there a lot of things to do over there? Do you go down to Seoul a lot? My husband showed me where you guys live on a map. It looks like 4 hours away. Have you met anyone else who CDs or practices attachment parenting? Today we enrolled in WIC and the representative told me that I was the only person she's seen that exclusively breastfeeds. :
#7 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 07:29 PM

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#8 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Welcome! My husband and I met in S. Korea while he was stationed at Camp Red Cloud and I was teaching in Duckjeong (about half-way between Camp Casey and Camp Red Cloud). I haven't quite forgiven the U.S. Army for taking me *away* from Korea and am hoping we end up there again after hubby gets out of the military!
#9 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
Camp Henry is in Daegu - an hour north of Pusan and 3 hours south of Yongsan. How have you been getting around without a car? We have our car here but I would never drive after seeing how crazy people can be!

I like it a lot here. Its sort of sad when I meet someone here who's been here awhile and they say that it gets better after so many months. I really liked it when I got here except all the smog and the yellow dust gives my daughter and I allergies. We go out shopping and exploring a lot. Two days ago we found Costco here, haha. The parks near here are huge and we like going to those as well. My daughter and I get stir crazy sometimes but then we just go out and take a taxi to go shopping when my husband is at work.

We also found a cute little store where a lady makes Waldorf dolls. She even orders her fabric from Germany.

Most of all, I'm happy my family is finally together since my husband came here a couple of months before us.

Is there a lot of things to do over there? Do you go down to Seoul a lot? My husband showed me where you guys live on a map. It looks like 4 hours away. Have you met anyone else who CDs or practices attachment parenting? Today we enrolled in WIC and the representative told me that I was the only person she's seen that exclusively breastfeeds. :
no i haven't really met anyone that APs but i keep trying to push it on my preggo friends. But I'm definetly the only one who CDs. Yeah the WIC chick here looked at me like I was nuts when I said I didn't need the formula drafts. She was like well you can take them and keep them just in case. I just nicely said no thanks lol, there would be no case where she'd need it. We are going to Seoul tomorrow. We usually dont because it's a two hour bus ride from casey to yongsan. But we are getting a car tomorrow so i'll be making more trips. we should meet up! i'm so friggin bored and it's hard for me to hang out with the spouses here because our ideals and beliefs are SO different.
#10 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickjul View Post
Welcome! My husband and I met in S. Korea while he was stationed at Camp Red Cloud and I was teaching in Duckjeong (about half-way between Camp Casey and Camp Red Cloud). I haven't quite forgiven the U.S. Army for taking me *away* from Korea and am hoping we end up there again after hubby gets out of the military!
you mean you wanna come back here must be better at CRC than at casey lol

i can't stand not having a real grocery store
#11 of 18 Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyAsh View Post
you mean you wanna come back here must be better at CRC than at casey lol

i can't stand not having a real grocery store
Oh, if we go back, we'll be on the local economy. There is no way in **** that I'd go back in any capacity related to the military. But I do love semi-rural S. Korea. :-)
#12 of 18 Old 12-13-2008, 05:28 AM

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#13 of 18 Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 PM

Welcome to the boards.
#14 of 18 Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 PM

I'll PM you!
#15 of 18 Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 PM

Welcome!!! I've never been there, but my Mom is from South Korea!

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
#16 of 18 Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 AM

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#17 of 18 Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 PM

Welcome to MDC from another military wife!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#18 of 18 Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 AM

Welcome to MDC!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page