Homeschooling 6yo with a younger brother - logistics question - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-17-2015, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Homeschooling 6yo with a younger brother - logistics question

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I can't seem to find a thread...please point me in the right direction if my question is redundant!

We have a 6yo and a 3.5 year old. And my question is about all the stuff that the 3.5 year old is engaged in right now as part of his brother's homeschooling (mainly in science, we are using primarily R.E.A.L. Science Odessy with a bunch of supplements). He's having a good time, but I know he's not (and shouldn't be) absorbing the lessons in the same way as the 6 year old. So when my little guy gets to be 6 do I repeat the science curriculum with him? Literacy and math I can see how working side by side at different levels works out fine...science and social studies seems a bit more tricky. How does this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-17-2015, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
While I haven't done it yet, I would expect to use the same curriculum for your younger child when they reach the same age as the older one. The exception in my book would be if they are close in age using the same curriculum at the same time, or if you were doing unschooling or project based learning that depended on the interests of each child.

ETA: also, when you do repeat it, you might have your older child help teach the younger one. That kind of repetition is really good for aiding comprehension and retention of the subject matter.

Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ DH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
= DD
(1/2004) & DS
(6/2013) & One on the way
(4/2016)

#3 of 3 Old 01-17-2015, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sure, I'd repeat it when your younger kid is 6. Assuming you end up feeling like it was a good way for your older kid to learn science concepts you think are important, and you feel it will work equally well for the younger one, and you don't come up with any ideas about teaching science you like better between now and then.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page