Has anyone homeschooled a stepchild? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 03-16-2004, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always planned on homeschooling my children -- have one 6 month old now so it's not come up yet -- but my stepdaughter age 5 is now in public school kindergarten. My husband recently asked me to consider homeschooling her if she stays unhappy there.
Has anyone done this? Have any special issues come up wrt stepfamily homeschooling?

Thanks,
Cassidy
Mom to Simon 9/03 stepmom to Mia 7/98
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-17-2004, 04:19 PM

group that are-well they are their kids but their dh is the step dad.
The main thing is the custody thing. If the non custodial parent doesn't want the child homeschooled they often seem to win. I don't know what your situation is, but that might be something to consider.

One that is her dh is very big on if he doesn't want her to go back to court keeping their child on a STRICT regimented schedule...

I wish I could help you more...
#3 of 5 Old 03-21-2004, 06:47 AM

The biggest issue is if you have a noncustodial parent who gets their jollies by taking their ex to court, this is an issue which will provide them which much jollification. We could have built a school with what it's cost us trying to homeschool my stepsons.

#4 of 5 Old 03-22-2004, 12:29 AM

I home schooled my now 8 year old SS when he was in kindergarten. His birth mom was totaly out of the pictue so I didn't have to worry about that... (infact I have legaly adopted him and his brother now)

It went well, I really bonded with him and learned a lot about what kind of learner he is...which helps now that he is older and in public school.
#5 of 5 Old 03-23-2004, 12:03 AM

I have a friend who started homeschooling her Stepchild in Kindergarten. It's been aound 7 years now. The mom was pretty much out of the picture. It probably depends a lot on your situation with the mom.

It has been a great experience for them. Right now the child is in public school for one year, but is probably coming back home next year. The mom also homeschools their younger children now, too. She's done a great job. Public school was definately not for him, and he has thrived with her.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page