Waldorf Approach To Homeschool? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 08-29-2015, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Waldorf Approach To Homeschool?

Hi, I have a feeling this has been asked in the past but I will express my curiosity none the less....
Does anyone follow a Waldorf approach to homeschooling beyond preschool? We did a lot of crafts, dancing, music but my own knowledge and anthrosorphoric development is limited, lol. My children participate in baking, gardening, cooking etc daily.
I am following a curriculum for math, language arts, history, science, music and art but I would like to find a way to incorporate other developmental aspects into my kids education. I am on a tight budget but would like to have them experience more of their creative sides.
They are kindergarten and first grade and have been trained sight words but have a good deal of Grimms Fairy Tales memorized. I will cross post this on the homeschooling forum in case some mamas on there would know more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-30-2015, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBetty View Post
Hi, I have a feeling this has been asked in the past but I will express my curiosity none the less....
Does anyone follow a Waldorf approach to homeschooling beyond preschool? We did a lot of crafts, dancing, music but my own knowledge and anthrosorphoric development is limited, lol. My children participate in baking, gardening, cooking etc daily.
I am following a curriculum for math, language arts, history, science, music and art but I would like to find a way to incorporate other developmental aspects into my kids education. I am on a tight budget but would like to have them experience more of their creative sides.
They are kindergarten and first grade and have been trained sight words but have a good deal of Grimms Fairy Tales memorized. I will cross post this on the homeschooling forum in case some mamas on there would know more.
I'm not sure quite what you're asking...and hopefully your cross-post got you some answers.

We use a Waldorf-based approach with our kids. The ones still at home are 9th grade, 6th grade, 4th grade and 2yo. It's not hard to incorporate drawing, painting, singing, movement, and rhythm into your day...no matter how old you are!

Our approach to math has been Waldorf-inspired, but not solely using Waldorf materials (for that matter, none of our lessons are *solely* done with official Waldorf materials or curriculum). We use simple approaches that get more complex as we learn together, always using books, art, and hands-on experience. Good places to look are: Oak Meadow, LiveEd, and any Waldorf-inspired teaching or parenting blogs you can find. Many of the Waldorf toy sites have links that are super useful.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 23, 22, 20, 14, 11, 9 and 2 . Partner to my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 of 4 Old 08-31-2015, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
We use Oak Meadow curriculum for our 6th grader, which is Waldorf inspired but not strictly Waldorf. If you're on a tight budget and teaching younger children, you might like Wee Folk Art as a resource.

Me
+ DH
= DD
(1/2004) & DS
(6/2013) & One on the way
(4/2016)

#4 of 4 Old 09-19-2015, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We are Waldorf-inspired as well, currently using Waldorf Essentials which is very affordable, approachable and lots of support available. Our favorite aspects of Waldorf are the emphasis on arts, simplicity, nature and a very deliberate and slower way to introduce academics and certain topics at certain times.

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page