Hello from South Korea - Mothering Forums

 
Thread Tools
#1 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
 
AllyAsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camp Casey, Korea
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. My name is Ally and I'm currently stationed with my family over here in wonderful South korea (thanks army ).

We are a delayed/alt. vaxing family, co sleep, babywearing, cloth diapering, and we try very hard to be crunchy and green etc.

I'm sure I'm going to love this forum, I can't wait to start posting!
AllyAsh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 AM
 
michelleklu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Drum, NY
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Hi! Oh, I'm so excited to meet someone else who is in South Korea and has the same parenting values. My husband is also stationed here because he's in the army. We live on Camp Henry. How long have you been here? How do you like it?
michelleklu is offline  
#3 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 PM
 
MoonWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pemberly
Posts: 3,851
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Glad to see you're already making friends!


 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 * 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 *  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 tea6.gif

MoonWillow is offline  
 
#4 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 PM
 
LisainCalifornia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome! I am sure you will love it here.

I just wanted to say that I am an American--but I have fallen in love with watching Korean Dramas online! I would love to hear more about South Korea. I hope to visit there one day. I love the fashion styles there.

Take care,
Lisa
LisainCalifornia is offline  
#5 of 18 Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
AllyAsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camp Casey, Korea
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
: Hi! Oh, I'm so excited to meet someone else who is in South Korea and has the same parenting values. My husband is also stationed here because he's in the army. We live on Camp Henry. How long have you been here? How do you like it?
Well - I'm non command sponsored up in Camp Casey - I think if I was in area II or III I'd be a lot happier lol. We might be getting a car this week though. I've been here for TWO years with no car. That's been really rough.

Other than that, it's not too bad. Except everyone here things I'm a wackadoo for trying to be green and CDing and what not. How do you like it? Is Camp Henry by Yongsan or more in the Osan area.
AllyAsh is offline  
#6 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 08:56 AM
 
michelleklu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Drum, NY
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Camp Henry is in Daegu - an hour north of Pusan and 3 hours south of Yongsan. How have you been getting around without a car? We have our car here but I would never drive after seeing how crazy people can be!

I like it a lot here. Its sort of sad when I meet someone here who's been here awhile and they say that it gets better after so many months. I really liked it when I got here except all the smog and the yellow dust gives my daughter and I allergies. We go out shopping and exploring a lot. Two days ago we found Costco here, haha. The parks near here are huge and we like going to those as well. My daughter and I get stir crazy sometimes but then we just go out and take a taxi to go shopping when my husband is at work.

We also found a cute little store where a lady makes Waldorf dolls. She even orders her fabric from Germany.

Most of all, I'm happy my family is finally together since my husband came here a couple of months before us.

Is there a lot of things to do over there? Do you go down to Seoul a lot? My husband showed me where you guys live on a map. It looks like 4 hours away. Have you met anyone else who CDs or practices attachment parenting? Today we enrolled in WIC and the representative told me that I was the only person she's seen that exclusively breastfeeds. :
michelleklu is offline  
#7 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
 
*LoveBugMama*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*
 
*LoveBugMama* is offline  
#8 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
 
vickjul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome! My husband and I met in S. Korea while he was stationed at Camp Red Cloud and I was teaching in Duckjeong (about half-way between Camp Casey and Camp Red Cloud). I haven't quite forgiven the U.S. Army for taking me *away* from Korea and am hoping we end up there again after hubby gets out of the military!
vickjul is offline  
#9 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
AllyAsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camp Casey, Korea
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
Camp Henry is in Daegu - an hour north of Pusan and 3 hours south of Yongsan. How have you been getting around without a car? We have our car here but I would never drive after seeing how crazy people can be!

I like it a lot here. Its sort of sad when I meet someone here who's been here awhile and they say that it gets better after so many months. I really liked it when I got here except all the smog and the yellow dust gives my daughter and I allergies. We go out shopping and exploring a lot. Two days ago we found Costco here, haha. The parks near here are huge and we like going to those as well. My daughter and I get stir crazy sometimes but then we just go out and take a taxi to go shopping when my husband is at work.

We also found a cute little store where a lady makes Waldorf dolls. She even orders her fabric from Germany.

Most of all, I'm happy my family is finally together since my husband came here a couple of months before us.

Is there a lot of things to do over there? Do you go down to Seoul a lot? My husband showed me where you guys live on a map. It looks like 4 hours away. Have you met anyone else who CDs or practices attachment parenting? Today we enrolled in WIC and the representative told me that I was the only person she's seen that exclusively breastfeeds. :
no i haven't really met anyone that APs but i keep trying to push it on my preggo friends. But I'm definetly the only one who CDs. Yeah the WIC chick here looked at me like I was nuts when I said I didn't need the formula drafts. She was like well you can take them and keep them just in case. I just nicely said no thanks lol, there would be no case where she'd need it. We are going to Seoul tomorrow. We usually dont because it's a two hour bus ride from casey to yongsan. But we are getting a car tomorrow so i'll be making more trips. we should meet up! i'm so friggin bored and it's hard for me to hang out with the spouses here because our ideals and beliefs are SO different.
AllyAsh is offline  
#10 of 18 Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
 
AllyAsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camp Casey, Korea
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickjul View Post
Welcome! My husband and I met in S. Korea while he was stationed at Camp Red Cloud and I was teaching in Duckjeong (about half-way between Camp Casey and Camp Red Cloud). I haven't quite forgiven the U.S. Army for taking me *away* from Korea and am hoping we end up there again after hubby gets out of the military!
you mean you wanna come back here must be better at CRC than at casey lol

i can't stand not having a real grocery store
AllyAsh is offline  
#11 of 18 Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 AM
 
vickjul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyAsh View Post
you mean you wanna come back here must be better at CRC than at casey lol

i can't stand not having a real grocery store
Oh, if we go back, we'll be on the local economy. There is no way in **** that I'd go back in any capacity related to the military. But I do love semi-rural S. Korea. :-)
vickjul is offline  
#12 of 18 Old 12-13-2008, 05:28 AM
 
majikfaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 16,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
majikfaerie is offline  
#13 of 18 Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 PM
 
Irishmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the bat cave with heartmama
Posts: 45,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the boards.
Irishmommy is offline  
#14 of 18 Old 12-17-2008, 06:33 PM
 
michelleklu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Drum, NY
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll PM you!
michelleklu is offline  
#15 of 18 Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 PM
 
RGsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome!!! I've never been there, but my Mom is from South Korea!

~RG Natural Babies Free Shipping on several items and orders over $60!  BumGenius, Tiny Tush, Rumparooz, RMD, Rockin Green & more!  We have all your diapering needs!
RGsMom is offline  
#16 of 18 Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 AM
 
lovbeingamommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

lovbeingamommy is offline  
#17 of 18 Old 12-18-2008, 09:23 PM
 
kirstenb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Diego County
Posts: 5,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to MDC from another military wife!


Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
kirstenb is offline  
#18 of 18 Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 AM
 
Kidzaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Writing my Happily Ever After
Posts: 15,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to MDC!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Kidzaplenty is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 1,837

12 members and 1,825 guests
91mj , Beccamom32 , Hyacinthe , idler , KerriB , Kolkad , manyhatsmom , OliviaBenjamin , Realdeal , sarrahlnorris , skyrocket , xsukix
Most users ever online was 21,860, 06-22-2018 at 08:45 PM.